The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Girlie Men Leaning on Shovels Ahead (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Today I'm embarrassed by my adopted city.
ajc.com

"Bow down before the one you serve. You're going to get what you deserve." TR
POOF!
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I don't mind "Men Working", "Women Working" or "Worker's Ahead" as long as when I get through the delay they are indeed working. Just sounds like PINK magazine needed to boost their subscriber base.

JMHO

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Yeah, I'd be embarrassed, too. I mean, "Men Working" can be seen as a generic usage meaning both men and women, can't it? The idea that you're going to spend all this money changing the dumb signs that everyone already understands --

Ludicrous!

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Some folks really need to get a life! This sort of thing doesn't seem to be that big a deal for male students at Mississippi University for Women (MUW)! Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I'm glad someone is working on all these "subtle" problems. It keeps people occupied and innatentive to any real problems.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Politrikcs is just a Black Hole,
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
<-----is sitting here with her head in her hands saying, "Good Lord, do these people not have anything better to do?"

As a WOMAN who has worked on the other side of the orange barrels, I don't care if the signs say "Primates Sitting Around Making Funny Faces at Traffic" I just want people to slow down to the posted speed limit in those construction zones (which is generally 45 mph unless posted otherwise). I will tell you that when all that is separating me from that 18-wheeler going 75 is one of those orange barrels, it can be unnerving!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I think it's a step forward for all non-specific gender kind.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
ANDROGYNOUS WORKERS AHEAD Smile
POOF!
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Good thing I don't see sex, color creed, nationality, or religion. You are all one big group of stink bugs to me!

I do see species, so any anti speciesists out there should cover their eyes (Their many pairs of eyes)
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
any anti speciesists out there should cover their eyes (Their many pairs of eyes)

is that anything like an anti-dentite?
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
That just means that we need to change any words that has man or men in it...

menopause --> womanopause
menstrual --> womenstrual
manhole --> womanhole
postman --> postwoman
human --> huwoman
mankind is meant to signify the entire human species, does that mean we now need to separate that into mankind and womankind?
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Womanhole.... That pleases my humor.

Women are from Mars. they clearly are a different species. I like tho call them: "Tools" or "Items". My wife seems to take issue with such terms though. I assume it's a Mars ethos.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I actually like WORKERS AHEAD in lieu of MEN AT WORK. It's visually cleaner, more succinct and accurate.

MEN AT WORK may not accurately describe the tableau you might encounter down the road. There could be men there but they may or may not be working. Therefore the sign does not accurately portray the events it proclaims.

WORKERS AHEAD promises to be a more accurate portrayal of the personages you will encounter. After all they are workers. Just because they might not be working now doesn't exclude the possibilities that they might have worked in the recent past or perhaps will be working in the near future. Those shovels they are leaning upon didn't appear magically under them so they must have worked at least a little to obtain them. Thus the signage of WORKERS AHEAD has fulfilled its promise whereas MEN AT WORK would have been a far less accurate description of the actions you encountered as you slowly drove past.

Spending revenue to increase the accuracy of the aforesaid mentioned signage was poor planning. It would have been much wiser to change out the banners through attrition alone. This not only would have been more economical but aesthetically pleasing as well. Looking at poorly modified signage where both the colours and font do not match is an affront to ones delicate sensibilities and in the end looks childish and amateurish. Much better to retire the tired old signs and replace them with fresh new ones than to try and cobble them together from spare parts.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
DOGSBODIES AHEAD or PROLETARIANS AHEAD.
We could also post signs in government offices, and comic book stores; PRIGS AHEAD.
POOF!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2008-07-14 11:24, Payne wrote:

MEN AT WORK may not accurately describe the tableau you might encounter down the road.

The whole "tableau" idea in this context kind of throws me. To me, the word conjures up visions of pristine landscapes, complete with clear, babbling brooks, and cute, furry woodland creatures. Usually, however, when the "Workpersons Ahead" sign is present, my attention is fixed on the potholes and splashing asphalt - not a pretty sight.

Quote:

There could be men there but they may or may not be working. Therefore the sign does not accurately portray the events it proclaims.

Why do you assume that the sign has to apply to the situation DIRECTLY ahead? Why can't it apply to a situation several miles down the road, or several counties over? What if there are also women on-site but they aren't DOING anything? HMMM???
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Quote:
Spending revenue to increase the accuracy of the aforesaid mentioned signage was poor planning.

Considering the fact that Atlanta has built up a sixty million dollar budget shortfall due to p*ss poor discretionary spending. If public schools did one thing, at the least, it would be great if they taught children how to budget and plan their finances. Smile
POOF!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Girlie Men Leaning on Shovels Ahead (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL