The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Iowa Floods - Please Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
As you know from the news, we've been suffering the effects of a 500-year flood here in Iowa. Thousands of people are homeless, roads are impassible, and bridges are out. The water has peaked and is now starting to go down, but we still need help for the recovery effort.

If you can, please make aa donation to the Red Cross and designate it to help Iowa flood victims. Your help and prayers are greatly appreciated.

Thank you to those who have asked about me - I'm fine. I live in a small town that's high and dry. However, Cedar Rapids to our immediate north and Iowa City to our south have both suffered an incredible amount of damage.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Consider ir done!

I have a special place in my heart for my friends in Iowa!

RAGBRAI for ever...
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
800 Posts

Profile of meyegr
I live in Cedar Rapids, but not in the flooded area.
Unfortunately it hit the lower income area (as most flood prone areas of cities) and the downtown area.

It will be months before things are 'normal'.

One of the restaurants that I had worked is completely destroyed (Gringos) and the comedy club (Penguins) was underneath the restaurant.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I've visited both Cedar Rapids and Iowa City in recent years, and know people in both places. I recall walking through the University of Iowa campus couple of years ago. Hard to believe so many of its buildings are now flooded etc.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
If you have not done so already give to the Salvation Army rather than the Red Cross. They give far more bang for your buck. I went, while in the Navy, to help after a hurrican and will never forget the Salvation Army giving out food, drink, blankets, clothing, etc while the Red Cross was SELLING coffee and donuts. I tend to avoid charities with private planes for their leadership. My wifes friends' brother is the leader (he has a rank) in the Salvation Army for San Franciscos region and he is married to a lovely woman who is also an officer in the group and I drove them home after a funeral a couple years ago. If you ever saw The Honeymooners that was pretty much what their living condition was like. They didn't get a big salary or private planes etc..

Do give if you can though. My brother lives in Iowa and that is enough of a burden on the people there now all these floods etc make it worse. On the bright side my brother has become the 'go to guy' for drunk old ugly women in the Albia Iowa area.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Justin, there are rumors that RAGBRAI may be canceled this year. It's still a few weeks off, but so many of the towns and cities on the route have been devastated, as have the roads and bridges. If they do cancel, it will be the first time ever.

As to donations, please donate to anyone who can help - Red Cross, Salvation Army, whomever you choose. Like New Orleans after Katrina, it will take years for us to rebuild.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Yeah, I kind of figured as much...

Sad.

But with so much devestation I don't know how people can enjoy the ride? I wonder if they will turn it into a mission of mercy and try to help out?

Even though I won't be there next month, my heart is always there.

I'll be sending more stuff as I gather it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Iowa Floods - Please Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL