The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Strange Acts at the Convention (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
The recent combined IBM/SAM convention was a lot of fun overall, but some of the acts in the Gala shows left me flat. One act featured a girl with very long hair. She would do a quick change hairdo to impersonate people. A few of the do's worked but there were many that left me wondering who she was trying to impersonate. There also seems to be a trend in using video screens and interacting with the images on the screen. I take nothing away from the time and effort to create an act of this nature. Obviously the performer has but in a lot of time to perfect the act, but is it really considered "magic?"

The close up Gala Show was great but one of the performers has certainly passed his prime. My daughter (a non-magician) mentioned seeing some lapping techniques that were broadcasting where the performer was getting his loads or dropping them off. He exposed some final loads before he was ready to actually produce them for the final effect. He should have someone video tape him so he can see what we see.

I must say meeting some of the biggest names in magic was a thrill and the lectures were very good. I'd love to hear from others who attended and get their view of the convention. Was it too long (6 days)? Was there too much going on or not enough?
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Hi!:
I understand your worry for Roxane's act (the wife of Topas) ... probably it is not an act very indicated for a MAGICIANS' convention, but off that the act is one perfectly tested, synchronized and very well made... THERE IS NO DOUBT OF IT! The gentleman of the handshades is very creative, intelligent and original ... probably it is not a magic of which we see every day, but the act for me, in the personal thing,fascinate myself! As for the show of close up your daughter is very observant, more than I, but actually was a great show for me. Where really I agree is that the convention was very long. It is very true, but of what there is no doubt is that it was a great convention where we could share with many friends in magic and see really professionals(Excellents dealers).
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
klownchuck
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of klownchuck
I (we - my wife and I) went to the convention without the usual "anticipation" because of the length - the untested joint management - and expecting confusion.

NONE of that happened. We both had time to relax, yet we felt we got more than our money's worth and great magic. Yes.. a few odd (I won't call them bad)acts but we enjoyed it all. Watching a bad act offers me the same opportunity to learn from as a good act. Shows incredible, contests incredible, Elvis increadible (you have to have some variety)food for banquet and hotel restaurants incredible, hotdogs at the outdoor stand incredible, management of the whole function incredible , giveaways and program incredible, parking incredible, convenience to shows incredible, show venues and TV incredible... and on and on and on..

We give it a 9.999

You DID ask..

Chuck Lehr
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Ooohh the Hot Dogs at the outdoor!!!!Also the Spaggethi Factory was so good!!!
Follow Me...
klownchuck
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of klownchuck
I can tell you are dedicated.. but.. the Spaghetti Factory had a two hour waiting line.. we went back to the hotel and had a fine meal..
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Yep, I wait maybe an hour,you are right!
Follow Me...
Terry Harris
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Terry Harris
I don't ever want to go to an 8 day convention again. They could have easily done it all in 4 or 5 . It dragged. The hotel had these hidden taxes, parking and charges. My bill was over $1,200.00 don't know how a young magician could afford it
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
Just to clarify, my family and I had a grand time over all. I was expecting a lot going on most of the time and I knew I wouldn't be able to hit every event. That didn't bother me at all. I got to see all of the shows, most of the lectures, and my wife thinks I brought home half of the dealer room products. The banquet was terrific with great food and we met people from around the world. That was really a high point for us. The hotel itself was fantastic, our room was always clean, and we felt that everything for the convention was close at hand.

I don't know when I'll be able to attend another convention, but this was overall, a grand affair that my family will talk about for a long time to come.
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
klownchuck
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of klownchuck
Every city has taxes, upon taxes, upon taxes on their hotels. That is a fact of life no matter what hotel you use. It's not "hidden"..

And.. anytime I can get "covered, convenient, spacious parking in the same building for $9 per day, I will take it!!!

I went to a different convention in Texas a few years back where they were asking $40 per night parking -- and it was not even in the same hotel building.

Chuck
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I don’t mind a few “odd” acts that don’t have much to do with magic. It’s interesting to see.

The idea of offering big money for the competitions was brilliant and these acts turned out to better than many of the paid acts. Many have said the Saturday Night show (the six finalist in the stage competition) was the best. I agree.

I didn’t mind the free time either. I’ve been to conventions that pack the schedule so much that I get exhausted trying to get to all of the events. I’d rather see the organizers put their money into a few good quality lectures and shows. And that they did. The free time also allows for more time in the dealers room. I heard some of the dealers say they were very pleased with business at the convention.

I sympathize with the parking fee. I flew in and didn’t have to worry about that. There was plenty to do within walking distance and didn’t need any transportation once there.

I think the organizers did an excellent job and should be commended.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ken must have a mental act because he told you what I saw too. No doubt about it, many of the competition acts were much superior to the to many of the paid acts. There were also more of them. I have no problem living with that. Lucy and I went to see magic.

(Last night ended Abbott's Get Together for this year and the Asian acts took the honors there for real magic. Grace, elegance and color in many western acts is just not in the same league. Westerners win at humor.)

"None Magic" acts have their place too. While I enjoyed them, I could not vote for them in a magic competition. However, I did see several magic acts that I would not have put into "stage magic" that were.

Magic for television has caused a confusion about what stage magic really is. There were few acts that were true stage acts. (Zoom lenses have no place in stage magic and the need for them even less.) However, they would have been great for television or platform magic. An interesting observation was that the most obvious true stage act did not win but received the most bookings!

There is no questioning the quality of all of the competition acts. All were top notch. Category placement was the only question.

As flying becomes a less reliable method of travel, parking will become a more serious problem. However, we also seldom get 2000 magicians at one address for the week.

Lucy and I think it was still the best magic convention we have ever attended. Do it again!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Ken:
Meet you and your wife in person was a pleasure,but where you are the other convention days?? I like to see you in other time and have more time to talk and have a nice time! Bob, I think its a Great convention too!!!
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I would have liked to see more illusions. And fewer acts that littered the stage with badly produced playing cards. Two manipulators on the same show would have been fine.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dal
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
124 Posts

Profile of Dal
I TOTALLY agree with Bill about the illusions. I miss seeing “furniture acts” at conventions. I understand the expense and the trouble of shipping a large act but this is nothing new. I would have rather seen more from Topas’ act than all the card juggling…or the hair juggling for that matter.

…of course, this is just my opinion.

—Dal Sanders
Dal Sanders International Comedy Magician and Illusionist Based In Dallas, TX

The Society of American Magicians Past National President
M.I.M.C.*
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
I really enjoyed the length of the combined convention. I felt like I had the opportunity to not only enjoy the lectures and shows, but also get some relaxing in as well.

I would have liked to see some more "grander illusions." But I certainly understand that they are expensive to tote around. There were a few too many cards thrown around the stage, poorly. Especially when An Ham Lim was the very first act on the very first day and he did it all so amazingly. I hate to be so blunt, but I found the hair configuration act to be inane and banal, as did my surrounding seat mates. I don't mind have creative and non-magic acts at a "Magic Show" for entertainment, but that act needs to go back to the drawing board.
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
Roxanne's act is well-received here in Europe... It's a whole different ballgame, so to speak. Granted, while it isn't magic--something she is very accomplished at--it is extremely unique. I have seen it several times and still enjoy it. Perhaps, it's a female thing? I do understand that it might not appeal to some people though.

The shows she and Topas do are about as good as they come and they are 2 of the friendliest people in magic. It's a pity that shipping costs are so high. Also, as part of gala you don't get a lot of time. If you ever to get to see their full show--a new one debuts late November, do so. You will not be disappointed. Smile

There were a few dreadful acts, but I'll leave that alone...
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Also many people take very literally the phrase of " Its all about the Magic ". Many people do not enjoy Roxane's act and the one of the gentleman of the Chinese shadows (That to my in the particular thing seemed to me to be brilliant)...
possibly and with the due respect the act that don't pleased me was to see Duane Laflin playing the role of Elvis ... if we are speaking about the convention of the century.... I was waiting for other kind of show. Sincerely in the banquet to the food and the music and A but to the show...
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
sly2272
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of sly2272
Was there any large Illusions in the competition acts, if so can anyone give details of the act. And who they where.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I enjoy Jason Bishop's Op Art!
Follow Me...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Strange Acts at the Convention (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL