The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » U.S.P.S. Gypsy Witch Fortune Playing Cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I was going through some old boxes and came across this deck of cards. it is a box that has a brown felt covered lid with gold lettering. I can assume that these were probably made in the late 90's?
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
They're a bit older than that. I bought a deck around 1974 or so. Unless you meant that specific printing, then I have no idea. Mine came in an orange box with a black witch and cauldron (I think?) on it.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
The page on the USPC site for their history tells that the Ace of Spades has a code on it that identifies the year of manufacture (not the 808 or 606 which are more like 'model numbers')
My guess is you can contact them with a scan of a few relevant cards and description of the box. They might be able to tell you the year.
Oh...is there a UPC bar code on the box bottom? and does the company address have a Zip code, on the box side?
These are dateable markings in products. Zip codes called for in 1963, Bar codes generally used commercially in the 1980's.
The only other thing I can think of is they might be a special anniversary edition from the sound of the box, the original was I think copyright in 1903, or thereabouts, so it could have been a 50 year or 100 year special thing.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
My ace of spades doesn't have a 808 or 606. the box doesn't have a UPC bar code anywhere on the box either. actually, the bottom of the box has a queen of spades glued to the bottom....weird!
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Any chance you could take a picture and post it on imageshack so we could take a look?

sounds cool though.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Might be time to send them a letter or e-mail with a photo and ask if it was a special edition or what!
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Gypsy Witch cards are not uncommon. However, they may still be proteced by trademark law, which has some interesting aspects.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
"Gypsy Witch celebrated FORTUNE TELLING cards by Madame Lenormand, copyrighted 1903 by Frederick J. Drake Co., first published by Home Game Co., in 1904. This deck has been published continuously and is currently being made by U. S. Playing Card Co., using the same faces. The recent edition has a witch on the backs replacing the original river scene."

This is from a page I googled-
http://www.guntheranderson.com/cards/feb97/gypsy.htm

Mike
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Yep, I'll take some pics of them soon for ya'll to look at. I've seen that pic Michael and my case looks completely different. in fact, it feels like its made of felt or something...and it's dark brown. pics coming soon!
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Lunatik,

It sounds like you may have an older deck. I have one of the first ones - a 105 year old pack of antique GW cards that came in their original cloth two piece box, faded gold lettering, crimson red cards. They're beautiful and store up nicely with my 'Witches Almanac' for active use.

Found them in a box you say?

-JF
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Keep in mind the ORIGINAL Lenormand decks were geared to present a reading toward the 'negative' (gloomy) so when using Gypsy Witch today you might want to slant a bit more positive. (or not)

The Negative readings were what brought the sitter back for anoher go round at a tidy sum...so negative was prefered by the workers.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
julieannjohnson
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of julieannjohnson
Doug Higley is correct -- the GW is spectacularly negative. It was favoured in my youth by the candle-scam artists and it can be used to spook young women to tears. It is the opposite of today's New Age tarot in which certain of the "darker" cards never make it onto the table. Use with caution.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I've 2 sets of the original 1903 decks with red backs.
I use those in my Coney Island story. Here the original edition. Blue back comes later (in the early 40's I think, maybe a little sooner).

illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
NYC
752 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
About a month ago I shot Christian from Card-Shark a PM recommending he maybe consider doing a run of similar cards sometime in the future.

I think it'd be a swell idea. Don't know if there would be much of a market though? Smile
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Here's a pic of the deck I have. it feels like it has a felt covering

Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
Looks a little "Art Deco" to me...

That probably puts them post 1925 or so.
JoeBlack
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of JoeBlack
Lunatik according to The Encyclopedia of American Playing Cards:

"Gypsy Witch celebrated FORTUNE TELLING cards by Madame Lenormand, copyrighted 1903 by Frederick J. Drake Co., first published by Home Game Co., in 1904. This deck has been published continuously and is currently being made by U. S. Playing Card Co., using the same faces. The recent edition has a witch on the backs replacing the original river scene."

Those you got must be really old, the newer decks have a completely different box art.

Pretty cool deck you got there, there are some on the big auction site if anyone is interested.
Robin DeWitt
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Robin DeWitt
I would be willing to bet that if one was to contact US Games, http://www.usgamesinc.com/ and ask, they would be able and agreeable to help in research. They have always been amiable with me.
I am the fakir, you....
<BR>Robin DeWitt
ico
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
109 Posts

Profile of ico
Quote:
On 2008-08-10 05:37, kaytracy wrote:
The page on the USPC site for their history tells that the Ace of Spades has a code on it that identifies the year of manufacture (not the 808 or 606 which are more like 'model numbers')
My guess is you can contact them with a scan of a few relevant cards and description of the box. They might be able to tell you the year.
Oh...is there a UPC bar code on the box bottom? and does the company address have a Zip code, on the box side?
These are dateable markings in products. Zip codes called for in 1963, Bar codes generally used commercially in the 1980's.
The only other thing I can think of is they might be a special anniversary edition from the sound of the box, the original was I think copyright in 1903, or thereabouts, so it could have been a 50 year or 100 year special thing.
k

--> http://www.cypressfilms.com/Bicycle/USPC......des.html

unfortunately according to the interwebs, Gypsy Witch cards are published by the US Games Co, not USPC...
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2009-11-07 20:00, JoeBlack wrote:
Lunatik according to The Encyclopedia of American Playing Cards:

"..., copyrighted 1903 by Frederick J. Drake Co....

The same era and publisher as Erdnase's Expert at the card table.

My guess for those cards are the 40's/50's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » U.S.P.S. Gypsy Witch Fortune Playing Cards? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL