The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Reel Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
Just played the August '08 issue of Reel Magic. I generally enjoy these DVDs, including Simon Lovell's sometimes forced "rants." Maybe I've just become too much of a fuddy duddy, but I was offended by his reference to Nazi Germany when he used the expression "cooking with gas." Am I the only one?
L. Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I haven't seen it yet, but Simon is as not only a good hearted fellow, but gentle as a lamb with no malice toward anyone.

I'm sure Simon used it merely as an expression. "cooking with gas" is one I use all the time. It's an old expression that pre-dates WWII. Gas is faster, cleaner and cheaper.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Bball5630
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Bball5630
So besides that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Doh!!

I mean, besides that, snushy, how was the Reel Magic DVD?
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
The Reel Magic DVD was excellent. And I typically like Simon. As a matter of fact, when my best friend got married (for the 2nd time) in 2001, I (best man) brought the guys to Monday Night Magic specifically to see Simon. He didn't disappoint.
I, too, use the expression "cooking with gas" and I understand its meaning. Not really the point.
I'm also a huge Mel Brooks fan. I'm quite certain he wouldn't see the humor here. He has enough subtlety to poke fun at the Nazi regime without crossing the line of offending Holocaust survivors.
There's being edgy, and there's being an ass.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-08-18 19:21, snushy wrote:

So which, are you suggesting, Simon was being?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-08-18 19:21, snushy wrote:
The Reel Magic DVD was excellent. And I typically like Simon. As a matter of fact, when my best friend got married (for the 2nd time) in 2001, I (best man) brought the guys to Monday Night Magic specifically to see Simon. He didn't disappoint.
I, too, use the expression "cooking with gas" and I understand its meaning. Not really the point.
I'm also a huge Mel Brooks fan. I'm quite certain he wouldn't see the humor here. He has enough subtlety to poke fun at the Nazi regime without crossing the line of offending Holocaust survivors.

It is only your opinion that Mel Brooks didn't cross the line. I know folks that had relatives murdered in the Holocaust that don't think Brooks should be making people laugh at the Nazi's, even though Brooks himself HATES the Nazi's.

Anyone, can find anything, to be offended about. What you think is edgy, others think is an abomination.

People find things funny, unless it's personal to them. Someone slips on a bannana, people laugh. Someone's grandmother slips on the banana, it's a tragedy.

Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
The great thing about Simon is, he's calls 'em like he sees 'em. I'm Jewish and wasn't particularly offended. But then, I have pretty thick skin. But then, I think people in general have been far too sensitive about being offensive and offended.
What would Wavy do?
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
Jstone, I think it's pretty clear I think Simon was being an ass.
Chris, are you suggesting that it's never possible for anyone to cross the line?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-08-19 07:20, snushy wrote:
Jstone, I think it's pretty clear I think Simon was being an ass.
Chris, are you suggesting that it's never possible for anyone to cross the line?

Well, who decides where the line is to cross? I'm saying anyone can be offended by anything. I've told this before, but I once was performing for a table and as I took my glasses out I said "I'm blind without these" and a lady was offended because her sister was blind.

jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
AHH! Mine's still in the mail, I want it to come!
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Wow!

Look guys no offence was meant to anybody. It wasn't even a planned line (I don't script the rants at all) but a simple little ad-lib that just popped into my brain.

I certainly don't think it crossed any lines at all but if it offended anybody I'm big enough to apologize to them.

All the best to all,

Simon
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
Thanks Simon.
Very classy of you.
Cheers
L. Zaslow
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Way to stand your ground Zaslow. You offended me, I am waiting my apology.
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
Brave words, bravely spoken, MagicSanta.
The man apologized. Takes character to do that. Clearly a quality you don't share with Simon.
Oh, and I'd imagine my take is just about as valid as yours. To paraphrase you, who cares what your "general view" is?
Zaslow
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
So you won't apologize for offending me? How rude. Interesting, first you act as if Simon is a Nazi now you speak if his class and character.... I've never questions his class or character. Now where is my apology for my perception of being offended?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Reel Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL