The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » In the market for a Hot Rod (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
The Dragster is awesome looking!
http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/......_id=3537

I need to get that one for sure.

Mike
Bill Groome
View Profile
New user
Columbia, S.C.
89 Posts

Profile of Bill Groome
The design on the Dragster has changed. We still have some left with the original design. It's a great hot rod and I am partial to the original design myself. Thanks for mentioning it.
All the Best,
Bill Groome (owner)
www.MadhatterMagicShop.com
Madhatter International
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Hi all!

Get the original dragster while they last. You will not be disappointed. Clever trick! Great to fool those who know the hot rod too! Madhatter is excellent to deal with. I love doing business with them.

Mike Smile
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
You're welcome Bill.

:)
Dale J. O'Neill
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I only have
132 Posts

Profile of Dale J. O'Neill
I bought my Hot Rod Sets from Williams Magic in Tucson. The set is 5 Rods (used 3 at a time) perfectly matched and made of clear acrylic with the jewels set flush on the rods.

I am always playing with them and still working on the best switch to use since I have to change the rod twice with my presentation.

Twist
Twist,

Magically misdirecting you, one effect at a time.....

www.misdirectionist.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
I switched from Hot Rod to Chad Long's Jump Drives a few months back but still hold a warm spot for the classic Hot Rod.

How do you folks do it twice to the same person?
Even if they can choose another color the counting system spoils it.

I also hand it out when in the half and half state. After the gems have all turned to the selected color I will say that I can also make them change back again, only this time it will happen in their hands. So I have them hold their hand out flat, palm up. I place the rod on their hand and tell them to give it a shake. It appears to them that it didn't work but then I ask them to turn it over and they see that the other side has changed. I then usually tell them that they just didn't shake it hard enough to get both sides to change. Then they usually start shaking it really hard. Most specs are convinced by that point that the shaking has something to do with it.
Doing the routine this way, the rod is already in their hand so they can examine it if they wish. I don't like handing things out and insisting they examine something.

It's a trick I've been doing for 40 years but I still enjoy it.
Bill
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2008-05-19 23:59, Bendy wrote:
...I would like to state that I did "The Amazing Jumping Arrow" shortly after, (which uses the exact same move), and she was absolutely baffled. ...I still got it.

Yes, Bendy! That's the one I get the best reactions from! It's aluminum, so I can use the "Roswell UFO" leftover material as a premise.

I do miss my clear hot rod. I used to do the Clear Hot Rod, then I'd change it into a clear die with gems, roll it into a ball with gems, then clap my hands together making it a disc with gems! I gotta get that clear hot rod again along with "Gem Busters". Gotta wait till payday though Smile

Doug
Dennis
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Dennis
Loved this effect since I was
a Kid!
I tell people it's a
Sample Display for Rhinestone Salesmen.
Flies right by, no further questions asked!
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
The paddle move was the very first sleight of hand moved I ever learned when I was about 12 years old. I got a few paddles in a magic set (The Great Houdini Delux Magic Show). So much good stuff in there from a very, very basic cups & balls routine, spunge bunnies, etc. The paddle stuff intrigued me. Then I never touched a paddle for 20 years. I ended up ordering something last year at http://www.magictrickstore.com and as a free bonus gift, received a hot rod. Right away, I did the move as if I had never stopped practicing it. I then watched the DVD that came with it and learned a few other moves like the one mentioned in this thread. http://www.magictrickstore.com/hotrod-with-p-34145.html is the hot rod I'm reffering to. You get two rods so you can do the trick twice for the same spectator. The hot rods themselves are of poor quality in my opinion (made out of cheap wood), but the DVD is worth the price of admission. I learned how to even conceal a second rod in my hand while doing the trick and then switching rods right in front of the audience, etc. Very cool DVD in my opinion.

Gonna get that Amazing Jumping Arrow as it sounds like an awesome routine. It kind of reminds me of the jumping lines routine I used to do as a kid with my first paddle.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2011-10-17 18:34, videoman wrote:
I switched from Hot Rod to Chad Long's Jump Drives a few months back but still hold a warm spot for the classic Hot Rod.

How do you folks do it twice to the same person?
Even if they can choose another color the counting system spoils it.

I also hand it out when in the half and half state. After the gems have all turned to the selected color I will say that I can also make them change back again, only this time it will happen in their hands. So I have them hold their hand out flat, palm up. I place the rod on their hand and tell them to give it a shake. It appears to them that it didn't work but then I ask them to turn it over and they see that the other side has changed. I then usually tell them that they just didn't shake it hard enough to get both sides to change. Then they usually start shaking it really hard. Most specs are convinced by that point that the shaking has something to do with it.
Doing the routine this way, the rod is already in their hand so they can examine it if they wish. I don't like handing things out and insisting they examine something.

It's a trick I've been doing for 40 years but I still enjoy it.
Bill

I like your idea of having the spec change it back. I stopped using my hot rod when I lost a rhinestone in the non gimmick-ed hot rod, the one with the same colored gems on both sides. I use to do a pocket switch, if they asked to see the rod, when I put in away.
Thanks again!
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2011-10-19 10:17, metaljohn wrote:
...Gonna get that Amazing Jumping Arrow as it sounds like an awesome routine. It kind of reminds me of the jumping lines routine I used to do as a kid with my first paddle.

Here's the link:

http://mymagic.com/young.htm

That's one you'll DO! I love it! Smile
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
I'm not saying this trick doesn't have a place for beginners in magic (irrespective of their age) as it teaches a few pretty decent magical principles.

However, would you honestly work this trick if you are pro/semi-pro? I really don't know as I don't use it. To my mind, it's something that just doesn't stand up well enough. Moreover, if you are working it at tables, surely there's going to be a number of occasions when some people can't even see the darn thing!

Now let's consider the force (now even referred to as the 'hot rod force')

Magi: Give me a number from 1-6
Spec: 1
Magi: Okay, 1 SPELLS with 3 Letters, so let's SPELL O-N-E Smile
Other Specs (that have a brain) sit there thinking: But he asked for a number from 1-6, and if he's now saying 1 spells with three letters, well surely so does T-W-O and so does S-I-X!

Just my point of view of course - but surely there's a lot more powerful magical effects out there to impress people with?
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yeah, Barry there is...but. It seems the simple stuff fries! Sponge balls for example. I know magi who would NOT touch a sponge ball for anything. Look at some of the reactions sponge balls get. Same with the hot rod. I know what you mean about the force. There are MUCH better ways! That is not a problem with Amazing Jumping Arrow, or Jumping Gems.

The classic Hot Rod needs a better routine than the standard, "Pick a number from one to six." Having two Hot Rods really helps for obvious reasons. Sure pro's/semi pro's use the Hot Rod! For one-on-one close-up? Why not? Smile

Doug
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
Jack Miller sells great Hot Rods and Gem Busters.Gem Busters can be done with the Hot Rod.

http://www.jackmillermagic.com/products.html

Paul
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2011-10-20 11:19, Merc Man wrote:
I'm not saying this trick doesn't have a place for beginners in magic (irrespective of their age) as it teaches a few pretty decent magical principles.

However, would you honestly work this trick if you are pro/semi-pro? I really don't know as I don't use it. To my mind, it's something that just doesn't stand up well enough. Moreover, if you are working it at tables, surely there's going to be a number of occasions when some people can't even see the darn thing!

Now let's consider the force (now even referred to as the 'hot rod force')

Magi: Give me a number from 1-6
Spec: 1
Magi: Okay, 1 SPELLS with 3 Letters, so let's SPELL O-N-E Smile
Other Specs (that have a brain) sit there thinking: But he asked for a number from 1-6, and if he's now saying 1 spells with three letters, well surely so does T-W-O and so does S-I-X!

Just my point of view of course - but surely there's a lot more powerful magical effects out there to impress people with?

The Hot Rod in all its glorious forms is a PROVEN winner based upon decades of successful use by both talented amateurs and seasoned pros.

Like everything else in Magic, YOUR success with this trick depends 100% upon YOUR presentation and YOUR interaction with the spectators.

First of all, you do NOT say, "one spells with 3 letters..." / you DO say, "OK, let's spell one> O-N-E" and go right into your most effective revelation of the complete change.

The effectiveness of the presentation simply depends upon your attitude when performing.

Julie
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2008-05-19 23:59, Bendy wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-15 23:19, Bendy wrote:

I've never had a spectator figure out the move/method.

While this statement still holds true for Hot Rods, I was performing the Deluxe Money Paddle for a young lady just a couple of days after posting that I'd never had them figure it out. When I removed one coin and it "disappeared" from the other side, she started working it out. By the climax of the trick, (when a dollar is revealed on one side and I explain that it's done "with mirrors" - removing the dollar and revealing the row of mirrors), she didn't care that she didn't figure out where the dollar came from. She didn't appreciate the mirror gag. Everyone is always floored and has never gone back to the coins. But this girl said that the only way I could've done it was if I... ...And then she flat-out stated exactly what I did.

When I remove a coin from one side, I also remove a coin from the other side, leaving a total of 6 coins on the table.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
The "problems" cited with both the incorrect phrasing of the Hot Rod Force and the incorrect handling of the Money Paddle are a further endorsement of the value of brick and mortar shops (with a real magician behind the counter), a good instructional DVD and/or active membership in a local magic club.

Just knowing the mechanics of a trick obviously doesn't mean it is being performed correctly.

We're soooo fortunate to have the resources of The Magic Café!

Julie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » In the market for a Hot Rod (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL