The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Readings with a Sherlock Holmes slant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
702 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
I was wondering if anyone else has had the thought or wish to give a reading cold or otherwise dressing it with a Sherlock Holmes type slant?

Rather than the usual psychic readings I was hoping to give just one or two intuitive remarks of the kind Holmes would have made.

Something like: Did you enjoy your recent holiday? Of course this is all well and good if you can see they have some resemblance of a suntan, but you never know it could have come from a sun bed or spray on. You get the idea.

I seems to be chasing my tail with this, so I would appreciate it if anyone has any thoughts or ideas? PM me if you wish.

Many thanks

Franklin
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Franklin: I think Derren Brown had a likewise angle...

Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
702 Posts

Could you elaborate Andy this escapes me?
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
I present MUCH of my material in this manner. While not not mentioning Sherlock, of course, I try to give off the air of at least being able to replicate his intuitive prowess. I work in law enforcement so it is a perfect manner of presentation for me.

I never make any claims of being psychic at all. In fact, I often disdain any such suggestions, if mentioned, and present effects with the attitude of "I have no idea how these cool things happen around me...they just do!" However, if they plant the seed THEMSELVES that I have an uncanny ability to infuence their actions or pick up on certain subtle clues then I certainly don't argue!

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
If you get a chance in the UK, go and see the Sherlock Holmes monologues with Roger Llewellyn.

Should give you lots of food for thought.

Q. What impression are you tring to give? Do you wish to explicetly mention his name. Sounds quite a challenge...

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Hi Franklin mate, hope you are well.

I was doing a meeting with a journalist yesterday and did this exact thing. Talked about how her shoes, the laces in those shoes and the matching socks told me certain things about her. That kind of thing. I think its a really great way to present readings especially if you are using some observation as well as cold reading - thus if you come across a skeptic who calls you on it then you have absolutely nothing to hide, you're merely doing this as a demonstration of your skill-set.

Ken
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Franklin, sorry for the poor response last night I was in a rush.

Check out the earlier DB stuff.. I think on his first DVD thier is a few demonstrations of this kind of "reading" where DB is telling strangers what they do for a living and what thier dream job would be. It's even introduced with the voice over quoting Holmes from "study in scarlet"

"By a man's finger nails, by his coat-sleeve, by his boot, by his trouser knees, by the callosities of his forefinger and thumb, by his expression, by his shirt cuffs -- by each of these things a man's calling is plainly revealed."

It's a nice approach.

Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
702 Posts

Hi
Like yourself Bryn I to indevour to replicate the intuitive prowess of SH, it show off skills I have trained my self in, and as you say Piers yes it is quite a challenge. With most audiences dressing down and wearing casual clothing nowadays.

This type presentation is ideal and lends itself in a demonstration of psychometry and as in a PM from Dave he reminded me there is an excellent chapter in T.A. Waters Mind, Myth and Magic featuring Sherlock Holmes observation and deduction. I am really grateful for this, but as Waters mentions and ends with many of the clues from the past are not valid for the era we now live in.

The question is what can we pick up from the people themselves on sight that make up our audience? I also don't think it is for us to talk about medical problems such as when you see a lady wearing very high heal shoes, this possibly infers that she could or will be suffering from lower back pains. Also in the way someone of senior years could be holding something could infer they are suffering from arthritis.

One thing that can be of assistance is a persons voice, this leads to education and possibly where they originate from. This is all well and good if you get to hear them speak.

It is okay if you see the type or model car someone parks up, but this could also lead you astray if it is a company car and not their own. But more often than not you never get to see a car someone in a audience drives in. I seem to be finding to many dead ends.

I have looked into the clothing and colours people choose, there is quite a lot to be found on this by doing an internet search.

Thanks for your help Andy but many of the things we see Derren's do in his TV shows has some time delay where anything is possible, this is not possible in the real world.

As Johnny Five says in Short Circuit, "More input, more input".

Thanks

Franklin
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
702 Posts

Sorry for the misspelling like indevour should be endeavor.

Franklin
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Franklin, I appreciate your point, but I have sat in the audience of one of his shows and watched him do it, so know that it is possible.

Maybe if we head over to Inner thoughts and assemble some sort of list of things that that would be of use to people using this angle?

Andy
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
702 Posts

Hi Andy
Sounds good to me, see you there.

Franklin
james1a
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of james1a
T,A.Waters discusses this in MM&M
James1a
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Quote:
On 2008-08-28 03:44, Ken Dyne wrote:

I was doing a meeting with a journalist yesterday and did this exact thing. Talked about how her shoes, the laces in those shoes and the matching socks told me certain things about her. That kind of thing. I think its a really great way to present readings especially if you are using some observation as well as cold reading . . .

But Ken, isn't sensing information about a person an important part of cold reading not something apart as you seem to imply. Since the general public, and certainly many journalists, have recently become aware of "cold reading" (albeit that they may have little if any comprehension of what it really is) aren't you, in fact, unintentionally exposing at least one of the significant "secrets" of cold reading and thereby undermining your own credibility as a reader (even though you may be presenting yourself as an "entertainer" and not claiming to be endowed or imbued with any "special powers")?

Of course this becomes a moot point if you are presenting yourself as a debunker of claims or demonstrations of the paranormal. And if that is your intention, I suspect that you may incur the ire of those of us who offer psychic entertainment and eschew both making unwarranted claims and offering disclaimers and whom it may be assumed comprise the bulk of those participating in this forum.
Dick Christian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Readings with a Sherlock Holmes slant (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL