The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Magicopolis--Just Go (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
I'm not the first to say it, but Steve Spill's Magicopolis is a great magic show for the whole family. I went to the matinée last Saturday with 7 people. The age range was from my mom & stepfather (80 and 86), my 10 year old daughter and her 12 year old friend and my best friend, his wife and my wife (her age undisclosed, but my moniker is "The Old Man"). Everyone had a fun time.

The space is very special. There is a bar area, for the evening shows. A candy/popcorn counter and a magic counter where there is pre-show entertainment and, mostly easy, magic for sale. Yes, there is a full spinner rack of Adam's brand tricks. The theater is perfectly set up for magic, Steve designed it for that purpose.

The theatre has a raised stage and 180 very comfortable seats. It works for Steve's closeup slight of hand--Coins Across (while sitting at the edge of the stage with a felt-covered board on his lap), and the linking finger rings (when my mother was shown her diamond ring linked she at first said it wasn't hers [it obviously was], there's always one in every show and it had to be my mother!). And it works for larger illusions--his wife Bozena gets floated, sawn and squished.

Speaking of his wife, she really puts her personality and personal history (an émigré from Poland) into the effects she performs by herself. For example she does the Acme bandanna/banana trick as a lesson in English and learning magic. I have never seen this trick performed in a more charming, entertaining manner. The whole audience loved it. Another example is she does a torn and restored newspaper--yawn. Except she does it while reciting a poem about her experience on a subway. It was perfectly timed and proved the old adage--the best magic uses the trick to reveal the magician's personality.

There were many costume changes for both Steve and Bozena and many funny skits woven into the tricks. They also worked well with the full age range of their volunteer--kids to seniors. Steve had a 4 1/2 year old boy who had a wonderful look of delight during a Miser's Dream sequence using a cooking pot and wooden spoon.

To conclude, this is a complete magic show that (to use a trite but true phrase) the whole family will enjoy. I can't imagine anyone with even the slightest interest in magic not enjoying it--whether with kids or not. I also think the magicians out there can also pick up a pointer or two on entertaining for families. There were a few jokes out there for the adults, but nothing that takes away from the family experience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Magicopolis--Just Go (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL