The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Parameters (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
So, I'm working on The Project (and The Other Project) and in the course of scripting and blocking and outlining it occurred to me that I am setting very specific parameters and limitations to what sort of "paranormal" things I (or my character) can do.

... well, when your magic show name has "the Adequate" at the end, you're clearly setting the bar pretty low.

What sort of limits do you put on your performance persona? What sort of amazingness is just out of reach, or flat out not something your persona / character is capable of?

AND... who feels that setting limitation to your abilities lends credibility? Who thinks it doesn't? Who wants pie?
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I want pie, and I have very firm limitations.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Parameters aren't limitations they are boxes to hold credibility and understanding.

Not having them will be very limiting.
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
I would also like pie; cherry and Dutch apple are particular favorites.

For me, parameters are more intuitive than consciously and specifically worked out. I review material and make a judgment on a case-by-case basis -- "Yes, that would work for me -- no, that would not work for me."

I understand that it would make sense to set the parameters and work within them, but as I've said, for me it's a more intuitive process.

Rory
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
visit www.roryraven.com today!
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
I found it helped me sort out what sort of things I could do in performance by setting limits. It started with the (inevitable) rhetorical question "Can you tell me the winning lottery numbers for this week?" ...

My answer turned out to be, "Yeah, if I could be in the same room as the ball machine about three minutes before they picked 'em... but I don't think they'd let me do that." Maybe it's a more complicated version of Max Maven's "Oh I'm not that good," casual disclaimer, but, even if I never use that answer in performance I have it in my "backstory"...

This is what happens when you start out as a theater geek and THEN become a magic geek.
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Parameters (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL