The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Houdini the movie with Tony Curtis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I believe they are releasing in June Houdini starring Tony Curtis. I had pre-ordered it and I noticed that the charge has gone through this week.

I was fortunate enough to pick up an autographed picture by Tony from the movie and the mat is different scenes from the movie. I was happy to get a hold of this piece.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Anytime I about Houdini with a laymen I more often than not get the "Didn't he die upside-down in a tank thing?" and have to correct them on how he actually died. This movie obviously had a lasting effect on people as there are many who assume the movie is an accurate account of Houdini's life...
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
I had the reissue long ago on laser disc (pre DVD). It was OK to watch. I remembered it being better when I was a kid. It's still fun.
Thanks,
Bruce
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
If anyone has a script, photos, etc. from the movie, I would like to buy them.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I still have an old VHS version of this that I taped from TV years ago. I'd really like to have the DVD version. That movie was responsible for me, as a kid, HAVING to have a milk pitcher for my act.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I hear you Michael, I've wanted to update my old beat-up VHS as well.
Speaking of which I have not watched that movie in quite a while...
emeline
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of emeline
Hi all.

I've found a recording of Harry Houdini, made in 1914, about the Edison machine rehearsal.

Enjoy the link:
http://www.archive.org/details/EdisonMac......dini1914

Emeline
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Thank you so much Emeline!

That was a treat. There is very little out there of Houdini's voice. It's closed now but years ago there was a Houdini museum in Niagara Falls, Ontario and as you went in there was a talking head that would repeat that exact speech (However it was not Houdini's actual voice). As soon as I heard the sound file I instantly thought of the museum. Somewhere I have 15-20 min of footage that I videotaped when I was walking around inside. Maybe I'll put it on youtube someday if the quality doesn't look too poor.

Anyways I'm rambling but thanks again Emeline!!!

James
emeline
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of emeline
Hi James.

You're welcome! I'm so delighted to read that you're satisfied with the recording! Actually, the web site "Archive.org" is a complete one with a lot of medias: sounds, videos, or texts which are legal and free. That's quite useful when you collect old things!

Emeline
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Does anyone know where one might get a copy of "The Great Houdini's" with Paul Michael Glazier. I always thought it was a slightly more accurate account and it had Bill Bixby in it as well.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Copy of the video or book? They both show-up on Ebay from time-to-time. You can do search on the web with "Houdini" and "Melville Shavelson" in the search box for quicker results.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I recently found a copy of the full Houdini movie(Curtis & Leigh) on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbKePEsqQH0

Like others, I think of this movie as likely one of the first things that got me interested in magic. So much so, that the next day or so, I talked a fellow grade school classmate into locking me in storage cabinet at school. It was dark in there, and in no more that about 5-10 seconds I managed to.. convince that classmate to let me out Smile

I hadn't seen this in over 50 years! It was fun, and very different to see it as an adult, and now a little more knowledgeable about magic.
It seemed that in a number of scenes that he was actually doing the tricks (e.g.; he seemed to be doing a legitimate "hoop pass"), but I don't think his broom suspension was an impromptu version (as he claimed in the movie), but of course, that is what a magician would have wanted people to think. I did notice that a "Dunniger" is listed on the credits as a technical consultant.

Sadly, much of this was a fictionalized account of him, but after reading, I did find that he did start out at some side shows, he did play a wild man, and that he did a vault escape in court.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
The video is now "private". Too bad.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Houdini the movie with Tony Curtis (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL