The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Searching » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
I love the Café but I figured it was worth asking what's up with the search feature? I search, then can't search again because there seems to be a strict time limit. I can't tell how long it waits to make me search again (that'd be helpful) but end up ... well, for example, I did a search and am not sure I spelled it right. I'd search again with a different spelling but can't. I'd search to see if someone already asked about the search, but I can't. You get the idea. I'm done and have to leave the site, close the browser and come back later - it just doesn't quite seem to EVER allow another search unless I fully close the browser (I use Firefox) but I haven't really tested that. It sure is the impression I get though.

That is the ONE gripe I have. Smile I love this site! But if you have to keep refusing to search, could there at least be a bit on there telling me how much longer I have to wait?

It'd be really nice to have the search back, though. I find I end up at google telling it to search on the Café site, but it is searching as of the last time it indexed the Café so isn't quite as nice - but at least it gives a result!
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Sorry but being in the web design and hosting business I can tell you that with a site the size of The Café, something like this needs to be in place. With the sheer number of users, to many queries could actually lock or worse crash the database that the site runs on. It's a bit of a necessary evil.
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
Mmmm... I can live with that. But then I might request the addition of a note so that instead of "you can't search again" it says that the interval is a minute or something so I know what to expect. If it actually said how long until I could search again that'd be even cooler.

And frankly I've gotten used to using Google's search restricted to this site. Maybe a hotlink to that with the search terms filled in and the site:themagiccafe.com appended would be nice? That way at least there is SOME search capability instead of no search capability.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
This has been discussed many times. Read this topic to answer your question.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=50&33
Where the magic begins
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
I appreciate that! I tried to search for this topic before I posted but ... well, I wasn't allowed to search. And every time I thought about it was after a search, so while I've thought about it a lot I've never been allowed to search to see if it had been discussed. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Searching » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL