The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Ignitor switch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sebastian Hunt
View Profile
New user
UK
3 Posts

Profile of Sebastian Hunt
Hi all. I have just taken delivery of the Jim Pace Igniter, and there are a couple of points which I wonder if anyone else has experienced.

1st, the metal of the pressure switch gets too hot to keep depressed with a bare thumb before the 'business end' is hot enough to light the flash paper.
2nd, if I hold the switch down with something else it takes about 5 seconds for the paper to catch. I imagined it would be quicker. I have tried a fresh battery.

Is this just part of the design or have I got a duff one? If it's the former I will just add some tape or something to the switch before I cook my thumb...
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
You are absolutely right. The energy should go into the ignitor and not into the switch. Replace that two blank metal strips by a real switch. Any electronic supplier can deliver a good push button switch. If you send me a PM with a photo, I could send you some suggestions of switches available in the UK. (I do not have a Jim Pace Igniter, so I would need a photo.)
Sebastian Hunt
View Profile
New user
UK
3 Posts

Interesting - photo sent to you in a PM.

Does anyone have one of these items? Is this normal?
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
I have seen the photo and was shocked. Pyrotechnics is a safety relevant business. A switch should be a switch and not an unisolated strip of metal. When such a device will cause any accident, no judge will accept this device as a professional and safe device. In the European Union the manufacturer and/ or the importer will then have a serious problem. There are European standards for safety and they demand a switch for firing pyrotechnics. Only because it is a handheld device a single switch is allowed! When this switch is a push button switch it must be secured against unwanted operating; this can be done by a collar around the push button.

Dear Sebastian Hunt, you have bought this item. So you know how it works. The same function can be achieved by better materials and better tooling - then it will be safe and will work better. Anyone who knows a little bit of electronics could help you building something better. You can also go into an shpo selling electronics and ask the clerks for help. They do have switches, battery housings and anything else you need (mention the words nichrome wire). I will send an electric wiring diagram to you within the next days.
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Hi Sebastion,
I really do not know much about electricity. I only know what I have read and tested so the thread about using a proper switch is true and as I see it a switch is an insulator so you do not burn your finger when current goes through the system. If you have enough amps in your battery the current will move too fast and send it to the final destination without heating up.

Two things...
Duracell or Energizer batteries. Any other battery will make that switch warm up.

Judging from the picture I am guessing that your coil is getting hot so I know that it is not shorting out. If there was... the switch would get hot very quickly and the coil would not get warm at all.

That said Sebastion I have had the Ignitor made overseas now and have actually placed a micro switch onto the device.
If you will give me your address then I will send you the newer version. It will only cost you the postage to send it.

Kind regards
Jim
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
Sebastian Hunt
View Profile
New user
UK
3 Posts

You're a Gentleman. Thanks for the info and see PM for address...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Ignitor switch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL