The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Plastic spoon bending? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic924
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magic924
I'm looking for a plastic fork bending routine. I found PK Spoon but they sell refill kits which makes me not so crazy about it. Has anyone tried PK Spoon? or do you know of any other plastic spoon bends?
mattcramer.com
buildupmusclefast.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I would stick to the metal.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I agree, all garbage I have seen. When asked to bend plastic, tell them the truth, they break.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Not to be different but...

If I happen to know there is going to be plastic cutlery at an event I will be at, I use Kuffs' method to bend it. It's in his metal bending video. It's nothing extraordinary, btw, but due to the inherent nature of plastic cutlery, it has a distinctly different and more direct impact that metal bending, in my experience.

Of course, it is with a spoon and different issues may arise with a fork.

Candin, have you actually performed any bending of plastic cutlery or is garbage and opinion not backed up by any actual performances? I am NOT being rude, I just tend not to trust anybody's opinion without knowing that these days.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I was given plastic cuttery bending material items. I will just say it isn't for me The ones I have seen involve introducting another gimmick. I have Kuffs video but do not recall seeing the plastic bending on there. His metal bending must have overshadowed it, great stuff on there. I must have overlooked the plastic.

Garbage I shouldn't have said but if you have any footage from anyone performing plastic cuttery bends (non demo) please advise.

I perfer to stick to metal. JMO
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Chris K
That's absolutely fair and thanks for responding. Like I said, I wasn't being rude I just have... more stringent personal requirements regarding evaluations these days. Comes from asking people who give "10/10" reviews if they ever performed and, 90% of the time, they haven't.

I agree with your assessment of the Kuffs' video, great stuff. As I said, the plastic cutlery bending isn't extraordinary, and not for everybody, but I have had good success with it. I happen to agree that using metal is still MUCH preferred but, in the real world, sometimes that isn't going to be a viable option.

One example:

At a company party (BBQ with plastic utensils) a paid performer insisted on bending silverware (metal). When asked where he got the metal silverware, he said he brought it. You could literally see the entire group sag and immediately lose interest.

So, I'd be curious as to what exactly everybody means when they say to stick to metal. Bring your own? Not do any bending at all? I'd think bending plastic cutlery is superior to either of those choices. As such, I guess I disagree with Dynamike's rather vague and unhelpful comment. Just IMHO.

Lem
askernas
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
293 Posts

Profile of askernas
I'm always bringing metal cutlery... I've worked dinners where coffee spoons have been of an unbendable kind, and have been known to replace the spoons on several tables close to the stage prior to guests arriving.

Of course they never notice that they don't have the same spoons as another table, and they are not gimmicked in any way, just possible to bend, and not expensive silverware Smile

If I'd be working someplace where plastic silverware is being used, I'd do some key bending or something similar instead.
Micke Askernäs
www.askernas.com
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Paul Kuffs has one on his bending DVD
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
magic924
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magic924
Here's the video that I liked it's the "PK Spoon"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uifpoDxflUA&feature=related

I wondered if they were gimmicked spoons or just using a gimmick. If it's a gimmicked spoon then that's not really something I'm interested in. However if it is a gimmick that you can use with any plastic spoon, well that would be impressive.

I ask because I have bent enough of the forks in spoons in the community college Caféteria that I go to that they recently switched to plastic. I don't know that it's because of me but I know that it was shortly after I went a lot of silverware. either way sometimes it would just be nice to bend a plastic spoon if that's all you got.
mattcramer.com
buildupmusclefast.com
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Excellent point, askernas.

Key bending, coin bending, etc. can still all be accomplished. I'll let more information loose than I was initially going to. In the instances where I have used the Kuffs "approach" (more apt that Kuffs Method I think), I make it the audience's idea. You know, the whole "Well, can you do this...?" approach?

If they don't ask, I might do it, or I might not, I won't try to cram it in in any case.

It's the same for me as the quarter bend from "Ah-Ha" (Anderson & Harkey). If I know I will be having breakfast with a group, I go prepared. If somebody asks me to do something, I'll do that (people who have Ah-Ha know what I mean). If I don't, I'm still set to do Psyche (or any other bend) and I can ditch the "extra part".

For reference, somebody else has a quote about the coin effect from Ah-Ha here (and other places), just so nobody has to ask: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

The ad text is as follows: Drop a borrowed coin into your drink, bringing the liquid to a boiling froth, then spoon out the coin, bent like a used bottle cap.

In any case, the point is that preparation and an understanding of how the audience responds (based on previous performances and forward thinking) can allow you to totally set them up. As obviously most people don't do the plastic cutlery bend, I personally think it's a nice tool to have.

Again, just me, and I'll be quiet on the topic now, don't want to monopolize the conversation.

Lem

PS- Magic294, you've been damaging other people's property. That is totally irresponsible and raises prices for everybody. I can't believe you don't go to bed at night utterly ashamed of yourself. You are giving us all a bad name, please give some thought to the consideration of others in the future.
magic924
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magic924
Michigans economy is awfull lets face it. Me ruining a few pieces of silverware means that the community college I go to may have to purchase a new set of forks. One box of forks for 8 dollars is no where near the $20 dollars they give me for a book at the end of the year only to re-sell it for $100 in the next semester. I figure they go out and spend some of that extra cash from my books at Sams club then they just bough something and helped the economy.

The justification is purely me sitting here with too much time on my hands but none the less I'll stick by and watch people take it seriously.

PS - if you think I was bad with the metal forks that's nothing, I throw the plastic ones in the trash. I don't even give them a chance to re-use them
mattcramer.com
buildupmusclefast.com
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I think spoon/fork metal bending is played out. Bend things that don't seem like they can be bent. Pencils, plastic silverware, etc...drawing a blank for some reason, maybe Uri is blocking my thoughts.

Nathan
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Chris K
I've heard that before, Nathan. In fact, I put my silverware away for quite a while. However I later found that it is more played out in our field (that is, mentalist on mentalist action and DVDs/books/ebooks/instant downloads).

With that being said, I am utterly opposed to taking a bunch of silverware with you someplace. Either you set things up ahead of time or you take some other route (you do NOT destroy other people's property without permission).

With all that being said, silverware bending is a lead in to bending of other things, most often keys and coins (people just don't carry nails around any more, go figure, and railroad spikes... fuggedaboutit). It's all about escalation. That isn't to say that I won't go straight into keys or coins if the situation calls for it (see my comment about the Ah-Ha coin bend).

Good discussion.

magic924, please tell me you are taking something other than business classes. To make the argument that you get the short end of the stick on books so you can bend all the silverware you want shows an incomplete understanding of basic economics. But, for the moment, let's take your approach, just for argument's sake. I'll counter your argument by saying the reason that you get less money for your book is all the people bending silverware and performing other defacements of college property such as graffiti. But, let's be honest here, you are revelling in being a detriment to the college as a whole, rational arguments aren't going to sway you.

I wonder if you treat magic with the same lack of respect. Perhaps you are somebody who rips DVDs and sells them with the argument that they are overpriced? Methinks this is the case and I will do nothing to ever help you again.

Thanks for being honest in your utter disregard for others though.

Lem
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I purchased Werry's plastic spoon bending trick and one refill. I used it once. It's not impressive. The visual bend is cool, but if you do the metal bending routine right, they think they see it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Plastic spoon bending? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL