The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Travelling/ Penetrating Flame and Silk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of towledge
Hadn't thought about this in years...but for some reason it came into my mind an effect I've seen over the years several times. Does anyone know where the effect of a cigarette lighter flame passing/ travelling/ penetrating a silk was published or marketed? Maybe one version was with a small candle?
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
I remember seeing the version with a candle. It was a weird contraption made of wire, with a wick at the tip. Murray had it in his Blackpool shop.

I can't recall if it was a dealer item or from a book - possibly a Tom Sellers idea - anyone remember him?

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of towledge
Someone in another section thought Jeff McBride covered this in his McBride's Candle instructions.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Joe Karson (inventor of Zombie) marketed an effect called The Traveling Flame. It had a small flesh colored cigarette lighter attatched to a pull, behind the silk the flame was lit and burning on the audience side of the silk if you kept the flame moving it never set the silk on fire, then all of a sudden the flame was gone and you were left holding the silk only !
Is this the effect ?
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of towledge
Possibly. I might have remembered a version where a lighter is openly displayed, lit and the flame run across. The lighter was then simply extinguished but didn't necessarily vanish. But than my memory of this one is hazy.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
In the Joe Karson version, the lighter is NOT displayed. Only a silk & a flame comes through the silk and moves around. When you release the lighter (because of the pull) it vanishes and you are left holding a silk only..
I had one, I know..
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of towledge
Well I checked out my Magic of Jeff McBride Vol. 2 and sure enough he goes over the Karson version you describe...in his case the effect being of his candle flame travelling.

I probably remember seeing the lighter at first...then bringing the lighter beneath a smaller silk (cloth I guess) than McBride uses and the effect begins.

Thanks Rennie.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Consider the possibilities when a flammable gas is allowed to penetrate a silk and then is ignited above the silk. (How much heat is the silk taking?)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- There is also the Coleman Lantern using naphtha. (Different result!)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Quote:
On 2008-05-17 06:39, Leslie Melville wrote:
I remember seeing the version with a candle. It was a weird contraption made of wire, with a wick at the tip. Murray had it in his Blackpool shop.

I can't recall if it was a dealer item or from a book - possibly a Tom Sellers idea - anyone remember him?

Leslie

this was the invention of Dr. Carlos Colombi from Argentina and printed in the Sphinx 50 Years of Magic book . it was famously performed by the late Fred Kaps
visit me @ JNealShow.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Travelling/ Penetrating Flame and Silk (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL