The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » What size? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
A Foxx in Her Soxx has...
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
Hey, just out of curiosity...
What size can you be and still be a box jumper? I'm 5'7" for example... could I still do it? At that height, what would my build have to be in order to make it work? I know it would depend on the illusion and how it was built, but generally speaking, would I be able to be one?
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Sure, why not. Many illusions are fabricated to the height and weight of the assistant. A friend has a "cutting in sixths" illusion which will fit a 6', 170 pound man.

Jim
mgcmal
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of mgcmal
As a professional Male "Box Jumper" and I can tell you that it can be quite challenging. I'm 5'9 and 175lbs. I fit in some standard illusions, but most of them are very difficult. We had to have the Twister redesigned to accomodate the size. Bigger is not always deceptive. It took me almost a year to fit into a Chalet Blamo Box, and I still shock Magicians when they see what I have to do to get into the Origami. Being bigger just means you need to be more creative and willing to go the extra mile. Work closely with a good Illusion Builder and you should be able to come up with some good effects. Good Luck.
SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
Quote:
On 2008-08-27 14:45, jimhlou wrote:
Sure, why not. Many illusions are fabricated to the height and weight of the assistant. A friend has a "cutting in sixths" illusion which will fit a 6', 170 pound man.

Jim

Oh. Kay. I'm much smaller than that at least!
Next question is... just how flexible do you have to be? Cause I'm not a contortionist or anything. I'm thinking it would be a fun job tho, a good experience, and I'm sure I'd learn a lot along the way. If I could fit.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I have 2 girls I use on occasion that are both a touch over 6' tall and play collage basketball. They can fit in the Palaquin, Assistants revenge, and that special part of the cane box routine. How ever, there's no way they'll fit in the Doll house, Zig Zag or the Temple of Banares, the girls I use for those are around 5'6". So, basically, Silverfoxx, you would have no problem with the illusions I have.
Bob.
SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
Thanks you guys! Smile Now I just need to find someone who needs a box jumper, and see if it might work out... could be fun... Smile
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
In general, box illusions are more about the perceived height of the assistant. A short assistant with long legs will appear to be taller than one of the same height with a longer torso. The whole idea is to make it appear impossible that such a tall person could squeeze into such a short space. As stated above, the box can be scaled to fit the assistant and the effect will still work, as long as you maintain the appearance that they could no way fit into it.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
Hi,

I am about 110 lbs and 5'7-5'8 and I have a lot of trouble fitting into illusions. Without shoes on, I just barely can't get it. But, I am also not the most flexible girl in the world. However, I have friends who are much shorter and not more flexible and they can just squeeze in no problem.

Alexa
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
I had my zig zag made to fit a 5'6 - 5'10 person. The builder can take measurements before building if you tell him the average size of your assistants.
SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
Kay so, apparently I'll fit in length wise, what weight would I have to be under/ how flexible would I have to be? Basically, I'm interested in learning to be a box jumper... so any pointers you guys have in that arena would be great. What kind of training/ background would I need, how would I get in touch with someone who needed one, how long would it take to train me, etc?
mgcmal
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of mgcmal
If you currently have a normal job right now...KEEP IT. I don't think I have met anyone who has become a box jumper on purpose. "Most" box jumpers have a dancers background, and that's how they get roped into doing it, or you could marry a magician. That's a quick way in. I'm just being light hearted, I wish you the best.
smagic
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of smagic
Hey, I am 5'9 and I can fit into almost anything. I help my grandfather when with his illusions when I am not performing on my own. I can do the zig zag, blamo, temple of Banares, buddha torture tube, etc...Being a box jumper doesn't necessarily depend on your size, it depends on how well you can manipulate your body to fit into the illusions.

Some pointers that I have would be to take some dance classes to help with being graceful on stage. A way to find a magician in need of an assistant is to contact local magicians. I don't know if you have any magic rings or assembly's around your area, but if you do, you might try attending one and talking to the people there.
The amount of training you will need depends on what the magician would need you to do. And it would depend on how quickly you learn.
I guess you need to be as flexible as possible, depending on the illusion. Some illusions you just have to know how to position yourself, so flexibility won't be too much of a problem.
Good luck

~SR
SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
Thanks Smile
I actually started this thread a while ago and have gotten some pretty interesting responses and tips. STILL haven't made it into a box yet, but have some other things in the fire that may be promising. I'll make it into a box eventually! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » What size? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL