The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Stuck with routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mrmojorisin
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of mrmojorisin
Morning all,
I recently finished college and was able to begin my studies in card magic. Been studying from a few really helpful books (my favorite is the Royal Road to Card Magic). I've learnt and practiced loads of the basic sleights, shuffles and flourishes, and feel I'm now ready to start using them.

My problem is, the beginner card tricks in the books I have been learning from are ok, but I've found nothing that really catches my eye (maybe I'm jumping too far ahead of myself).
I want to get together a small routine of tricks. Just wondered if you guys had any suggestions of some tricks I could use as a beginner in my routine, any tricks you guys started out using. Not looking for self-working tricks, as I'm really looking to use the sleight-of-hand I have been learning.

Thanks for any help,
Mojo
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Still my favorite book is Close-up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne. Just wonderful stuff. Note also that in many cases you may not realize how good a trick is until you actually learn and do it. In any case, the book above if filled with terrific stuff that is perfect for someone in your position. Best,
Brad Burt
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I'd suggest not being so choosy in the beginning. Find a trick - pick one at random if you need to - and learn it to mastery (or at least proficiency) and then move on to another one, random or not.

If you live near a magic shop, go there and ask around. Your selection process will be a lot easier - you'll be able to see good tricks done live in front of you, and you'll know where to find them!

Good luck! Sounds to me like you are well on your way to doing some great magic!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
You're better off with LORAYNE: THE CLASSSIC COLLECTION, which contains the re-write and updating of not only CLOSE-UP CARD MAGIC, but of four more of my books. Many have told me that they think it is the best buy in magic. Anyway... HL
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2008-07-17 05:04, mrmojorisin wrote:
My problem is, the beginner card tricks in the books I have been learning from are ok, but I've found nothing that really catches my eye (maybe I'm jumping too far ahead of myself).

I have seen the most basic of tricks absolutely floor a spectator with a good presentation. As a relative newbie to good magic myself, I have to say my biggest problem was always looking for the best trick I could have, and never concentrating on being the best magician I could be.

Where I'm going now with my magic is into my presentation and my character. I don't want to be the guy who can do tricks and fancy stuff - I want to be the guy who takes people to a magical place.

I've been playing with a packet trick called Twisted Sisters for some weeks now. I've gone from saying, "And now look at that - and now look at that," and getting polite smiles in response, to slipping into a character (even dressed in my work clothes!) and having people staring at me with their mouths open when I finish. And, not a single sleight!

Magic isn't in the trick, or even in your hands. Magic is what you put into their minds.

Ed
mrmojorisin
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of mrmojorisin
Hey,
Thanks for all your suggestions. They are really, really helpful!
I will try to get my hands on some of Harry's stuff. Also, trying not to be too choosy and work on my act as much as the tricks.

Thanks, guys.
Be lucky!
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
You should have a look at some self-workers, as they are a great way to practice the presentation of a trick without worrying too much about the execution. I use Gemini Twins from the Karl Fulves book quite regularly, and with a good story behind a trick, anything can be very amusing or entertaining or magical depending on how you present it.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
You are falling into the trap of thinking like a magician and not an audience member. I've floored other magicians with an extremely simple, self-working card trick. Once you start performing, you will gain confidence and understand that the way a magician looks at a trick is very different from the way the audience perceives it.
I'd also add my endorsement of any book by Harry Lorayne. I have almost all of his books and have nearly worn some out.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
chefmagic
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of chefmagic
How about Bill Malone's "Sam The Bellhop"? You can use everything you have studied while telling a story. It is a great routine that leaves them baffled if done correct.
Mike

Magic Legacy - Low prices on great magic!
www.magiclegacy.net
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
Royal Road has taught you some moves, i.e. pieces of the puzzle which will enable you to be able to solve magical problems. These potential solutions are now your tools, which you can use to create your own effects. Time to start thinking out of the box. What do you want to do? How do you get there? What tools that you have learned can help you achieve what you desire? Sure, you can buy a DVD and try to copy someone else's work word for word, move by move. But the real joy is taking what you already know and stringing the pieces you have learned into your own presentation.

Go back to Royal Road. Take what you have learned already and mastered, and see if you can create something that is truly unique to you with what you already know. Once you do this, your mind will come up with more ideas. Then, you will need to figure out how to accomplish these new goals, and your books, DVDs, mentors, and other resources can help you to realize your own dreams and visions.

:magicrabbit:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Stuck with routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL