The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Script Writing Part Three. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I'm here to ask for Help on Writing a Script. My writing and English is hardly any good. I can come up with some ideas as what I want to say, but I found out that I have to say them in my character. I never had a character voice before. I Dress up in a Tux with Tails this is my character. Any help or ideals here. Don,
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
We don't really have a whole lot of great literature out there on developing performing characters. We can borrow from traditional drama, but unfortunately, a true exploration of character involves a study of the evolution of character, and that sort of thing is 99.9% of the time just too convoluted to have in a magic show. Usually what we consider to be a great character, in magic would never rise above a supporting character in a traditional drama. Still, we can at least start with that...

re: tux and tails

An outfit doesn't exactly define character. Yeah, it can give some clues, but usually it goes deeper.

Start instead with the choice of the clothes. Why does your character wear a tux with tails? Why does he not wear something a little less formal?

Move onto characteristics...
Are you happy? Funny? Sly? Overbearing? Sarcastic? Mysterious?
Add depth. Why does your character have these characteristics?

Move onto your relationship with magic...
Does your character present magic as if it exists? Does he do tricks? Does he try to fool the audience? Does he try to convince the audience? Is magic more or less important than the stories the magic is used to tell? Does he do clearly impossible things (magic)? Or does he do things that one might consider plausible (mentalism)? Does he borrow from real world ideas about magic?

Incorporate Whit Haydn's ideas regarding the "ghost story".
What story do you want people to have about their interaction with you after the show's over? How can you choose the effects and presentations to build that story?

That's a start.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Well said, I'm afraid I have little to add to that.

This doesn't look like an awful place for continuing education. Creative writing seems to be where you are lacking here. Great ideas are pretty useless if you can't record them somehow.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On 2008-08-22 19:29, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
We don't really have a whole lot of great literature out there on developing performing characters.

Actually there is. My book Theatrical Magic includes the 12 Step Program to creating a character. It alone is worth the $45 cover price, but there is far more to learn about motivation, how to customize magic for a character and of course, examples on how to effectively script the magic, verbally and non-verbally. And yes, you can order it on my website.

Donster, you keep asking for help, but do very little to actually get it. I've told you what to do if you really want help... I charge only a nominal fee for consultation.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Big Daddy I'm not Actully Interested in Hiring any More. I've already hired two people and both bailed on me. One was a script writer who said that they could do it, and I agreed to pay $75.00 for the first script. I tried contacting the person a few weeks after and asked how the script was coming along and I heard nothing from them. It would be nice if people followed through what they said that they were going to be doing especially if one is being hired. All I need right now is a very quick and short introduction to what I'm going to be doing. I was told to do it in my character voice, but I'm not sure what my voice is for my character plus I basically only perform once a year.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Don,

If you answer the questions in the post I made earlier, I'll offer whatever advice I can. Granted, I don't have a book published or anything, but I've got a background in drama and character study, and people have told me I'm pretty good at it (and by people, I mean award-winning fiction-writing people). If you try to do your part, I'll try to do mine.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Donster,
Besides my book, there are a few others I would recommend to give you great examples of how to write scripts for magic. 1) Scripting Magic 2) Magic & Meaning, & 3) Magic for Dummies - seriously, some really great scripts and presentational tips in this. A hidden gem...
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Get in car
or go to let fingers do walking to Amazon.com

when there - start search for "dramatic writing for theater or screen"

come back when your character has some base motivations, a history, some idea of what they want from the audience.

Then we can discuss how your character relates to the magic and how they can get their magical intents communicated to the audience.

Waddayousay?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Johnathon,
I totally agree with you, but I don't think Donster is there yet. I think he really needs to see how all that stuff immediately connects with magic. Once he gets a taste, then head over to Borders Books - they have one of the best sections on theater literature.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
All I'm looking to do here is just a few ideals on how to. come up with a few ideals on how to introduce something.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Donster,

What tricks do you currently do? What is your presentation for those tricks?

The more specific detail you can offer, the better.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Yes. More details. I think we are willing to help, but you've got help us with more details.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Basically I'm into escapes strait jacket mail bag totally different then the rod version. backpack escape and suffocation. I have no presentation for these just get up on stage when ever I do which is very rarely.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Script Writing Part Three. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL