The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sleight of Mind (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
I believe you are correct regarding the principle behind the effect; it is the same as Bobo's "Higher Mentality" and my own "Higher Calling".

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
296 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
Thanks Christopher for clearing that up. I thought it might be after reading the effect on Trickshop and it sounded exactly the same to me.

Teejay: Yes, I meant cold read, guess the word stuck from going through the Fulves book again Smile
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2008-07-04 19:59, bear trees wrote:
Theres also a mental note type effect which is pretty cool.

Could you tell us the name of that item?
:)
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
It's the same principle as a very old trick (my father taught it to me about 50 years ago) in which you deal cards out in rows, collect them up and redeal them in columns. It must be written up in one of the classic texts.

Barry
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2008-07-07 06:04, mindmagic wrote:
It's the same principle as a very old trick (my father taught it to me about 50 years ago) in which you deal cards out in rows, collect them up and redeal them in columns. It must be written up in one of the classic texts.
Barry

It probably is, but this is not as obvious. And you can make it even more 'hidden': Supposing they pick 3H. I look at the relevant hand. I say something like this;
You seem like your in a good mood so it is probably a red card and you seemed to pick it very quickly so it is probably a low one. There are two red cards here etc., etc.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2008-07-07 03:25, alexander_may wrote:
Teejay: Yes, I meant cold read, guess the word stuck from going through the Fulves book again Smile

Thanks, I do a CR every chance that I get.
See my last post LOL
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Picard
For a nice presentation of this effect I highly suggest "Know Way!" by Mick Ayres from his Predictabilities.
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
296 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
This effect can play very strong, since it looks similar to those 'columns and rows' type trick that basically everybody learnt as a kid. It happens quite often, especially when I'm doing bars, that someone asks if he/ she can show me a trick and do something like that.

Imagine following that up, but now you never see the card's faces. And you can make it even stronger by using Carolini's idea of marked cards - doing the CR, without ever seeing the cards.

In the hands of a skilled performer this can absoultely fry them!
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
668 Posts

Profile of Alel
This also appeared on Darwin Ortiz' Scams & Fantasies under a different name: Liar's Poker. Its a card book, so the presentational texts in there might not suit the mentalist. But heck, all of us know how to alter the presentations right?

I loveo this effect. Its baffling. Its a nice prelude or interlude to the Ten Card Poker Deal.

Alel
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Gentlemen,

There are many variations on this effect available. Fulves, Bobo, Taylor, myself, Schindler, Garcia, Christ and Annemann have all published variations on this effect...and those are just the ones I know about. For the most part, the principle lies untouched and the differences lie in the presentations. For the record, I use this to close my resort shows in a very dramatic manner. My version is titled 'Know Way!' and can be found in "Predict-Abilities".

Best,
Mick Ayres
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
"Routined Poker Mental" from the Book of John by John Mendoza
Great routine
-Woodfield
magicmarc
View Profile
New user
NYC
30 Posts

Profile of magicmarc
I'll look it up as well and be reminded of the old books. I believe I have it on the shelf.
m
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sleight of Mind (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL