The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Gravity Flipper with Magnet?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
I want to place an order for a Walking Liberty Gravity Flipper Coin from Todd Lassen. To save money (ie.: not buying 2 or more gaffed coins) and get the most versatile gimmick, I want to get your guys' opinions.

Many effects out there use a Flipper Coin (FC) and an Expanded S***L (ES). Is it worth having a magnet be incorporated "inside" the FC?? And also have an ES with a metal shim? What part of the FC should I ask Todd to have the magnet be incorporated?

Is this a common request and if so, is there any disadvantage to having the FC made this way? Can you perform all the regular FC effects if I also have an ES without a metal shim? Also, would I be able to perform all the effects in Craig Petty's DVD "FLIPPED OUT" with the Magnet FC? I mean will the coin transpose from "2 to 1" if lightly tossed in the air or into your spectator's hand? Or will the added weight of the magnet make a difference somehow?

Anyone have such a gimmicked set of coins???

Anywhere I can find routines with this specialized gimmick set??

Before I place the order, I want to see what your feedback is since I'm sure the price will almost double.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
With a lassen flipper and shell you can flip it without the magnetic needed.

The shell fits so well and the gravity flipper only opens a certain way you really do not need to magnatize them...it is not needed. Added expense for no gain.
Mobius
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Hi Mobius--

Thanks for that insight.

But after you flip it, can the FC come out of the ES during the routine as if holding it in Spellbound position? Will the FC fall in Fingerpalm with a gentle rock of the thumb holding the combo? Does it function in this aspect as a Triple Threat which I own?
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
The only thing you give up without magnetics in the Expanded Shell/Flipper combo is the ability to toss the coin in the air without it coming apart. I think this isn't exactly the hugest thing in the world. I would think the best thing about shimmed/magnetic gaffs would be the ability to ditch them using a holdout or something.

I have several Lassen gravity flippers that are shimmed or have magnets. There is virtually no discernible difference. Todd works to ensure perfection in his products and this is not an extremely uncommon order, so he will know how to deal with it if you decide to go for. I also have a number of magnetized and shimmed expanded shells and they are perfect, just as the regular shells.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Yes Salby it will do that. I do that all the time with mine without it splitting. I showed some magi tonight and they swore it was magnetic...it is definatly not. It was a discussion with Troy Hooser that got me to flip it in the first place and I discovered this property with my FC and ES....Thanks Troy. My Johnson and sasco shells do not have this property however and split when flipped with shell on top. With shell on bottom...not so much but it can split on catching.
Practice over a bed or similar soft surface till it is surefire.
Hope this helps.
Mobius
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
My experience with a FC (magnetic) and ES (shimmed) is that it is wonderful at the end of an effect, as the nested set can be disposed of in several ways as a unit. However, if the routine is started with the set nested, it is somewhat difficult to dislodge the FC from the ES leading to some performance difficulties.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Gravity Flipper with Magnet?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL