The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tag, you're it. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
...however - why are we discussing this at all? Isn't it to find something useful for our mentalism? Then I have to assume that there is no real point in distinguishing tag-lines from any other kind of line that can be of value, or?

...and if that comment of mine wasn't smart-assy enough, I also wish to add that it's "I gave him an offer he couldn't refuse" if I don't miscall things

/Matias
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Saglaser, you are right, but I agree with Matias. I thought this was a topic to start people thinking on how they could apply it to mentalism so that's why I threw in lines that are just memorable and not only tag lines. I think whether it's a tagline or a line within a movie, as long as it is a memorable one, then there are possibilities for use with mentalism. Such as? Let's put our thinking caps on: You have a poster rolled up and use it as a pointer. You have people call out favorite lines from movies. A dozen or so are called out. You then do a pateo force or equivoque with all the choices. One is left. you unroll the poster and it is the movie the audience has decided on. Or...
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
248 Posts

Profile of saglaser
Yup. From the perspective of creating a mentalism presentation, it matters not at all. I just like to be precise in my use of terms. In fact, if I were doing such a routine, I'd never use the phrase "tag lines" because most people wouldn't know what I meant, and those who did know would likely be annoyed because most of the responses I'd get would not truly be tag lines. I'd specify "classic movie lines" and then the whole range is open.

Consider that a verbal subtlety Smile

As for the unrefusable offer, well, that line popped up in a few variations throughout the movie. Without reviewing the film, I wouldn't swear in a court of law that either Matias or I have any of the variations verbatim. Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Saglaser, I agree with your precise use of language, but I still want to see someone come up with ways of using the movie references in some sort of mental effect. C'mon, guys, don't leave me hanging.
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
How_Soon_Is_Now
View Profile
New user
Israel
58 Posts

Profile of How_Soon_Is_Now
Quote:
On 2002-03-06 11:29, Drewmcadam wrote:
For those that don’t know, a Tag Line is slogan used to advertise a film. They’re mainly found on movie advertising posters… remember “In space, no one can hear you scream”?

It strikes me that some of those could be lifted and used as “hot buttons” in mentalism acts. For example, there is one I saw once (though I can’t for the life of me remember which film it was from) : “Believe in the impossible, and the amazing can happen”

Or how about: “They’re here!” Delivered with the right emphasis (sort of sing-song) this can still have a chilling effect.

Any offers from anybody?

I think some of you guys missed the point of the original post. It's not about movie/tag lines that are famous or memory evoking.

It's about the way that cleverly crafted few words, relating to a film that people haven't seen, are designed to (and manage to) affect them on an emotional way so as to raise their interest about it.

The idea is to look into why the mentalism related, successful lines work so well and try to incorporate those ideas into your presentation.

That post gave me some great ideas. Thanks Drew!
"I know your trail of tears, your slip of hand/ Your monkey paw, your monkey claw/ And you monkey hand/ I've seen your trick of blood, your trap of fire/ Your ancient wound, your scarlet moon/ And your jailhouse smile" - Cave
Mr Secret-ary
View Profile
Regular user
Bath, England
106 Posts

Profile of Mr Secret-ary
"Frank Drebin (SUBSITUTE YOUR NAME HERE) is back: just accept it".

The Naked Gun sequel
Lesault
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Lesault
Quote:
On 2002-03-10 13:32, Andy Leviss wrote:

"God has three letters. Ito has three letters. Coincidence? I think not."

24 beers in a crate, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not! - from a very old email sig.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
here are 2 more:
"Man, I'm tired of being right!" --Ace Ventura Pet Detective

"Hey son, you got a panty on your head"--Raising Arizona

Ok, maybe they only apply to my show.

CHad
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
It's "what we have here is a failure to communicate". And the coincidence line has been around forever. Who knows what started it?

Jonathan Grant
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tag, you're it. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL