The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Pinpointing an origin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Profile of r1z08
Years ago when I worked at a local magic shop, the owner came down from his office and showed me an interesting little impromptu effect which used 3 cups and a ball (really this could be anything, as long as it fits under the cups). The effect goes as follows:

3 ordinary cups are presented and are put into a line in front of a volunteer. The positions of the cups (not the cups themselves) are number 1, 2 & 3. A ball (or other item) is handed to the volunteer and is told that when the performer turns his back, the volunteer is to place the ball underneath any one of the cups. With his back turned, the volunteer places the ball under one of the cups and is now instructed to switch the positions of the other two empty cups. Once this is done, the volunteer is asked to switch the positions of any cups he/she wants, but to call out which positions are being moved. For instance switching 1 & 3, 2 & 1, and so on until he or she is happy. Once finished, the performer turns around and instantly lifts the correct cup revealing the hidden ball. This can be done as many times as the volunteer likes and the performer is always 100% correct.

end

Does anyone know the name of this effect or who created it? I don't know why, but this came to my mind the other day and I was trying to come up with the answer. I even went back to the magic shop and asked the owner and he barely even remembered the trick itself!

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

-rob
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I think it is Bob... Hummer or Farmer. I overheard it being descibed at a magic shop. I was a rotten little kid. It was years later I heard the origin. I do know that Michael Skinner popularized it.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Al Koran’s “Note Under Cup” from Professional Presentations book was the first place for me. I am sure it is older.
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
The name Al Koran comes to mind for some reason. Does his 'Note under cup' predate the two Bobs? Al Koran's effect is identical up to the part when when the volunteer calls out positions as further movements take place. I generally perform Al Koran's version using china tea cups and money.
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Lem you posted as I posted. Great minds think alike!
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Profile of r1z08
Good stuff guys! Thanks!

Lem, I knew that I had seen a version of this in print before and upon looking at my copy of Professional Presentations I found the routine (last effect in the book). However, I do believe you're right in that it might be older than that. If you look in the text you will find that Al Koran even states that there are "various mathematical variations" of the demonstration.

-rob
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
Martin Gardner describes a version of this in _Mathematics, Magic and Mystery_ (1956). He attributes it to Bob Hummer who marketed it in 1951 under the title "Mathematical Three-Card Monte."

Need more? I have the reference in front of me.

cheers,

Lin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Pinpointing an origin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL