The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Mirror Glass or Goblet (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Help. I need to find a source for a large mirror glass/goblet. I have a very nice standard size one, but I want to find one that can handle 3 24" silks tied together on each side, so that seemingly the silks never leave the eyes of the audience.

Does anybody know of a source for a larger type mirror glass/goblet?

Thank you.

M. Reist
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
That's the kind of effect that really needs an "Anti-Mirror Glass" (see Wizards' Journjal #16 on my site). The mirror glass was never meant to be an object scrutinized by the audience as the center of attention in an effect. Instead, it should be used in a very minor role. It really can't take the "heat" very well, as Louis Nikola and others have pointed out time and again.

Using an "Anti-Mirror Glass" technique would allow you to search the stores for a glass the size you need and then easily gimmick it yourself to perform the effect you desire.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Hi, I’m the least handy guy in the world,
but I was able to design and make a great custom prop.

I found a beautiful “cut-glass” vase at a local Ross Store,
it was just the correct larger size and shape and
the design provided the correct amount of misdirection and cover.

I filled it about 1/3 full of water (as water expands)
sealed it with saran wrap and masking tape.

I then put it in the freezer, carefully laying on its side, horizontally,
but propped the end up so the water was level, and let it freeze.
I then quickly removed the vase from the freezer--
It was now exactly divided into halves with a large ice-cube.

I ran a bit of hot water to loosen the frozen cube,
then used the ice-block as a template to draw the shape and size,
on a thick piece of matt-board cardboard and cut it out with a matt-knife..
After cutting out the shape I had a prefect pattern for my vase gimmick.

I suppose I could have just covered this cardboard cut-out
with aluminum foil or mylar, but instead to do it right--
I took this template to the Tap Plastics location near me,
http://www.tapplastics.com/
they cut two pieces of thin mirror Plexiglas to size using my pattern,
and then permanently glued them back-to-back for me.

Voila! When I fitted, then glued the Tap-Plastics piece into place,
and I had a very elegant, very deceptive, and high-quality,
custom glass for my silk transition work.

I’ve also seen plastic “cut-glass” style vases and goblets that might work well.
Hope this helps!

Magically,
Walt
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Thank you Walt for sharing such a great idea with us!

Mike
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Walt, you're a genious!

Jim
jackstevens
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of jackstevens
Walt, never heard of the frozen idea before. Over the years I've made a few mirror glasses by tracing around the outside of the goblet/glass onto some shiny sheet metal and when cuting to size with tin snips deducting an 1/8 inch all around, hotn glue into place.
ChrisPilsworth
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
74 Posts

Profile of ChrisPilsworth
Walt your idea is great!

One problem I encountered when making a mirror glass is keeping the glue from making a mess on the inside of the glass when installing the mirror.

My solution was to take one piece of mirror and run epoxy glue near the edge of the back of the mirror. Put this in the glass. You can now put the second piece of mirror in the glass. When the two mirrors are squeezed together, the glue that is between them is forced out to the edges of the mirror where it bonds to the glass. It worked really well.

Cheers,
Chris
here2009
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of here2009
Not sure.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2009-03-31 14:25, here2009 wrote:
Not sure.

About what?

Mike
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Along the lines of the ice in the glass...I used to use spray insulation foam. You have to coat the glass with some oil first, but after that, you squirt the foam in the glass, it will expand and form fit the inside of the lass and dry within a hr or so.
You then loosen the foam and slice it in half which will give you a cut of the glass. You can also do a slice at different angles.
If you use a fluted tumbler, you can segment the glass and actually have a load chamber in it by cutting two mirrors. Glue it in a v configuration in the glass.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Yes, this is a very old thread, but I must say...

After having made several mirror glasses via the trial and error approach, the frozen water idea is brilliant!
For a more permanent pattern, try using 2 part casting acrylic - just remember to use the mold release!
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Http://magicstore.ca/?product=crystal-mi......115eb4b3

This is a good size mirror bucket that can accommodate a large load. Handy handles as well, and it’s made of acrylic so not fragile like glass.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I agree that a mirror glass is not the best utility when it is the direct focus of the magical event. We have had success employing the B/A principle for cleanly switching cards. The thin gimmick comes out of the glass when the card(s) is removed and casually shown front & back. Of course, the glass is now clean as a whistle and can be handled freely.

I can imagine the same approach being effective with a larger receptacle.

Julie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
While looking for another effect, I stumbled across this Mirror Bucket. Should working perfectly for large silks, as originally desired.

https://tricksupply.com/product/water-ti......o-trick/

Hurry, don't know how long they will be available.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Mirror Glass or Goblet (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL