The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Struck Dumb by Fraser Parker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
S T R U C K D U M B
Thou shalt not speak...

Effect/Product: Struck Dumb.

Creator/Performer: Fraser Parker.

Availability: http://www.mobiusmagic.com as an online text, or alternatively you can purchase it directly from Fraser Parker and get it as a booklet. Visit http://www.fraserparker.co.uk for more info on ordering the booklet.

Price: 10 dollars (approx 5 pounds) at mobiusmagic.com, 5 pounds 90 pence (approx 12 dollars) for the booklet.

What is Struck Dumb?:

Imagine that at some point, you suddenly remove someones ability to talk... they are literally speechless, unable to speak at all. You then return this ability to them, returning them to a normal state.

The above is what you'll learn with 'Struck Dumb'.

How does it look/work in performance?:

It's been designed to be performed, interwoven with another effect. So you'll be performing one thing, and at some point you can do 'Struck Dumb', then you can have fun with that and carry on with the other piece whilst the spectator/participant is unable to talk, and then you return their ability to speak.
'Struck Dumb' is taught alongside a card effect, but once you know the workings, you can implement it into basically any performance.
Everything has been carefully thought through so that you can get the best and most out of this piece, whilst not having to worry about failure, and it is really clever how it has been structured and built on.

It looks and feels like the real thing.

So it has to be done amongst another effect?:

Well yes and no, you see, it has to be intergrated with an effect, but then that effect becomes 'Struck Dumb', and so it's not like 2 seperate pieces, but one.
Trust me, this is an extremely clever way of doing things, and allows for the most freedom, whilst being as effective as possible and without the risk of being left with nothing if it fails.

I really like the way it's been designed/put together.

I see you've mentioned a couple of times the word 'failure', so this isn't 100% sure-fire?:

No, this is not something that can be 100% guaranteed to work every single time, but everything's stacked in your favour.
Along with the linguistics and subtleties, careful participant selection will almost make this a definite success, but as ive said, it can never be a sure thing and so the chance of failure will always be looming over.
Of course, as ive mentioned before, failure is not a big worry as you still have the effect you are performing, and then on top of that Fraser covers a few things you can say which sound both true and real, and will make the spectator/participant feel better about themselves.

The success rate is much much higher than the rate of failure from what I have experienced.

So... how difficult is this to perform, sure sounds difficult?:

This is actually extremely easy to perform, though it will work better with a confident performer. The workings are easy and could be picked up by all and put to use without much effort on your part... but done that way, though you may know the workings, you won't be doing the piece, or yourself, justice.
What will take time and practice is gaining the confidence and the ability to project that confidence, and working on the linguistics so they sound right coming from you (voice tone wise, rate at which words are spoken etc).

So easy to learn, but will need to have work put in to become comfortable and confident with it, and confidence is what is needed to get the best out of this piece.

My thoughts:

Well I have always wanted to add this style of work into my repertoire, and though I have pieces of my own that make use of DR etc, always felt cautious as to how effective and deceptive pieces that rely purely on that and the clever use of linguistics are, especially once the effect is over.
I can safely tell you now that any worries I had before are long gone, and now see the true beauty in these pieces. They look so real, and the methods are so pure and direct... it really does look and feel like you really are doing what it is you seem to be doing. I am glad I finally got over whatever worries I had, and can see myself using this a lot. It has become something I will perform whenever I'm out, and it's fun for me, but also a weird and different experience for those taking part and watching. It definitely provides them with something unlike anything they have seen/experienced before.

It's easy to accomplish, deceptive, and clever in it's construction... reasonably priced too. It's not gonna break the bank, but you'll get a lot out of 'Struck Dumb'.

I know there'll be some who feel like I used to, and will dismiss this for those reasons... but if you give it a chance you'll see how effective this really is, and in the moment it's happening, there really isn't anything else quite like it, and that moment is both a strong one, and one they'll remember.

I still don't like the thought of people going away and through talking, the methodology becoming apparent as I feel that then takes away from the magical moment, but sometimes it's worth it, and this is one of those times. Also this has been constructed so well that the participant themselves seem to believe in what has just happened as much as the onlookers, which was a surprise to me, and a very nice one at that, and takes the worry away.
This has happened more times than it hasn't.
Also a far greater number of people will remember and experience it for the weird and magical moment it is, without ever knowing anything more.

I feel like I'm just blabbing on and on now, so I'll stop lol or we'll have page upon page of the same stuff explained with slightly different wording.

Final thought:

I recommend this for sure, if you like how it sounds, and would like to look more into this style of material, well you can't get any better than 'Struck Dumb'.

Excellent stuff, I love it.
FADE
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles,CA
135 Posts

Profile of FADE
Hey Y2John,

I just want to personally thank you for the heads up on this effect. It's definitely piqued my interest- sounds like a keeper. I'll definitely be getting this.

All the best!

David
"Change the way you see things and the things you see will change."
Chanku
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Chanku
Any more reviews on this product?
mentalguy
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of mentalguy
I cannot believe that I paid money for this. I am at a loss for words. After you give the "suggestion," the author admits that he "add(s) a little laughter" to help the suggestion to be "accepted" by the spectator. Laugh, indeed. Am I supposed to take this instruction seriously?

While I have not bought anything else from this creator, I hope that this manuscript does not exemplify the style or content of his other work.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Quote:
On 2009-02-15 21:22, mentalguy wrote:
I cannot believe that I paid money for this. I am at a loss for words. After you give the "suggestion," the author admits that he "add(s) a little laughter" to help the suggestion to be "accepted" by the spectator. Laugh, indeed. Am I supposed to take this instruction seriously?

While I have not bought anything else from this creator, I hope that this manuscript does not exemplify the style or content of his other work.

I guess you've been Struck Dumb.
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
668 Posts

Profile of Alel
Quote:
On 2009-02-15 21:22, mentalguy wrote:

Hi MentalGuy.

I assure you that quite a lot of people thinks differently. Smile

I was fortunate enough to have recieved and read some of Fraser Parker's unpublished works, and I must say that they are exceptional. I think I know why you feel bad about this product, because that is what I thought about Kentonism before I tried some of these kind of stuffs out.

For those familiar with Kentonism and is comfortable with it, I highly reccomend that you pick this up, too.

Though I don't own Struck Dumb, but I am exposed to Fraser Parker's thinking through his other materials, namely Reverse Mind Read, Colour Blind and Strength of Imagination. And I think they are rather brilliant.

My advice: don't close your doors on this at the moment. Maybe time will come you will realize what this approach to mentalism has in store for you. Smile
Fraser Parker
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
280 Posts

Profile of Fraser Parker
Here is the demo video of this working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS55wkAqNiY
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Struck Dumb by Fraser Parker (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL