The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Question about "Tricks of the Mind" by Derren Brown (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
I seen on a website two different covers of the same book, and was wondering if anyone knows the difference...both pictures of the book look the same, except one has a little red devil on his left shoulder. Can anyone elaborate if there different as far as "special edition," or different effects in the book?

Junior
J Rodriguez
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
Not sure exactly on what the different covers mean. I do know that Derren had to change a few things in the NLP section of the book because of Richard Bandler and some legal issues.
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
It's a book for the public, so there are no "effects" in there. Still a great read if you're a Derren fan though. I think the different cover is just a different print run.

-- Topher
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
Might be a difference between the hardcover and softcover books.

Either way, the contents will be the same, except for an additional preface and corrections to any errors.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Quote:
On 2008-07-14 05:52, Kimura wrote:
Might be a difference between the hardcover and softcover books.

Either way, the contents will be the same, except for an additional preface and corrections to any errors.

I am pretty sure this is the case. The hardcopy is now OOP as far as I know. The paperback is probably the one your are seeing (if the price was reasonable). I recently bought this and have found it an interesting read, especially since it is directed at the general public.

He has clearly laid out a lot of the techniques and ideas behind our craft (not necessarily secrets and methods). I am not finished, but have found it a solid-read so far. His discussion of hypnosis is great and informative. I was honestly surprised how well it was described for the public and his candor with the mass readership was intriguing. All in all, I think it is an enjoyable book (even for performers).

I find it interesting how his life is mirroring that of life Chan Canasta (who is also a brilliant psychological entertainer who wrote a book for the general public, and had an interest in painting). My guess is, Derren will soon take his leave of all of us and retire to paint as well. Smile

..He deserves the rest!

Sean
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Here's the link so you guys can see for yourself the two different covers....they both say paperback....maybe its just the image they used.

Junior

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZder......0QQ_mdoZ
J Rodriguez
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
That's weird
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
They are different editions. The one without the devil is the New Ed edition, published in October 2007 (416 pages). The one without the devil is the first paperback printing, published in May 2007 (400 pages). I don't know that there was any additional material in the New Ed edition. Likely just reformatted pagination, but I don't know for sure. As for the ebay prices... outrageous. You'd be better off checking out Amazon or possibly Amazon.co.uk.
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Thanks for clarifing that for me magiguy, much appreciated.

Junior
J Rodriguez
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
£3.49 at Amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_......&x=0&y=0

-- Topher
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Question about "Tricks of the Mind" by Derren Brown (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL