The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » All Illusionists please read (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Hi,

I have been doing magic for about 13 years or so and have never created my own magic. I do not know many magicians around my area and was looking for some people to look over my stuff see if it is good, or not or any suggestions. I have some really cool ideas for illusions and would love to put these ideas into action. I really feel that my theories and ideas will help budding illusionist or established illusionists in many ways such as price, portability, convenience, doing multiple illusions with many less props than normal, cool new ideas for old concepts, etc.I am kind of skeptical of the internet and having my stuff ripped off but there are some people who are willing to help. If you send me a PM and are interested in collaborating with me I would be really appreciative. There are a few people I would consider for help and you must have good ethical standards, be willing to help, be established here at the Café amongst other things. Once you sent me a message I will research your nick name here at the Café and if I feel you wont rip me off I would definitely like the help. For example if you were along the lines of somebody like Ron Jaxon, Harry Loranye, Sean Bogunia, Andrew Mayne, etc...

I learned a very important lesson in magic as I matured from my first days at the magic shop until today. I feel many younger magicians or ones just starting feel the same way as I did. As I started many magicians recommended Mark Wilson's complete course in magic as well as some other beginner type books. I bought it and did not like it at all. My reasoning is the tricks were corny, easy, and not what I have seen on TV. These seemed like they were for kids, as well as just kind of obvious as to the methods, or just did not really look too amazing at all. Oh but was I wrong. The basic principle or one of them for Lance's sword fight can be found in Mark Wilson's book. I then realized that it is not the tricks, or methods in these book you really learn, but the basic principles of magic and then apply your own routining, etc. And you can accomplish some of the most amazing stuff and make the impossible possible with the most basic principles. Some of my illusion material is new ideas built around old ideas. I also would like established magicians help since I am taking this approach to make sure I am doing it with ethics and not ripping off other effects.

Thanks

Chris
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of trey
The reason Mark Willson's Complete Course in Magic is suggested reading for budding magicians. Is that it is an over view of magic. It has a little of everything. Slight of hand, illusions, ect. It is good to learn all these things. If you know all the basics. It will help you learn the harder stuff later. You have to walk before you can run.

Trey
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I don't get it. From your post it sounds like you want to interview or pre-qualify people in order for them to have the privilege of giving you advice and guidance? If that's true, it sounds like you should be HIRING a consultant.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
No, I just want to make sure I am getting the advice from the right people. I have seen way to many youngsters revealing effect on youtube, and stealing stuff, etc. I just want to make sure that the person that is helping me will not steal my ideas which is a shame because in the magic community there are some that do not have ethics, for example the selling of the bannana bandana trick which was not the original from what I understand or all the people trying to recreate DCs laser or the latest which I hear is this company trying to sell the matrix levitation which I heard was stolen. The internet is great but I am just being careful who I talk to. Sorry if it came off the wrong way.
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
And the other thing is I wanted to make sure some of the stuff I created is not already out there so I am not unkowingly riping off other peoples stuff. For example I created something once and showed it to the owner of the magic shop and I found out it was already done so I stopped doing it because I didn't want to steal it. So somebody experienced might know that same thing so that way I am not stealing anything.
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
All I can say is I've gotten a lot of great advice from the various members here, and I've never felt the need to pre-qualify anyone. To do so would suggest that I'm somehow better than the others and that's just not the case. Instead, I choose to treat people with respect and give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
SeanScottMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of SeanScottMagic
Just don't volunteer too much too soon. Get to know them, like anyone you would share confidential info with and you'll be fine.

Sean
http://WWW.THEARTOFSEANSCOTT.COM
AVAILABLE EFFECTS:

ROAMING
RISE
RENDER
MODOSU
FACTORY LINE
BANDARIZUMU
KI
MXL
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Join a magic club. None are too far away. We have a lad that came from Minnesota once a month to Los Angeles to attend the Junior classes at the Magic Castle.

Did it pay off? Well, he won the world championship at the past FISM.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Thanks for the info. I did not mean any disrespect and am a nobody. I am not better than any one I just am very weary about sharing my ideas with strangers, I was thinking about it and it is wrong to judge I learned in many sales classes say you have a guy in a three piece suit come in or a guy who looks like a bum do not at all ignore the bum guy because he could be one of the best sales you make. I never meant to imply that I was better I was just trying to find somebody who can be trustworthy by their credentials. Please I did not mean to offend you I just was thinking it is easier to trust somebody I don't really know who has established a certain post count or seems geniune than some body that has not really posted that much. I did not mean any disrespect and am the first to admit I am not better than anybody. The magic club idea is great I have been tying with that idea for the past week actually. Would you reccomend joining both IBM and SAM?
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Oh and by the Way Mr.Biro

I love that devil sculpture on your arm, is that something you built or is it something I can purchase? I collect figures.

Thank you

Chris
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The devil came from Bill Smith's Magic Ventures in Las Vegas. gooogle him. (Smith, not the devil)....

BTW you have posted this in two different sections. Not the best idea.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Ok, I do understand what you mean about the two sections and posting. I had two different types of ideas, some close up and some illusions so I thought that it would be better to do it in two sections and I intended 2 different things. I see how it can be annoying to the other users. Thanks for the info on the Devil I am going to research it. I collect various figures.

Thanks so much for the help,

Chris
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Chris,

You have to understand that specially Grand Illusions and their methods are the most (last) kept secrets in our craft. Why? Because our bretheren who perform them earn quite a bit with them. I suggest and second the answer of Mr. Pete Biro.
Join a magic club and get some literature on the subject. Also, you have to understand in our crazed internet exposure frenzy we are even more reluctant to reveal the inner most secrets to a novice because people just come to 'find out'. By all means I don't say that you are one of them but if you are serious about magic, grand illusions hang in there and....join a club nearest to you. Pandorras box might open soon...

Best,

Silvio
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-06-20 00:11, chrusa wrote:
Would you reccomend joining both IBM and SAM?

Yes. Get to know as many members as you can. You might make friends with some of the officers. Search for who you can trust.

Take pictures of your ideas. Write down your plans. Mail several copies of the information to yourself in a envelope. The dated sealed envelope will help prove you had the idea incase someone tries to rip you off. Before you show your ideas to an illusion builder, have him sign a contract dealing with keeping the plans secret and will not try to steal, sell your plans. You can have an attorney put you a contract together.

You can not be 100% sure someone will not copy your ideas, but with support from becoming friends with other magicians, (Sam, IBM, Magic Café, etc.) we will help support and fight for you.
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Wow!!!!!

"Take pictures of your ideas. Write down your plans. Mail several copies of the information to yourself in a envelope. The dated sealed envelope will help prove you had the idea incase someone tries to rip you off."

I Really like that! Thanks for these ideas these all have been good suggestions from everybody and I like the ideas of magic clubs/

One other thing I was REALLY concerned about and why I wanted someone with a wide array of knowledge is say for example (I am pretending here but going to use something basic to make it easier for me to explain)

Say I have never seen an invisible deck in my life, say I never have heard of it.

Well one morning lets pretend I get this concept and work hard on creating it. I love the concept and show it after a lot of practice and it gets jaw dropping reactions.

I then decide "You know what? I can make some money with this"

I decide to put it on my personal website and sell it.

In the following example I'm not sure who did invent the invisible deck so I just used this "Mr. XYZ Magician" as a made up name

It then turns into Chris is ripping off the invisible deck from Mr. XYZ Magician. He ripped off the effect and is trying to make profit on some other person's idea.

Example Finished

Now if I known from the start it would have

A) Kept me from such a long time trying to develop something when its already out there
b)Would have preventing me from looking like a thief and rip off artist
c) not get a bad reputation

There is a wide array of magic books out there and there are some magicians that seem to know EVERYTHING

You ask a question about something odd or rare and certain magicians will be like "that's in so and sos book entitled... " Or "that's in the june of 1984 issue of this certain magic magazine"

Thanks,

Chris
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » All Illusionists please read (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL