The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Does anyone know any Back Palming effects? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
I am in search for effects utilizing the Back Palm. Not the back clip, but the actual knuckle busting, Back Palm. I know of some but also know that there must be many more around. I have been working on this for quite some time, so any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance,
Mike Clayman
"A flash of silvery light ..and it was gone."
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I know that Jay Sankey does some stuff, but I think that would be with what you are referring to as a back clip. Not sure if I really know what you mean by back palm as opposed to back clip but I'm sure you'd find something on one of Curtis Kams 'Fists of Steel' videos.

Cheers

Billy James
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Clayman, I think there was a thread about this here previously, try the search function. I know I've mentioned this before:

Full backpalm of a coin is useful mainly for stage coin routines, wherein it can be used for the vanish and production of one or several coins. Geoff Latta and I were recently fondly recalling our younger days with this sort of stuff, I recall that I was crazy enough to do "split fan" productions of batches of silver dollars. See the Buckingham books and tapes, you'll see how far this can go (at least in one direction)

Close up, I have found two interesting applications. One, you can steal the first coin in a matrix routine into full backpalm easier than you might into any sort of clip.

Two, if you have say, three silver dollars fingerpalmed in the left hand, with a playing card covering them, you can show the left hand on both sides (the card hides the coins from the palm side) Then, take the card with the right hand, and as you do, you'll find the coins are fed directly into full backpalm.

I use this changeover quite a bit, and it's quite safe, since the card covers any cramping of the hand.

David Neighbors also has some very clever applications of multiple backpalming. He has a particular way of getting into position that you should consider, but I'm sure he'll chime in here and fill you in.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
Thanks Curtis, That is a very clever idea with the card cover and feed to the B.P. I to am at the stage where I am trying multiple productions, similiar to card splits.

I think the BP is one of the most visual vanishes I have ever seen, and that's even when I'm watching myself do it. I made a flurry for practicing it: A coin is back palmed in right hand and a visual coin is on the face up fingers of the left hand (as if to be getting ready to pace it on the fingers of the right hand). You then place it on the fingers of the right hand (at the same time stealing the coin out of back palm and similtaneously back palming the coin just placed in the right hand) this just gets repeated at a steady rythm and produces a very neat illusion.

This is done with the hands down in front of you, waist level with palms up. It looks as if you are placing a coin in the right hand and it instantly disapears and is back in the left. Hard to explain, but repeated in a steady rythm looks REAL good.

I hope that David Neighbors does get involved in this thread, for I would love to hear his ideas. Thanks again Curtis.

Mike Clayman
shanla
View Profile
Loyal user
Japan, Tokyo
285 Posts

Profile of shanla
A nice application of Back Palm is found in Peter Samelson's "Spinning Silver". It is a close up coin production and very magical. It is found in Minch's "Spectacle".
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
Thank you very much, Guys.
Curtis, have you ever used the BP for a click Pass?
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Click pass, interesting idea. In the right context, this could be a useful thing. I have a problem with most of the positions one tends to end up in to fully exploit the full backpalm close-up. I think the repeat vanish and repro that you've described, however, would look good.

As far as I can recall, I've only used the FBP as a click pass on stage, where few, is any, could hear the click.

David's take on this is interesting. When he does the move, the coins don't turn or pivot in any way. They remain stat, and the fingers move around them. This allows him to do multiples with greater certainty and little or no noise. Sort of a "non-click" pass.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
Curtis,
Thank you very much for the good words and information. I hope David chimes in on this thread. Well thanks again, Curtis.
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
I saw John Kennedy do a coins across with a palm (possibly clip) that was really cool.

Also Dave Neighbors has some effects that make good utility of the back palm.

Matt
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Man,
I came up with the Backpalm I use myself. But then found out it is the one that Tommy Downs used! I use it closeup all the time as I think that it has better angles then backclips! You might like my backhanded coins over at Coinvanish.com!

Using the Downs Backpalm lets you do multiple coins easier as they don't pivot! You can then produce them all at once or one at a time! I do three coins right now (but I am working on four) Smile

I use Barbar coins because they are thinner! You can put a stack of 5 Barbars beside a stack of 4 Walkers and they are the same height!

I will have some more backpalm stuff coming out in the new coin mag. that is coming out! I also do a toss vanish of 3 coins one at a time using it! If you combined it with a rattle gimmick you can do some cool stuff in a vanish of 3 coins! Or, if the backpalming hand rubs the back of the closed palm up hand then the hand opens to show the coins gone! That then gives a lot of cover to reproduce to coins and as you turn that hand face down.

It looks like you took them out of an empty
hand! If you are going to be at the coin Conv. stop me and I will show you all the stuff!

Hope that gives you some stuff to play with!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
Thanks David,
These are very interesting and most imaginative ideas. It may seem difficult at first but I think the use of both types of back palms could have unlimitted possibilities. Thanks for your directions..much appreciated.
tricky54
View Profile
New user
ohio
50 Posts

Profile of tricky54
Revolutionary coin magic videos by Jay Sanky Smile
TrIcKy54
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Does anyone know any Back Palming effects? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL