The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fanning Powder - Proper Application? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Someone used to sell a little device to apply fanning powder called 'SOO ZEE' you pushed each card through it. Is this still available?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jon Royer
View Profile
New user
Warminster, PA
70 Posts

Profile of Jon Royer
Daver-A new deck of bicycle cards fan fairly well because of the finish on the cards. However certain decks of manipulation cards with plastic coatings fan horribly without powder. Also as you use certain decks they need powder to keep them fanning smoothly.

As far as technique, I was taught to take the cards on end place fanning powder evenly on the edge of half the deck and Faro shuffle the cards together slowly so the powder rubs between the cards. I then repeat this a couple times to try to make it as even as possible. Afterward, I riffle the sides of the deck, turn it over and riffle both sides again. Lastly I card spring them a few times.

I have never tried the bag method. I did however try Dynamike's way a few times and it works great. It seems a little longer because I am not used to it but it is more controlled. The rubber gloves is a great idea as well. When I worked in a magic shop the fanning powder would coat my hands (from applying it to different decks) and if I rubbed my fingers together it would squeak because it absorbed the oils in my hand. It is a weird feeling and probably not the best thing for your hands.

Just my two cents,

Jon
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-07-28 01:08, Pete Biro wrote:
Someone used to sell a little device to apply fanning powder called 'SOO ZEE' you pushed each card through it. Is this still available?

Yes it is: http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/acatalog/Fanning_Powder.html (third from top)
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
Peterborough Ontario Canada
163 Posts

Profile of Mike McEathron
Quote:
On 2008-07-28 01:08, Pete Biro wrote:

I have one of these and they work great I bought mine a few years ago and it makes the whole job much cleaner and very simple fill it up push the cards through. I bought it a Morrissey magic in toronto ontario canada
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
We magicians are an obsessive lot. All this about fanning powder? Well, I couldn't resist joining the fun.

"Soo Zee" is an easy to use fanning powder applicator available from Abbott's. That is where I got mine many moons ago and still use it. Buy fanning powder separately.

That said, nothing is wrong with the bag method (plastic or paper). Just remember, a little goes along way. The posts above cover that well.

For Stage Work Only. Don't use fanning powder for your close up.If your close up decks fail to fan properly--time to replace them.

Only use fanning powder on stage fanning decks. DO NOT use fanning powder on your nielsen or other manipulation decks. EXCEPTION-if you are in a crunch (say your nielsen deck(s) got a bit dirty for whatever reason) and for some reason you don't have or can't get any others, then to save your hide you could use the fanning powder on your manipulation deck(s) as a quick fix. But after you use them with the powder on just a time or two or three, it will be time to toss them.
They just don't seem right anymore.

Heed the warnings on NOT breathing the fanning powder.

Also, as stated above, work with the deck a bit after a treatment. You'll soon realize a major difference.

Cheers,

Johnson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fanning Powder - Proper Application? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL