The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Close Up Pad (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marc Levine
View Profile
Regular user
South Florida
125 Posts

Profile of Marc Levine
I had a close up pad that I ruined by spilling super glue on by accident. I was able to peel away the velvet and save the rubber ... 2 questions: Where can I find the same kind of velvet that it comes with and what kind of adhesive or glue do I attach it with? Thanks
Gidon
View Profile
New user
Tacoma, Wa
80 Posts

Profile of Gidon
I found some velvet called Marilyn Velvet at a fabric store that works well. I don't know how to attach it to the pad though since mine covers a pad on a thin piece of wood.
Chris Harland
"No WAY...wait...do that again."
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Marc,
I think it would be far cheaper and less of a hassle just to buy a new one for $16. Just trying to be a help and realistic.
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Marc Levine
View Profile
Regular user
South Florida
125 Posts

Profile of Marc Levine
Well WolfsMagic, you certainly were no help. Realistic maybe. But I have rubber sitting around and collecting dust and was hoping someone would have an idea as to how a close-up pad is made.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Marc,
If you want to give it a shot, use some 3M Super77 or Super 99 spray glue. Apply it evenly to the rubber pads and on the backside of the velvet. Let them set for a couple of minutes and then stick them together starting from one edge smoothing the velvet down as you continue across the entire surface. It is best to start by cutting the pieces oversized. That way you can trim them down square and not have to worry about lining them up perfectly when gluing together.

There, now do I get a Gold Star on my forehead for being a good boy? Smile
Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, just ask.Smile
Chance

Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Smile
The only one I could find for ya Chance was ontop of this tree.

Smile

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
You be so clever Peter!
Thankee
the Chancellor

Marc Levine
View Profile
Regular user
South Florida
125 Posts

Profile of Marc Levine
Yeah Wolfs, that helps a bit more but where on earth can I get this velvet you speak of, and what is it called? Have you actually made a pad yourself? Or are you just making a logical suggestion? I guess I just want to play it safe and know the exact velvets and glues that the pro pads are made out of. Thanks
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Marc,
I have never actually made a close up pad. It was just a logical suggestion wrapped up in a lot of hope. Smile

The R&D is up to you and the potential headaches as well but sometimes, solving the problems and achieving success is pretty darn rewarding. The only velvet I can think of is the typical High Quality Velvet found at any fabric store usually averaging $13 to $16 a running yard. Use the fabric with the thickest backing possible. This will make the glueing process much easier. You may want to set up a weighted press while it dries. Basically a smooth clean piece of masonite, a bit larger than your pad, with some books piled on,layed on top of the glued close up mat.

Hope this helps,
Chance

RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
About 10 years ago I made a pad for Shadow Coins using velvet but the grain of the velvet showed every movement I was trying to conceal. I remade it with velour which looks like velvet but doesn't have a discernable grain. I got the velour from a local (in NC) upholstery shop for like $5. The hard part for me was finding the rubber material in the first place.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Forget the velvet. Go to your local fabric store and buy the spray glue that was mentioned above and buy some high grade felt. It comes in all colors and works perfectly for a close up pad.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Felt works well but avoid the lower grade craft felt. It picks apart easily. Pool Table Felt is an ideal alternative.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
I agree, I would just buy a new one and save yourself the hassle. If you want to make it yourself and have that sense of pride, than go to a local fabric store and buy as much as you need of "Triple Velvet."

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Quote:
The hard part for me was finding the rubber material in the first place.
Rob, where did you finally find the rubber material?
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
JohnMartin
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of JohnMartin
Hi Marc,

I must applaude your determination to revamp this close up mat of yours. However it never ceases to amaze me how cheap magicians really are!!! You will spend valuable time running around getting the necessary materials to fix this mat, not to mention the amount of money you will spend to buy the material, glue etc. Which if you add together will certainly cost more than the 10 bucks it costs to buy a new one. And there's no garantee that the one you finally make will be nearly as good as a professionally made pad. Good luck.
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2003-05-07 09:12, JohnMartin wrote:
Hi Marc,

... However it never ceases to amaze me how cheap magicians really are!!!....And there's no garantee that the one you finally make will be nearly as good as a professionally made pad. Good luck.
Oh, John, John, John! You miss the point completely! It is not that we are cheap. No, this frantic drive springs from a desire to be self-sufficient. There is nothing more comforting than knowing that, if we were stranded on a desert island, we could create our own close-up mat.

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
Magic_streak
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
196 Posts

Profile of Magic_streak
Yeah good point. People treasure the things they make more than the things they buy. Anyway, try visiting a local fabric store and get a feel of the different types of velvet. Take what suits you! The velvet they use for pool tables is good for a close up mat.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Quote:
On 2003-05-06 19:09, LWolf76 wrote:
Rob, where did you finally find the rubber material?
I ended up using a bathroom rug that was very thin foam rubber.

More recently, I found Cyberguys stocks a Jumbo (17.5" X 13.8") Mouse pad for under $8. The item number is 1070630. I purchased two and they are GREAT! I'm thinking about dyeing or re-covering one but it works great as is.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Interesting idea, I'll check it out! Thanks!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
I've always found the close up mats that you buy to be way too small. If they were four times the size that would be perfect.

Kasper Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Close Up Pad (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL