The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ipod/Itunes question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
I'm trying to clear some space on my 40G hard drive, and my music portion is sucking up 15 gigs of it. My question is this:

When Itunes syncs with my "my music" folder, does it make copies of the music files? If so, is it safe to delete the files from "my music" and Itunes will have its own files to work off of? ANyone know how to compress the video portions of some podcasts so they don't eat up space?

Any tips or suggestions on this is appreciated. Thanks! Jim
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Depending on what types of music files you have, the answer is probably "yes". iTunes copies and converts the files from their "native" format (mp3, wav, etc.) to a format compatible with iTunes.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
If I understand you, then NO, don't do that!! Each time you try to play a song it will look for the source and will not be able to find it. The songs will stay on your ipod, but will not be available in iTunes. This is my experience at least.
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Get a new drive. They're cheap and huge.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
On my computer, I store all of my MP3 and WAV files in a Data\MP3 directory. iTunes created an iTunes directory under My Documents\My Music. In that directory, it saved converted versions of all of the music files and gave them "M4A" extensions. After they were imported into iTunes, I moved all of my MP3 files to an external drive, so the system has no way to get to them, but iTunes still works.

That's why I think there should be no problem.

What you could do is rename the directory containing the original music files. If iTunes doesn't have a problem, then you are okay. If it does, then just rename it to whatever the original name was. This way you won't be at risk, and you will know for sure.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
(Unless there's something quirky about an ipod that other mp3 players don't do...)

Scrub them files. There are a number of free applications out there to turn iTunes files into "plain vanilla" mp3 files (I use Tunebite). Then move the liberated files into another directory. You'll be able to get out from under the thumb of iTunes - then treat your iPod just like any other player and sync up your tunes without iTunes.

PS - I have a $13.95/month "all you can eat" plan with Napster, and do the same with the wma files it produces (no more "leave Napster and lose your tunes" nonsense).
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ipod/Itunes question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL