The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help with Raven! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

net7
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of net7
Ok I got my Raven today, and my problem is getting the "Raven" to go up my sleeve in my coat. It always gets caught at the cuff leaving my trick exposed. I can't figure out how to do it..

It works right maybe one in four times, but that just isn't good enough. I know this trick will take practice.. but still
cheezymagic
View Profile
New user
Oblivion
23 Posts

Profile of cheezymagic
Do what most magicians do, put it in your junk drawer!
"Master of the Ding Dong"
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
It helps to make sure that the raven is really tight! Use the ring stop thing (technical term) to hold the raven from going out of reach, but it should be fairly tight against the stop so when you use it, it's really tight and will snap back better...

That should help, let us know!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
MagiCat
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of MagiCat
I still don't understand why some of you keep the Raven in your drawer, I have it everywhere I go.

net7, to address your concern I would first point you to the Raven Video, Chuck Leech addresses everything you need to know about this gimmick. I'll admit, I got it, played with it, and left it in a drawer for awhile ...but then I got the video, and I haven't left home without it since.

That video is here:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/

...it's very inexpensive, and totally worth it.

Having said that, your problem with the raven can be solved easliy, but not here as not to expose the gimmick. PM me if you're interested... the video really helps though. Seeing Chuck with the Raven makes you want to perform it for everyone you see!

MagiCat Smile
cheezymagic
View Profile
New user
Oblivion
23 Posts

Profile of cheezymagic
I think most working pro's junk drawer has had the raven in there at one point in their life, but if you're a novice, enjoy it for awhile and eventually it will be your turn to place it among the most useless utility items of the 20th century, IMHO, much like the Flowbee or the bird clock. Smile
"Master of the Ding Dong"
net7
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of net7
Thanks for the encouragement .. heh..

Yeah I started by watching the beginning part of the video..

One more problem I had when it was tight was it visually traveled up my arm.. or my coat was very obviously being bounced about.

I will try the stopper thingy ma jigger. Smile Smile
Keith Larocque
View Profile
New user
Ontario
47 Posts

Profile of Keith Larocque
I use to have this problem when I first started using the raven as well. I found that if you keep your hands flat towards the ground maybe when you release it, it shouldn't be as bad for catching. Or even maybe try a different coat.
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
I don't agree with "setting it up so it is really tight", it gives you the noise, and coat movement you hate.. if you bend your arm in towards your body as you make the move, it is silent and works well...
as for getting it caught on your coat or clothing, get a different coat. if it is too constricting in certain areas it will never be reliable. I would never use it with just a shirt... and as of now, it is not
"junked", but I rarely use it anymore.

Believe it or not CheezyMagic has a point.
I used to bash people who told me that as well, and I had my Raven on EVERYWHERE I went. But now, after learning "real" sleight of hand with coins, the Raven sits on the shelf. It is an excellent effect for beginners, and it is true, you can perform a very clean vanish utilizing the Raven. BUT as you progress in your magic, you will find that a simple coin vanish is not what you are after.

What I mean is, as you gain experience in your presentation skills, you will desire to creat routines that at some point will involve a coin vanish, and getting set up with the raven in the middle of a one coin routine is next to impossible..

Good Luck and have a blast with it!
If you would like more tips that get into more detail just drop me a PM.
C-ya
Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Even though it was a good idea the Raven could have been engineered better.

It's just too bulky and does get caught on sleeves and shirts.
My solution was to re-design it.
Open one edge of the felt very carefully. Then, pull out the M and with a knife, wittle it down to about 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch. Put the M back in the felt and sew down both sides so the M is centered in the device. This makes a huge difference and works very well. It still picks things up just as well too.
One note, do not use a saw to cut your M. Heat will damage it's properties.

Also, when using a jacket, use it attached to your belt. Run the elastic through your belt loops letting one loop stop the Raven.
It's my favorite way to use it.
Good luck
Daniel Faith
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
I don't use it to go up the sleeve.

I bend forward and let it go inside my open jacket. My forearm hides the move.
Keith Larocque
View Profile
New user
Ontario
47 Posts

Profile of Keith Larocque
that's a cool idea, I have never thought of using that handling. Good job
sc24evr
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of sc24evr
I have a question, I bought the raven and it's in the mail, but I was wondering one thing. If the spectator is wearing a ring on their hand, can it mess up the vanish?

Thanks
Jasonm921
View Profile
New user
NYC
86 Posts

Profile of Jasonm921
I don't think precious metals are magnetic.
MagiCat
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of MagiCat
sc24evr,

no. If it is steel, maybe. Most likely, no.

MagiCat Smile
indianajones
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of indianajones
it helps if you bend the distal and proximal finger joint before going into the circular motion described in the video tape.
ChrisMagic52
View Profile
Loyal user
North Vancouver, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of ChrisMagic52
I think people should just stop making the raven. It's a terrible trick!!
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
If you practice a lot, you will find that it is very easy and a great trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help with Raven! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL