The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Olympic Opening ceremonies/closing ceremonies. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I think I liked the opening ceremonies better? Last night was good but it seemed a little something was missing; I can't quite put my finger on it?
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
The anticipation of two weeks of non stop sports?
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I don't think anything was missing..it was something really BAD was added...the UK jumped the shark big time and came off tawdry at best. A horible screechy singer chick (Arrrrgggggg) and Paige looked 'planted' or should have been. And THAT Mayor! Was that Homer Simpson personified? Amid all the perfection here comes a gallumping ill fitting suit, jacket open, hands in pockets. Schlumph!

After the Chinese efforts, London better push the sports angle.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Oh man, that London thing was really bad. Page looked different from when I saw him in the Garden in the seventies...lol
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
What I saw of the closing ceremony I mostly enjoyed, but I only watched a little of it. I understand many of the pop singers who took part in it are quite famous in Asia ... only wish I knew who some of them were.

Anyway, I think it would have been next to impossible for it to outdo the opening ceremonies.

And I also thought the London bit was weak.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
296 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
I personally found the closing ceremonies a bit more entertaining than the opening. Can't quite place my finger on it, guess I just found the opening a bit drawn out.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
When is someone going to point out to the organisers of these extravaganzas that an entertainment, no matter how grand, should not need commentary?

Indeed it is no longer commentary that we get, but explanation - without which we wouldn't have a clue what was going on.

I assume commentary was originally in there so that viewers in different countries had a local connection through their own nationals comments, but it's made the writers very lazy.

Destiny
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
You're so right Destiny. I loved the moment when the "athletes" boarded the stairs after saying goodbye and then looked up at the flame, remembering the games. An announcer said, "Of course, those aren't atheletes, just actors that symbolize the athletes. WHO CARES! It's a beautiful moment. I love to hear this guy's take on a magic show. "Now, the girl wasn't really sawed in half, but it was just an illusion."

I didn't think the London portion was too bad, but it was a bit campy after all the grand extravagance of China.
magicwhiz
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of magicwhiz
I miss the Olympics!
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Patience is a virtue.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
There was a lot of hullaballoo about lip-synching and CGI fireworks at the Opening Games.

Did anyone catch this (you can google for the full story):

1:35pm UK, Friday August 29, 2008

The Sydney Symphony Orchestra has revealed its performance during the 2000 Olympic Games opening ceremony was mimed.

It comes a fortnight after China admitted parts of the Beijing Games opener was faked.

Orchestra officials in Sydney conceded that their performance at the 2000 opening ceremony was entirely pre-recorded.

In a further blow to Sydney-siders' sensibilities, some of the music was even recorded by the orchestra of its rival city - Melbourne.

"It was all pre-recorded and the MSO (Melbourne Symphony Orchestra) did record a minority of the music that was performed," Sydney Symphony Orchestra managing director Libby Christie told the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper.

"It's correct that we were basically miming to a pre-recording."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Shame we didn't find a better looking orchestra then.

Destiny
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Olympic Opening ceremonies/closing ceremonies. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL