The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Big Jump (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
A(n arguably insane?) Frenchman, Michel Fournier, plans to free fall from 130,000 feet over Saskatchewan later this week. To put it into perspective, that is more than twice as high as the Concorde flew, and he will break the sound barrier as he free falls.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/ne......3b766a79

http://www.legrandsaut.org/index.php?lang=eng

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/24/sports......=5087%0A

In May 2008 an extraordinary project will bind France, Canada and a single man for an historic supersonic free fall. Michel Fournier will drop out of the stratosphere from an altitude from about 130,000 feet (40 kilometers, nearly 25 miles) above the plains of Saskatchewan, Canada, and will contribute to the development of future technologies and the safety of stratospheric flight.

The 4 world records :

- Altitude record for freefall
- Altitude record for human balloon flight
- Time record for longest freefall
- Speed record for fastest freefall
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
It will have to be something spectacular to get much press. It was done 40 years ago and nobody had bothered since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MkB6NkQscI

Best,

Tim
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-05-25 17:44, Timothy Drake wrote:
It will have to be something spectacular to get much press. It was done 40 years ago and nobody had bothered since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MkB6NkQscI

Best,

Tim

Actually, Tim, several people HAVE tried since. They just haven't succeeded.

And Michel Fournier has gotten great press already. His story was on the cover of many international newspapers this weekend.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/s......nal/home
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-05-25 19:46, balducci wrote:

Actually, Tim, several people HAVE tried since. They just haven't succeeded.

And Michel Fournier has gotten great press already. His story was on the cover of many international newspapers this weekend.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/s......nal/home

In the words of Johnny Carson..." Hmmm... I did not know that."

I'll be watching!

Best,

Tim
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I think an air force guy named joesph kittenger jumped out of a ballon at about 130,000. he broke the sound barrier, and was the first man in space.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-05-25 20:08, kcg5 wrote:
I think an air force guy named joesph kittenger jumped out of a ballon at about 130,000. he broke the sound barrier, and was the first man in space.

It was not even close to 130,000 feet. It was only just over 100,000.

See the video link in Tim's earlier post.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2008-05-25 20:10, balducci wrote:

I think 100,000 is pretty close to 130,000.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-05-25 21:48, Josh Riel wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-25 20:10, balducci wrote:

I think 100,000 is pretty close to 130,000.

It's all relative, isn't it?

Put into real terms, though, it is a great difference in height.

Consider, Mount Everest's height is about 29,035 ft (6 ft higher than the old reported height of 29,029 ft since 1999).
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Where do you go to get the tape measure to measure a mountain. My local hardware store is ill equipped for my needs.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
I know some cats that got higher than that in college. Or was it high school? Back in the late 70's... I think.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Lolol

"ONLY"100,000 feet...

I jumped 3 times at about 15,000 and I thought I was cool...
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Here are the facts from Wikipedia. The jump actually took place in 1960, 48 years ago, not 40.

Quote:
Project Excelsior

Main article: Project Excelsior

Captain Kittinger was then !@#igned to the Aerospace Medical Research Laboratories at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. For Project Excelsior (meaning "ever upward", a name given to the project by Colonel Stapp), as part of research into high altitude bailout, he made a series of three parachute jumps wearing a pressurized suit, from a helium balloon with an open gondola.

The first, from 76,400 feet (23,287 m) in November, 1959 was a near tragedy when an equipment malfunction caused him to lose consciousness, but the automatic parachute saved him (he went into a flat spin at a rotational velocity of 120 rpm; the g-force at his extremities was calculated to be over 22 times that of gravity, setting another record). Three weeks later he jumped again from 74,700 feet (22,769 m). For that return jump Kittinger was awarded the Leo Stevens parachute medal.

On August 16, 1960 he made the final jump from the Excelsior III at 102,800 feet (31,330 m). Towing a small drogue chute for stabilization, he fell for 4 minutes and 36 seconds reaching a maximum speed of 614 mph (988 km/h or 274 m/s) before opening his parachute at 18,000 feet (5,500 m). Pressurization for his right glove malfunctioned during the ascent, and his right hand swelled to twice its normal size.[2] He set records for highest balloon ascent, highest parachute jump, longest drogue-fall (14 min), and fastest speed by a human through the atmosphere[3].

The jumps were made in a "rocking-chair" position, descending on his back, rather than the usual arch familiar to skydivers, because he was wearing a 60-lb "kit" on his behind and his pressure suit naturally formed that shape when inflated, a shape appropriate for sitting in an airplane cockpit.

For the series of jumps, Kittinger was decorated with an oak leaf cluster to his D.F.C. and awarded the Harmon Trophy by President Dwight Eisenhower.

No matter how you slice it, that jump was impressive. Every time I see it, though, I get a slight sense of vertigo. Smile

Didn't kittinger pass away recently? I could be mistaken.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
One of the links I posted above explained about Kittinger's jump in great detail.

One of first links I posted up above (the NYTimes one) quoted Kittinger from just last week, so I think he is still alive.

"Reached by phone last week at his home outside Orlando, Fla., Kittinger, 79, said he was surprised his record had stood for so long.

Fournier and Kittinger correspond through e-mail. “I told him many years ago, it’s very hostile,” Kittinger said. “You’re in a vacuum, and your whole life is dependent on the pressure suit working properly. If the pressure suit fails, you die.”"
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I still can't understand why anyone would want to jump out of a perfectly good plane (or balloon)...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-05-27 10:18, ClintonMagus wrote:
I still can't understand why anyone would want to jump out of a perfectly good plane (or balloon)...

I can't tell whether or not you are being tongue in cheek. !@#uming you are being serious, the answer to your question would often be either for adventure and / or to advance science.

In this case:

Fournier's quest began in September 1988, "when the French space agency selected him to free fall and parachute from near-space. The mission was designed to test the potential for astronauts to escape without a space craft in an emergency. Only two years earlier, NASA’s Challenger shuttle disaster killed seven astronauts."

"He got started after the space shuttle Challenger exploded in 1986 — with some of the astronauts surviving in high altitudes only to die at splashdown."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Big Jump (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL