The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Favorite art (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Russell Drysdale, Francis Bacon, Vermeer, John Brack and Judith Leyster are some of my favourites.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
I did not slam your families taste, I stated my opinion about Pollock and how it was a most successful marketing of a mediocre artist by his friend in the art world and the galleries that profited from the sale of his work. I also pointed out that “all buyers” of his work were willing accomplices in it. I probably should have also stated; while I stand by my opinion of Pollock’s work it has proved to have been a wise and profitable investment.

Your point about the grid and the photos being placed intentionally one way or the other could be art but to if one randomly tosses a bunch of photos in the air an let them fall where they may, it’s an accident not art. Great art, of any kind, is not an accident, it is well thought out and deliberate.

You are the one that brought up your families wealth, when you proclaimed they paid $10,000 for a painting in the late 1940s (That’s the time only time period Pollock work was that cheep). I only pointed out that in today’s money it would be the same as paying $250,000 and that is a great deal of money for a painting unless you are a multi millionaire and out of the reach for most people then and now.

Last but not least your statement: After all, when you have a lot of money or spend a lot in one store, they are awfully nice to you, almost like best friends! Conmen treat you that way too!

P.S. canvas is not like a sculpture, people buy picture of paintings all the time, I don't think the same can be said for pictures sculptures.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
(From Bradbury.)

The old man stooped and began scratching the beach with a stick, and as he did so nymphs and satyrs, minotaurs and dryads flowed out onto the sand, dancing just out of reach of the sea. "My name is Pablo," he said.

I watched, captivated, dreamy, as he moved along the beach, fading into the distance, until I heard my wife and turned.

"Who was that?"

"An old man," I said. "Listen! Do you hear the waves?"
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
M.C. Escher's 'Relativity' & Van Gogh's 'Self Portrait with Grey Felt Hat'
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Van Gogh is a perfect example of an artist work being thought out and deliberate, his art is fantastic!
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Van Gogh is amazing.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Well van Gogh (who I adore) did paint some 70 oils in the final 70 days of his life--he couldn't have planned too much.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Van Gogh made many preliminary drawings, and pastel sketches of anything he intended to paint, especially his landscapes. After making many different sketches on location, he would then take the sketches back to where he painted, much the way artist do to this day but most artist use photos instead of hand drawings. Most of these sketches did not survive but some did and are in public and privet collections. Watching a movie about this artist is not the same studying him or his art and of course studying art is the only way you would have know just how deliberate he was.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Favorite art (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL