The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » All U.S. Citizen's should view this (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Interesting. Nuff Said !!
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I am SO glad you posted that! I was totally ignorant of those facts! Now I know!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Excellent advise and a good piece...

However what if you are part of the reporting of the crime in question to the police? I guess they haven't read you the 'rights' so it's not admissable?
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I'm surprised anyone doesn't know this. Ignorance of the law seems to be the common condition, though.

Also, this video uses the word "exculpatory" frequently!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Ignorance and poverty will never be overcome.

"If cops are so honest, why do they lock their lockers?" Gallaghar
POOF!
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Mr. Gaddy...'knowing this' and having it emphasized and reiterated with a flashing underline are different shades of an equine. This kind of info is usually filed away...unless one had frequent use of it.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Yes, most people know about not to talk to the police. Most people don't know why and that is where the problem occurs for some. As the video shows though, even the slightest slip can get you in trouble (doesn't mean conviction, but possibly accused).

Some of this video obviously relates to other countries as well that follow the same or similar police procedures.

For those in Canada and the UK, according to Wikipedia have similar laws regarding self-incrimination
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-incrimination
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
View this and replace "you" with "candidate," and replace "police" with "press."

Result is pretty congruent with reality: anything any candidate says, no matter how true or innocent, CAN and WILL be used to hang him/her.

OMG! Obama gave his wife a fist-bump! Just like anyone might do and mean nothing by it! It's a terrorist signal! It's a "black-power" gesture! Everybody, look at the evil man!

Anything you do in front of people (cell-phone-camera-wielding people) will be wildly misinterpreted on Youtube in minutes.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-07-08 09:04, Doug Higley wrote:
Mr. Gaddy...'knowing this' and having it emphasized and reiterated with a flashing underline are different shades of an equine. This kind of info is usually filed away...unless one had frequent use of it.

I spoke, and thus I am indicted...

This is rule #1 for civil disobedience activists and protesters.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Point. Smile
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2008-07-08 04:02, Doug Higley wrote:
Excellent advise and a good piece...

However what if you are part of the reporting of the crime in question to the police? I guess they haven't read you the 'rights' so it's not admissable?

That is a good question. Should we also demand a lawyer present when filing a report of a crime?

Maybe we should ask Skip or Policemagician here on the Café.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
One point that wasn't made clear was how to handle it when an officer asks, "Is it okay if I..." Always answer with a respectful but firm, "I'm sorry officer, but no I do NOT give you permission to..."

On the other hand, you DO have to obey direct orders from a police officer, such as "Show me your ID!" or "Spread 'em!" Just say "Yes, sir" and let your lawyer work out later whether such-and-such a request was legal or not.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I am not American but that was a very insightful video. I actually enjoyed watching it.
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
That was one of the most interesting video's I've seen on the Internet for quite some time. I hope everyone watched part two, where the former detective told about some of the tricks used on interviews. Fascinating!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Is there a part II? I didn't see it, gosh darn it.. The professor's quite captivating, I'm glad you share this with us. Human errors in perception and human tendency of filling in the blanks cannot be overstressed.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » All U.S. Citizen's should view this (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL