The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Insurance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Are we able to regain insurance thru SAM yet?
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
I am interested in this as well. I am just moving out of doing magic for fun into the doing magic for a little money and I want to make sure I am covered in the event of an issue. The gods know that people are lawsuit happy these days and it pays to be covered.

I know the IBM has insurance but there are a few clauses in it I don't like specificaly the fee for it now matter when you join and then you have to renew in August.
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
The peace of mind is worth it...
klownchuck
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of klownchuck
Search the S.A.M. Website

Search for:

Howdy John..
If you go to the SAM website... http://www.magicsam.com and at the top of the page, put insurance in the search.. you will get several places to look at.

choose the one that says:

S.A.M. Insurance Benefit details
SAMInsure.asp

ALL OF THE DETAILS ARE THERE.

YESSSSS.. we have an Insurance Carrier.. Our National Administrator, Manon Rodriguez, is in charge of it.. contact her at manon@magic.bz

Yours, in Magic. Chuck Lehr
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
367 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Hi Chuck, and greetings all . . . the National Administrator is sort of the go-between, the Insurance committee co-chairs are Hull Youngblood from Austin and Gary D Hughes PNP from New Orleans

Maria Ibanez
President
Society of American Magicians
weidhaas
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of weidhaas
I have continued my SAM insurance for many years. Many event locations require that you have insurance. I've never had to use it, but this is inexpensive peace of mind.

Mark Weidhaas
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I will miss that 'Lloyds of London' is no longer the insurance underwriter,
as it had a caché and ring of recognition that held credibility with clients.

And I will miss the far lower rates of past years….
but, here is the SAM Insurance info as it stands.

Walt
-----------

This plan features the following important points:
-Underwritten by a Best "A+" rated Insurance Company.
-Coverage provides Spectator Liability and Premises Liability including property damage.
-The program covers all participating SAM members performing in the USA,
Puerto Rico, US Territories and Canada.
-NO DEDUCTIBLE! That's right! Deductible is $0.00!
-All SAM members will receive individual certificates of coverage.
-Annual premium of $239 for each individual SAM member.
-Coverage includes standard magic tricks (with some exceptions).
-Certificates will be provided at no additional charge.
-If you need a certificate with an additional insured endorsement please send $50.00
along with a completed "Additional Insured Endorsement Request" to:
Northern Capital Insurance, PO Box 9396, Minneapolis, MN 55440-9396
952-996-8818, 800-676-8818
-Please submit all "Additional Insured Endorsement Requests" a minimum of ten business days in advance of the date for which you need the coverage.
-Send in your check or money order for $239.00 today along with your completed application on the reverse side, payable to:
S.A.M. Liability Insurance, Manon Rodriguez, PO Box 2900, Pahrump, NV 89041

Download and fill out the S.A.M. Liability Insurance Form- Click here
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I have been considering the possibility of joining the SAM, and I had a couple of questions about insurance. I emailed the president, but I understand there's a change happening right now, so I may not get a response right away. So I thought I'd ask here as well:

1. As a Canadian magician, performing fulltime in Canada, am I able to join SAM?
2. Am I able to get liability insurance through the SAM provider?
3. Will using a firebook, or Jim Pace’s “Hot Leads” be a problem with this insurance provider?

Thanks,
Brian Lehr
(no relation to Chuck, as far as I know)
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
Hi there...

Yes, of course you can join SAM! We have members from all over the world, and MANY in Canada.

The insurance, if you pay the annual premium in addition to your annual dues, will cover you while performing in the US, Puerto Rico, Canada, and any US Territories.

As for the fire effects...that I'm not sure on. Even if the insurance would cover it, many venues still will not allow it and it would also involve city fire codes and the like.

I would check with members of the insurance company before counting on it to cover fire effects, just to be sure.

Hope this helps you. I think you'll find that the SAM is quite a wonderful organization...
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
367 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Greetings Brian,

you did send me a PM to which I responded and answered all your questions, I am sorry you didn't get my PM to you. Change or not, you will find that I am always most responsive and try to respond within a couple of hours of receiving an e-mail, which I did with you.

1. As a Canadian magician, performing fulltime in Canada, am I able to join SAM?

Yes, as a Canadian magician, or from anywhere else in the world for that matter, you may join the S.A.M. We are an international society with members all over the world.

2. Am I able to get liability insurance through the SAM provider?

Yes, you may purchased liability insurance through our carrier. Once you are a member, it is a fairly easy process; contact Manon Rodriguez the National Administrator at manon@magic.bz and she will be more than happy to help you with the process.

3. Will using a firebook, or Jim Pace’s “Hot Leads” be a problem with this insurance provider

Sorry, I am not sure what the details are for the individual policies. You might wish to ask Manon Rodriguez (see answer #2) as she will have more details as to specific covered and non-covered items.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of any further assistance at any time. Maria Ibanez, merlina17@aol.com or home 305-258-3414 or my cell 786-258-8762. Feel free to send me an e-mail with best time to phone you in your time zone if that makes it easier for you.

Keep a dream in the making for we create our tomorrows by what we dream today.

Maria Ibanez
President
Society of American Magicians
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Nell and Maria

Thank you for your responses; this is good news.

Maria, unfortunately I did not receive your previous response. But thank you once again for the details post above. I most certainly will be joining within the next few days.

Brian
klownchuck
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of klownchuck
YIPEEEEEEEEE

Chuck "Lehr"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Insurance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL