The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Appearing pole made into an appearing tree (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
I'm trying to think of a way to make an appearing pole look like an appearing palm tree. I need to attach something to the top of the pole to make it look like palm leaves. I would love to still be able to produce the final product from a paper bag, though it might need to be a full sized grocery bag. I'm thinking of something based on an umbrella.

What would you use?

Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Edd, that sounds like a good idea, but it also sounds difficult. I think attaching the umbrella to the pole securely could be problematic.

I don't believe a regular umbrella will be hidden in a large grocery bag. You might have to get an Appearing Umbrella. Abbott's makes one that I believe folds up more compact than a normal one. I don't have it, so don't decide on my word only! You might want to experiment with an old, cheap umbrella first anyway. You can get 'em for a few bucks, and that way you can make sure you can attach it to the pole, attach palm leaves, open it when needed, etc. Then if you can make it work and it's not compact enough you could get the Appearing Umbrella.

You may be able to remove the umbrella cover and attach palm leaves. It seems the leaves would have to fold up somehow to fit, even in a large grocery bag. I'm not sure what the best material to make them from would be.

If you could get it all hidden in the bag, maybe you could start making the pole production, and just before the umbrella comes out maybe you could flip the bag uside down so the tree would be right side up, hoping that the folded palm leaves would fall into place with the aid of gravity.

I don't know.....I'm just thinking as I go. It will be a nice idea if you can get it to work.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Eleazar Goodenough describes how he makes "Spring Palm Leaves" ( you know, like Spring Flowers only bigger and greener) for his "Giant Palm Tree and Ladder" article in his book "Tear-Able Magic" on my site.

For your situation, I like the idea of buying one of those tiny collapsible umbrellas (they even have them in Dollar Stores these days) and taking off the cover. I'd use Eleazar's idea to make green mylar palm leaves (you can even buy these in Party Goods Stores where they sell them as decorations) to attach to the unbrella. Drill a hole in the handle, or remove the handle completely and reattach a piece of PVC pipe using epoxy putty. Then the appearing pole can fit into the tube that was formerly the handle of the umbrella. Eleazar follows up his Palm Tree production with a production of coconuts (brown sponge balls) and other funny stuff.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Appearing pole made into an appearing tree (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL