The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Downs Palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Hello all, my question on this subject is how deep should the DP be placed in the webe of the hand? I have Bobo's book and cannot find any reference to how deep it should be placed.

I currently place the coin so that the exposed edge of the coin is about 1/4 inch above the crease(joint) of the thumb(towards the tip of the thumb). The edge that is gripped by the thumb and upper palm is maybe 1/4 inch below the crease(joint) of the thumb. This is the position it lands in when I do it. Because the coin is not as deep in the web as I would like it to be my thumb movement is restricted and appears slightly frozen.

Any tips would be helpful.

BTW, just a bit of background I have been concentrating on Card magic the last 7yrs. and I have only recently begun to get into coin magic. So in the area of coin magic I'm a relative newbie.

Thanks for in advance for any help with this.
edh

P.S. I hope my question is clear.
Magic is a vanishing art.
mud
View Profile
New user
Western NY
66 Posts

Profile of mud
One thing I've found that seems to help me first practice with palms:
  1. Place the coin manually in the position you want it to end up (as in, use your other hand and really get it where you want).
  2. Do the "production" part of the move, so like clip it with your fingers and bring the coin out (but don't really release it, just get it out of DP and keep it clipped).
  3. From here, you can practice putting it back into the perfect position you want, just by reversing the motion.

If it gets out of good position, start from the beginning. Pretty soon you stop having to adjust it, and muscle memory helps you get the right motion from the start instead of "cheating" (and it lets you see the way you should grip it from the start).

Seemed to help me get the right grip and position down.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Good advice.

I'm the king of the Downs' Palm, and anybody who says otherwise can kiss my A**. I have a world record to prove it. DP 10 U.S. Silver Dollars. If you'd like the opinion of an expert, PM me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohE27UPyYJw
mud
View Profile
New user
Western NY
66 Posts

Profile of mud
Wow. That is a crazy video! Congratulations on your world record (a little late, I know...I wasn't around for the original thread).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Downs Palm (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL