The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Double Blank decks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Hi Guys I was just wonting some info on what tricks are out there using a double blank deck (on face and back). I have been doing y2k deck by Aldo on his standing room only dvd but would like to create a routine using the deck. So I need some more tricks if people have any to recommand.

Magically

Aus
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Wow 35 views and nothing.
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
223 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
Here are some thoughts:

You could open with Meir Yedid's Cardinal cards. The premise is that you are showing how to split cards, but the trick is essentially a wild card packet routine where you start with printed cards and end up with all blanks.

Since it is a packet trick that cannot be inspected you would have to put it away, and bring out the full deck of blanks explaining that you got so carried away with splitting cards that you now have a whole deck. From here proceed to do the Y2K trick.

Then do an ambitious card routine using one of the blanks signed by the spectator.
I think Aldo has a simple one on the same DVD and the Y2K trick.

For a closer using blanks, I can't think of anything better that Aldo's effect called "Draw a Blank". He explains it on one of his other DVD's but he also markets it separately with the necessary cards.

The effect is similar to that of the invisible deck where any spectator names a playing card. Then rather than showing that it is the only reversed card in the deck as you do with the invisible deck, you instead show that it is the only printed card in a deck of blanks. He stunned an audience of magicians when he lectured at our club a few years back.

The only problem that you will have to work out is that to use "Draw a Blank" as the closer you will probably have to do a deck switch since it requires it's own slightly gaffed deck(s). You could do the Y2K with the Draw a Blank deck, but Draw a Blank is such a strong trick it almost has to be the closer.

Cheers
"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for"
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Thanks Nerdini I look into those.

I have been doing a seach here and some say the Ghost Flight by Peter Duffie might be somingthing to look into and many people seem to lump praise on.

Any thoughts?

Magically

Aus
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
223 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
Sorry to take so long to get back. I am not familiar with the Peter Duffie trick, but by doing a Google search, I came up with this description of the effect:

Released by Peter Duffy, a trick that card lovers will have a ball with. Hand out eight cards which are blank on both sides, then hand out four regular cards of the same value. Lay a piece of cardboard down that has been examined. Sandwich each playing card between two blank cards. Pick up each packet and the card has disappeared and now there are three blank cards! (No false counts!) All four regular cards disappear one by one and reappear under the cardboard! Great routine. Comes with the cards and routine.

It appears to be like a four of a kind assembly of printed cards that were originally dispersed in packets of blanks. With some thought it probably could be worked into a segment with a blank deck.

Another thought, would be to end your routine with the Mental Photography deck. I'm sure you are familiar with this well known gaffed deck that is probably in just about every magician's sock drawer, but probably doesn't get used much. I don't think I have ever seen anyone perform it other than in a magic store. This deck allows one to convincingly show a deck of all blanks, then print a few cards at random, and next print the whole deck--back and front. Then, as an additional phase, you can make the deck go back to all blanks.

Once again you would have to come up with a simple deck switch since this deck cannot not be used for much else than the effect described above.

Hope this gives you some food for thought

Nerdini
"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for"
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
Greg Wilson has a great routine called Point Blank that uses one of these decks. Its an ambitious style routine... kind of. The specs signed card ends up fused to your signed card for the finale. It can be found on Pyrotechnic Pasteboards. I like this routine and I think it has lots of room to add and take things away to suit your needs. It might be to your liking.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I perform a version of Greg's routine. I thought you should know that it is originally the brain child of Café' regular Seth Kramer. It is truly one of those "Why didn't I think of that" routines. In Greg's case, someone did. It was featured in an old Linking Ring. I'm not sure what year, but if you can find Seth on here, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Double Blank decks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL