The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » For those who have a tiny Stonehenge for their act :) (Spinal Tap) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I actually have a scale model of Stonehenge (as it was, not as it is now) sitting on my desk.

So, what should I have appear in the middle of it?
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Stoneunhinged, of course. Smile

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
jfquackenbush
View Profile
Special user
Out here on the desert
607 Posts

Profile of jfquackenbush
A coca cola neon sign
Mr. Quackenbush believes that there is no such thing as a good magic trick.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Actually, they've just released the results of some new archaeological excavations, and it seems that Stonehenge was built on the site of an even more ancient cemetery!

Now, if that doesn't give you bizzarists some ideas, I don't know what will. Smile

http://news.cnet.com/2300-1008_3-6240627-1.html
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
What I find fascinating is that this was going on at roughly the same time as the pyramid-building in the Old Kingdom... and that there are theories that the pyramids (especially the Great Pyramid) were aligned so they could serve as observatories. What was it with those ancient people, building all that stuff out of huge stone blocks?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
George, they had to use stone blocks, Legos had not been invented yet.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2008-06-06 16:01, George Ledo wrote:
What I find fascinating is that this was going on at roughly the same time as the pyramid-building in the Old Kingdom... and that there are theories that the pyramids (especially the Great Pyramid) were aligned so they could serve as observatories. What was it with those ancient people, building all that stuff out of huge stone blocks?

It really was the first time that there were lasting structures on earth. No animal before had ever done it. It occurred to man - "How will they know I was here? How will they know I was different? How will they know I lived an incredible life and learned marvelous secrets?"

We have certainly continued the tradition with our buildings and skyscrapers.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
In the case of Stonehenge and the other stone rings found in the UK, they were originally groves of tall trees, but trees die and fall down. The wood structures that replaced them attract termites and can burn down (they likes big bonfires in those days). So the stone was a more permanent solution to keep your solar observatory in alignment over the centuries. Gradually the trees got used up for ship building, so today the stones stand pretty much alone out in bare fields.

I got all that from the research Jim Gerrish did for his mystery novel "Master of Ceremonies", which, by the way, is available on my site. The final scene takes place in a modern day urban stone circle.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Actually, the latest theory (and some archaeological dating tests) places the time of the wooden circles and the stone circles as roughly the same period. While the earliest wooden circles may have been groves of trees, there is very strong evidence that Stonehenge and a wooden circle roughly a day's walk from it up the Avon were linked ceremonially.

Dr. Michael Parker-Pearson has found that by reconstructing the old woodhenge up the river from Stonehenge, the solstice sunrises and settings correspond to one another. So, when they had the ceremony of distributing the ashes of the dead in the river, the ceremony would start at one circle and end in the other. There was an excellent program on NGO about this a week ago.

Also fairly well squashed the theory that the stones came from Wales. The sarsens actually came from about 25 miles away, so even though it was a mammoth task, the circle was built far more rapidly than had been thought.

The name of the special is "Stonehenge Decoded." Watch for it on your local cable channels. It is definitely a keeper.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » For those who have a tiny Stonehenge for their act :) (Spinal Tap) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL