The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Request: "Mongolian Pop-Knots" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
I heard 2nd hand through "experienced" sources that this rope effect by Whit Haydn is excellent.

They say it's effective for stage (plays large enough) or even for walk-around (if you keep a pocket of "extras" available).

To those who have performed it - what's your opinion?

Thanks!
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The Mongolian Pop-Knot is a routine developed for street magic, though it works in many venues and has been one of the most important routines in my repertoire, one with which I have made a living for thirty years. I have used it on cruise ships, theatrical stages, open air arenas, comedy clubs, club dates, trade-shows, theme parks, fairs, and television.

I don't think it is good for walk-around, however, since it is a rather long routine for close-up,(something which is valuable for street and stage), and you would have to carry so much rope around. It would also be expensive in that situation.

It uses twelve to fourteen feet of rope at a time, and the rope can not be used again. A couple of bucks each time for a street show or stage show is a very reasonable cost, but for walkaround, it would be prohibitive.

It plays well on even the biggest stages, and I have used it for an audience of 8,000 people when opening for Conway Twitty and Loretta Lynn, and it went extremely well.

For a review of the routine, I think it best that others who have used it handle that. I like it a lot, as you would expect.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I think it is an outstanding routine, clearly explained, excellently written. I have to agree, it is a bit cumbersome for high-repeat walkaround venues, but for parlor, stage or street it is a wonderful rope effect. You can't go wrong with it as far as I'm concerned, and it is worth many times more than the cost of the manuscript.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I"ve seen it on the Scoundrels site. Looks very inviting. I do some street magic over here. Is it possible to do it silently? Say, with a minimum of talking? I speak Chinese in all of my magic, and sometimes it's hard to come up with the same types of funny stuff from the English language. (I like a lot of stuff on the Scoundrels site.....praying in the money for it, believe me.)
Does the routine have a demo anywhere in cyberspace to take any sort of preview of? I have seriously considered ordering this routine. If anyone can please add to this thread, I'd be super grateful.
JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Whit,
I have considered purchasing the routine, but I have to tell you, using 12-14 feet of rope each time with out any reuse seems a bit prohibitive.

When you used it in your street routine, how often did you do the routine per day? Were you a 4 times an hour kinda guy or maybe one big show every hour or so?

I would think that doing four times an hour would add a serious rope cost to the budget, not to mention the knots.

Any thoughts?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
392 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I love this routine. I have been performing it for the past year with much success. I really like that it has an explanatory angle and you aren't trying to fool the audience, but rather educate them on a mystery that we magicians take for granted.

Get this if you haven't already. If anything, you get to see how combining some simple moves can create a wonderful routine.

Great job, Whit, This is gold.
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
It is a beauty.
Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2003, Kaliix wrote:
Whit,
I have considered purchasing the routine, but I have to tell you, using 12-14 feet of rope each time with out any reuse seems a bit prohibitive.

When you used it in your street routine, how often did you do the routine per day? Were you a 4 times an hour kinda guy or maybe one big show every hour or so?

I would think that doing four times an hour would add a serious rope cost to the budget, not to mention the knots.

Any thoughts?

When I worked the streets, I would do five to six big hats a day. In the Sixties, rope was less expensive and I used shorter, thinner rope. Today, using the thickest available rope and about fourteen feet each show, can cost six bucks a show. It is worth it to me, because the trick is so powerful and so fool proof. It plays big on the largest stage. Here is a recent performance:

Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2003, Al Kazam the Magic Man wrote:
I"ve seen it on the Scoundrels site. Looks very inviting. I do some street magic over here. Is it possible to do it silently? Say, with a minimum of talking? I speak Chinese in all of my magic, and sometimes it's hard to come up with the same types of funny stuff from the English language. (I like a lot of stuff on the Scoundrels site.....praying in the money for it, believe me.)
Does the routine have a demo anywhere in cyberspace to take any sort of preview of? I have seriously considered ordering this routine. If anyone can please add to this thread, I'd be super grateful.
JoJo

I think it could be very funny teaching it in Chinese.
solidoak
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of solidoak
Thank you for posting that clip! What a great act!
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
Absolutely love this routine! It seems like every thing pop Haydn does is pure gold and obviously the result of years and years of hard work and polish. To say I'm a fan would be an under statement! Pop Haydn do you have a recommendation for a rope to use when learning this routine & when Performing it? really looking forward to starting work on this any advice you have would be great.thanks
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I recommend you start with thin rope as it is easier to handle. It is also cheaper. Dany Baronian sells all sizes of fine quality rope at www.baroniantrading.com You can also practice with cheap cotton rope from the hardware store, but it is usually impregnated with chemicals and too stiff. If you practice in sections, you can use the same pieces of rope over and over again.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Pop,
That's great advice thanks so much! nice to know I can Hit the hardware store in the morning and start working on it Tomorrow rather than waiting on rope to get delivered. also very smart idea to practice in sections to conserve rope. thanks again
Jim Mullen
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Tahoe, California
351 Posts

Profile of Jim Mullen
Pop,
I’m putting the trick in my stand-up show right now.
While practicing, I use a bit of Scotch tape to hold the two big pieces together. My plan is to just buy a 100 meter spool of Baronial #4 or #5
That’s about $130, which is less than my new Rice silks for 20th Century Silks.
which I use in my kids show.
I also pay a buck per show for my bill in lemon. And don’t forget the blown eggs for use with the Malini bag.
And how about the life cost of the tux?

Which rope is best?

Alternatively we all can try the Daryl routine in which your fingers
pretend to be scissors. It’s a fine routine, but in MPK the audience sees you actually cut the ropes.
Jim Mullen

Lake Tahoe
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

For me I have no question on which rope routine I will be doing its Pops MPK all the way! I absolutely love it. so well thought out and so well polished I love watching it, I love Performing it, and I LOVE the reactions I get from people who see it. IMHO other rope routines don't make the cut when compared to Pops MPK.
Jim Mullen
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Tahoe, California
351 Posts

Profile of Jim Mullen
Even though Pop’s patter has evolved over the years, I’ve memorized the original from his pamphlet.
The original patter seems more carefully constructed.
On the other hand, the evolved versions are more conversational and natural.
Take a look at the you tube versions.
Jim Mullen

Lake Tahoe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Request: "Mongolian Pop-Knots" (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL