The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Seance Cloth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doogie1001
View Profile
New user
Newbury, UK
25 Posts

Profile of Doogie1001
Greetings all - your help and suggestions please.

I have the classic seance cloth with standard gimmick.
However after even a very few short months the gimmick is very dirty - the colour from the cloth has come off onto it and stained it.

I have now taken the cloth off its pole to be cleaned to stop this happening any more, but the gimmick is still dirty and blackend which does spoil the illusion somewhat.

Ive tried various cleaning products, some quite harsh, and still no joy. is my gimick ruined? has anyone had the same problem? your suggestion on cleannig welcomed
Paul Howse
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I have my STUFF air brushed.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hey, Paul:

Not sure it's applicable to your bit, but I'm using the "Daylight Seance" method for a new routine in which I'll wear gloves. The gloves have a texture and colour which won't readily show dirt or wear. Of course, my routine involves a "wild animal" named Roxie, and thus the gloves are appropriate; whether this would be a solution in your case I can't say.

FWIW,
Leland
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Get some liquid 'stay on' make-up in your skin colour and rub into the gimmick - you'll need to touch up every few months.

When you wash the cloth, add a cup of salt to the wash to fix the colour.

Destiny
Doogie1001
View Profile
New user
Newbury, UK
25 Posts

Profile of Doogie1001
Ah Ha! Thanks folks - some good tips. I will set to work!
Paul Howse
askernas
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
293 Posts

Profile of askernas
I've been thinking about either making one or buying a good seance cloth...

I've got the gimmick that's discussed above just lying in a box doing nothing.. I figured it's a small step from there to make a decent cloth =O)

Since I have never used one, I don't know how big of an impact it would make on spectators.

Anyone have any input ? =)

thanks,
Micke
Micke Askernäs
www.askernas.com
Doogie1001
View Profile
New user
Newbury, UK
25 Posts

Profile of Doogie1001
Ive only just got mine but used it a few times now - think its great.

I like the gimick as it is not too rigid allowing me to move and wiggle it.. which I don't do the first few times I use the cloth.. then just as people come to the possible conclusion - next time I place the cloth up I delay a litle bit move and wiggle the gimmick, in a natural way of course, and then continue with my tambourines and bells etc.. thus distracting once again from the gimick itself. Even close up, in fairly welt lit conditions the few times I have used it - there were baffled faces all round

I use it as an explanitory, 'Victorians used to use a spirit cloth' and proceed to demo etc.. I don't overplay it, but again leave 'more questions than answers' for my seance sitters.

For the final question mark I 'loose' the gimmick and presnt one of the sitters with the cloth to examine while other examine the bells and tambourine etc leaving myself and 'all' the items they have seen in use completely clean.
Paul Howse
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I've never had anyone suspect it as far as I know - but I don't push my luck - I only use it once in a performance and use the cloth another time without the gimmick.

It really is quite mind boggling though what you can achieve with both hands apparently out of play.

Destiny
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
Several times over teh years, I have been tempted to experiment with one of these, but I've always been worried that it would seem to magicy, or obvious, somehow. But maybe I should reconsider.

R
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
visit www.roryraven.com today!
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I've used it for something as simple as putting my glasses on without making a 'trick' of it - works well.

I understand well what Rory is saying about 'too magicky' - it easily becomes a corny kids trick.

Destiny
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Where is a good source to buy a nice one?
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hey, Rory:

I was REALLY sceptical about using the Daylight Seance bit, and the first time I put it to use I hammed it up, big time. I was using it as an "over the top" gag, or so I thought...especially when the "Spirit Bell" I was using went "out of control" and flew over the top of the cloth.

The audience bought it, hook, line, and sinker. (I was using a TT, rather than a full hand for the gimmick.) I understand your reluctance, and yes, my crowd was primarily composed of "believers" and drunks, but I'd still encourage you to explore its use.

YMMV,
Leland
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Dr Spektor

I bought mine years ago from Derek Rutt in Thailand but I'm sure someone sells just the gimmick.

For bizarre there are options other than the cloth - a framed painting, a large open book, a shroud...

Destiny
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
Leland and Plastic -- I will look into it. Thanks.

R
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
visit www.roryraven.com today!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Seance Cloth (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL