The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Rod Through Body (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I just acquired a Rod Through Body Illusion from an estate sale. It is nicely made and in very good condition.

This Illusion is described in the book, "Stage Illusions for the 1, 2, or 3 Performer Show", by Burling Hull.

Has anyone here ever used one of these before? If so, do you have any thoughts on its use?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Do you have a pic of this illusion. I might of seen a magician do this one already. PM me
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I don't have any photos, as I just got the thing Friday.

For lack of a better description, It looks very similar in construction to the Sword Through Neck (hinged stocks surround the body at about waist level). The stocks are about 30" square and about 3" thick.

Main differences... These stocks are mounted on two upright steel posts, which screw to a base, which is little more than a flat, square-shaped board on casters. The base is about the same dimensions as the stocks, but only about 1.5" thick

Also, the method is different than the Sword Through Neck. The rod really is solid.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
I have that book and have toyed around the idea with building one. How do you like the effect? What do you like and dislike about it? How heavy is it? Is there any way you could take a few pics and send them over to me? Id love to see a real one before I build it.

Chris
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I bought this because the effect had intrigued me since I got the book 30 something years ago. I also got a deal I could not pass up. I have had it in my possession for a bit less than two weeks. I have not done anything with it yet. Too many other things going on in my workshop right now.

Likes and dislikes will be based upon my good or bad attempts to routine it into something. As it stands, the prop works fine, is easy and quick to set up, dismantles to a very manageable size for transport and storage, and looks good. No real dislikes at this point.

I have simply stored it away until such time that I have a logical reason to drag it out and start working with it. Therefore, no photos at this time. But, it is precisely as the book's illustrations show, with the addition of the base, which the book doesn't show, but adequately describes. I haven't weighed it on a scale, but it doesn't weigh a lot.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
It looks like its a very nice prob. Off the top of your head can you give me a ballpark of how much you think it would cost me if I were to build one? I have never built illusions before and this would be my first attempt./ If you have no idea don't worry about it. Also If I have never built an illusion before do you think this is a good first project?
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Michael, check my PM, I've got a sort of gift for ya!
I gave your presentation some thought...

Walt
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You rock, Walt! That was cool!!

Chris,

I'd estimate $250. or less.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Thanks a lot sir I am going tomorrow to Home depot with book in hang and picking up what I can.
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Rod Through Body (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL