The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Swearing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Obviously not on the performers part but do kids ever swear at shows

and what do you do about it, or is it left for the parents to sort out?
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I'd ignore it, carry on, and let the parents sort it out. People get funny if strangers correct their children.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I've had it before. I suppose it depends on the audience and what the parents reactions would be. This particular child was briskly carried out of the room by his father and returned after the show in floods of tears. But I imagine this isn't always the case.

Mark
Mark Daniel
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
The best I had was during a Punch and Judy show nearly 20 years ago - A tiny little boy who must have been all of three years old stood in front of the frame screaming

'F*** off! F*** off! F*** off! at Mr Punch, who had been denying that he'd been eating the sausages.

As I recall, nobody did anything to stop it, so I just carried on and ignored it.

I did think at the time that it would have been hilarious if Mr Punch had turned to him and rasped:

'No, you f*** off!!'

But luckily I didn't succumb to the temptation.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Well I'm sure that some have seen or been to a 5 or 6 year old's party and mom and dad have their friends there as well,(Usually during the summer and it is a picnic sort of party) and the beer is flowing and they are playing "Rap" with the speakers up as loud as possible. They don't turn it down or off while you get set up. This music is blaring and the explitivesa that come out would make a dockworker blush, but everyone goes on like nothing is happening. Then they wonder why their kids get in trouble in school because of their mouth. DAH!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I always founbd that the most likely thing to help (not guaranteed but very likely) in many situations, from the swearing to drunken uncles who want to look thru your setup, is to fix the perpetrators with my steely glare and say "we're not going to do that."

No explanations or elaboration, no anger, no apologies, no frustration - just a deadly-serious statement of fact.

Might take a couple of times, but it worked for me.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
I obviously work for rather well mannered people as I rarely have a swearing problem. However......

Couple of years ago I was working Punch to big crowds at a major outdoor event and I came back to the booth for the last performance to find people sitting and picnicking in front of my show where the audience sits. A big man was sat with his back to my show, legs stretched out in front of him. In these cases I do my usual' you're fine for the moment but please be aware I'll be ringing up the next show in about ten minutes.' The usual response of 'thanks - we'll be gone by then.' The big man said nothing.

Ten minutes later I fired up the music and came out swinging my bell. The picnickers had gone but the big man was still sat there. He was blocking my route, to and fro across the front of my booth. I reminded him I was starting and he replied 'F- off!' I don't argue in those circumstances but neither will I give way. I marched up and down in front of my booth stepping over his legs. The children came running. He still didn't move.

From away to my left I saw a young lad of about ten years plodding purposefully towards me, little sister holding his left hand. It was their fourth visit of the day and he was a solidly built young fellow, cracking on he was only there for his sister. He enjoyed the show more than she did! He had a very serious face but when I caught a glimpse of him through my squint during the show, he was laughing.

He was trying to sit her down at the front only the man's legs and feet were in the way so he said 'I'm trying to sit my sister down. She wants to watch the show.'

'F- off!' the man said.

'F- off yourself' the lad replied seriously, adding 'This show's for kids like her.'

The man didn't move. From the right two little girls, probably about four walking hand in hand approached and the man once more said 'F- off!'

And then out of nowhere there appeared by my side a gorilla. Seven foot tall, broad, wearing just a pair of shorts and with a shaved head in contrast to the rest of him - he was covered in thick black hair which you could have plaited if you'd been inclined. He stood over the man and said:

'What did you just say to my kids?'

And the man said 'I'm just going' and was gone in a trice. The gorilla gave me a wink.

I noticed the serious faced young boy was smiling broadly!
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Better go find a gorilla
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
It's always been amazing to me that you have to buy a licence to own a dog, but any idiot can have a child...or several. I've been fortunate and have never had a problem like the above in my shows. It never really crossed my mind that it would occure.

I did kick a guy out of Applebee's the other day who was drunk and yelling f--- off to the wait staff though. Does that count? I twist balloons there pretty regularly and the manager was in his office...I felt it was my duty. Thinking about it though, I would have done it even if I wasn't working there. There is no need for that behavior in a family setting.

Keith
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Hello Rossmacrae,

Yes, where it is a last recourse
(soused uncle toying with your stuff, etc)
I just love your "we're not going to do that" approach.

Sometimes -dead silence- and fixing them with a stare
that would paralyze the average Bengal Tiger will do the job.

Sometimes the "we're not going to do that" must be added.

Two things I think it is helpful for performers to always remember:
1- It is your show, your audience, your responsibility.
2- Be a gentleman (or gentlewoman) always, always.

Thanks for your two-cents!
Walt
Tony Chris
View Profile
V.I.P.
Vancouver, Canada
714 Posts

Profile of Tony Chris
I agree with Walt on the stare of doom theory. That has worked for me also when it happens once in a blue moon.

Swearing can sometimes happen amongst the little ones. Although it hasn't happened to often except for only a small handful of times over the last 15 years as a birthday party professional, I tend to guage the response of the audience and adults in the crowd first before proceeding with action.

If a child swears and it is not very loud or too noticeable, I try not to bring attention to it and cary on as perhaps not all the children will have heard it.

If a child swears and it is loud, very intentional and noticeable, I do go out of character and address the child directly with firm eye contact and let them know by verbally telling them that their comment is very rude, inapropriate and not acceptable in my show. I say this with a very serious tone I then ask the parent in charge or another adult in the room to please make note of the child and ask them to either move the child to the back or to to get the host parent and I will inform them of the situation. The important thing is, don't let it continue if at all possible.
As magicians we create what onlookers call magic. If they truly believe in what we have created for them to witness then magic is real!!!

- TONY CHRIS, A.K.A. Zany Zack

http://www.tonychris.com
DCURTHRABE
View Profile
New user
Burbank, IL
78 Posts

Profile of DCURTHRABE
As it is my normal procedure to have at least one or two adults present during my performance, I usually ignore the outburst and hope that one of the adults present will remedy the situation, as I am there to entertain and not to be baby sitter, if this doesn't work I would then pause the show briefly and address an adult directly to handle the problem.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I wonder what would happen if the puppet said, "I dare you to go over and say that to your Mom?"
Dennis Michael
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Some kids would have no problem with that either!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Not quite swearing, but I found it funny (and so did the audience). This was a busking show by the way:

I do this bit with putting a spinning plate on the finger or a child. At the right moment I ask the child to put up the finger he/she picks their nose with. Cheap laugh, I know, but it works. Well, this kid sticks up his middle finger as I am looking at the audience. I turn around and see that he is flipping me the bird (unbeknownst to him). The audience starts laughing hysterically. I decided to use this to my advantage and use the innocent factor of the child. I told him to show these other people coming over (crowd gathering at this point) the finger he picks his nose with. It was a great bit to use as a call-back throughout the show.

To answer the original post's intent:
I usually just reinterpret their remark and redirect. If some child said "No F---ing way!" Then I would reply "That was awesome wasn't it?". If the swear was intended as a curse or to be demeaning then I would treat it the same as if a child was yelling "boo!" or "you suck" type of statements.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
My most memorable moment is not the kids using the F*** word, but the parents who used them IN FRONT OF THEIR KIDS IN A PARTY!

What happen was I was doing my show, a mischievous boy (Boy A) accidentally hit another boy (Boy B). Boy B got a little hurt and went to tell daddy. Boy B's daddy talk to Boy A's daddy right behind the other kids, who are watching my show.

Then, in just minutes, all the F words are out of the parents' mouth, causing quite a bit of commotion and disturbance to my show.

I have to ignore them and give an eye to the host. Good thing that the host knows what to do.

I think that's worst than having kids that swears in the show...
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
655 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Years ago I'm performing the Professor's Nightmare at an elementary school. I'm at the point where I'm slowly stretching the ropes to be the same size. The audience is completely (and I mean COMPLETELY) silent and still ...

... except for one kid in the middle that says "Holy Crap!"

I dealt with it by biting my lip and try not to laugh.

And, Dennis, your suggestion is genius.

DD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Swearing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL