The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Silent Treatment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
This is a great thread.
Thanks for the very useful info.
Smile
Daniel Faith
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Ron,

I am looking forward to the web site with magic words and phrases. Please make sure it also has a way to say that you only know a little bit of sign language!

I think it is a good idea to learn American Sign language letters for spelling even if you don't perform. I am definitely going to do this now. I considered learning sign language before, but I was overwhelmed by it. I never considered learning just the letters! Funny, considering I learned Morse code!

I really appreciate your good advice.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Aren't the letters called "mechanical English" or something like that? I thought there wasn't any use of letters in actual sign language which made it independent from various spoken ones. In fact I think this was part of the argument used when a court decision ruled that sign language was actually a true language and not just a code for communicating a spoken one.

Hey Bill, how fast can you send and receive Morse? I never got past 20wpm send / 18wpm receive when I was a radio operator in the army— after that speed my brain just turned to dit-dah jelly!

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I finally got around to making a page of sign Language for magicians. This is only a start but you can check it out if you want. I'll be adding a lot more words and sentences soon. I'll also add a little more on the construction of sentences in ASL.

Click here to check it out.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
KV Magic
View Profile
New user
Missouri
58 Posts

Profile of KV Magic
Jaxon,

Thank you so much for the site! I have it bookmarked and will be checking it often.

You have provided a great service. Keep up the good work!

Keith
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Jax,

4 words: Spec-Tac-U-lar!!!!!!
WHYYYYYYY hasn't anyone else ever thought of this? It makes such obvious sense!!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I'm glad you enjoy it. If you're interested in ASL please keep coming back to check it out. I'll be adding more words when ever I have the time to. On a side note, if there are any words you would like or need to learn please let me know.

I just added a lot of information on ASL to the page. It goes over the grammar and facial expressions. I don't expect anyone to learn it all from this site. That would be impossible. I just wanted to share the basic rules to the language.

Check it out. There's a lot to it and some of you might find it interesting. In fact, I credit my ability to be visually expressive in my acts to sign language. It's become natural to me to communicate with facial expressions and body language. That can be helpful in anyone's act.

Ron Jaxon

Quote:
Aren't the letters called "mechanical English" or something like that? I thought there wasn't any use of letters in actual sign language which made it independent from various spoken ones. In fact I think this was part of the argument used when a court decision ruled that sign language was actually a true language and not just a code for communicating a spoken one.

Sorry, I just realized I forgot to comment on this question.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is more then one kind of sign language used in USA.

There's is "Sign English" which is basically signing spoken English. If you where to say, "I'm going to the store" you would sign every single word. Deaf people don't use Sign English because it takes to long to sign. English uses so many words that aren't needed and to talk with your hands in sign English would take forever if we used every word. This why it's so hard to find a good sign language book. Many of them aren't written by deaf people and don't know any better. So they throw a lot of Sign English in them because it fits "propper english". ASL isn't English. it's an entirely different language.

Deaf people use ASL (American Sign Language). The sentence structure is different and easier to sign. Go to my ASL page for more details on that.

To the question of the Alphabet being used in ASL. It's actually used quite a bit. A letter can change the entire meaning of a sign. For example of you sign the word "Group" Now you make the same sign action but your hands are forming the letter (C) the word becomes class. (T) and the word becomes team. (F) and the word becomes Family. See the similarity between all of these words? They all mean a group of some kind. The letter just tells what kind of group.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
How about "Glad you liked the show...now WHERE'S MY MONEY?!!?" kidding!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Glad you liked the show would be translated as:

"Happy/glad <<<<(same sign) you like magic show."

The sign for money is pretty much hand gesture. The international "rubbing fingers on thumb" gesture for money.

Or just put your hand out palm up and raise your eyebrows at them.. Smile

I know you where just joking but there it is.

Ron Jaxon

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Mr. Ron Jaxon,

Thanks for posting the link.

Your information and you are appreciated.

I am adding that to one of my favorite links.

At times I have one or two interpreters at my Nearly Normal Programs.

One type is translating into Spanish, the other uses ASL.

Be safe well and creative.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I am a hearing impaired magician myself. I wear hearing aids in both ears and have for years now. Perhaps I might be able to shed some light on the subject.

I often get the chance to perform for other hearing impaired and deaf folks and I do so through some of the deaf groups and associations in my area. Because I am hearing impaired myself, I also give a bit of a speech to encourage and show that anyone can overcome and do anything they want to do no matter what handicap they may have.

Any ways, when performing for someone with a hearing problem or for deaf people you will want to remember several things:

1) Most importantly, do not treat them any differently then you would anyone else. I have seen to many people change their attitude around us once they know we are deaf. They tend to speek slower and their language changes and they start feeling pity on us. This is the last thing people with hearing problems want. Be yourself and we will appreciate you for it.

2) Do not change your show around that much to accomodate. There is no need to if you have a Interpretor there. Most deaf associations have an interpretor that goes with them to most events. A simple call will help you to know this in advance.

3) When the group gets there, you will want to touch base with the interpretor first. Talk to them and ask them what you can do to help. In most cases they will just say to be yourself and speek clearly. This does not mean speek slower. Just make sure you speek clear enough that she can sign for you.

4) You also will want to save and position a seat for the interpretor that is nearest to the stage area. This way they can watch what you are doing as well as see the interpretor at the same time. Usually the interpretor will suggest this if you do not.

5) Simply go out there and have fun.

Hope this helps.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Silent Treatment (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL