The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » The Women's Club (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ryansmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Reading, PA
147 Posts

Profile of ryansmagic
A few months back I was contacted by the local Women’s Club to do a show after one of their meetings. As it turns out one of their members saw me 3 years ago at a show and was holding onto my business card. Anyway I was told it would be 35 women ranging in age from 30 to 80+. When I was first contacted I was convinced this would be a very fun show. As the weeks went on I became more nervous about what it would be like. I mean most of these women are older and I was not sure what type sense of humor they would have.

Well the show was last night. I show up early, as usual, and I get put into a separate room, while they had their meeting. When the meeting was done a woman found me and brought me into the room where I would perform. Still a little weary about how this might go. I start my show off with Dan Harlan’s “Hold it Buster”. I barely introduced myself and these women were cracking up. They laughed at every joke in the routine. I was supposed to do 40 minutes and ended up doing an hour. After I finally ended my show I was given an entire plate of baked goods and ordered to join them for coffee and snacks. I ended up doing close up and hanging around for another hour. It was one of the most fun times I have ever had doing magic. Everyone was laughing and having a good time, including me. Plus I think I will probably get a few more shows from this one, it was also the most business cards I have ever given out. So if you get a call from a women’s club take the gig, it could turn out to be great.
Ryan Parsons
[email]ryanparsons@comcast.net[/email]
http://www.magicformiracles.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I do hope you get a lot of gigs out of it, because they conned you into an extra 15 min and an hour of walk around in exchange for some coffee and cookies. Not what I'd call a profitable evening.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
ryansmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Reading, PA
147 Posts

Profile of ryansmagic
Well Father, I would hardly call it being conned into anything. I was having an absolute blast, but yes a call and an email already.
Ryan Parsons
ryansmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Reading, PA
147 Posts

Profile of ryansmagic
Just a follow up.....From this show I have 2 full paid gigs booked already.
Ryan Parsons
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I agree with Father.

Any sucker can get on a stage; only a professional knows when to get off.

1) Do show for the amount of time agreed on.

2) Finish, get paid and scram.

When offered food and/or drink, your reply: Thank you but no.

"Hey stick around and join us for..." Your reply: I would Love to but I have another show and need to get on the road.

Other than that, you did good!
ryansmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Reading, PA
147 Posts

Profile of ryansmagic
While I see your points and tend to agree, this was a unique situation. I have been offered food and drinks many other times and always turn down the offers. This was kind of like being in a room with 35 of your grandma's, turning down food would have been an insult to them. I think for me the "extra" time I put in was well worth it. I have recieved 5-6 emails of thanks and praise since this show and already have 2 fully paid bookings directly from it. Had I just packed up and rolled out the door I am not sure I would have been so well recieved.
Ryan Parsons
Kune
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Kune
I personally think Ryan was right for staying, leaving all positive and negative business implications aside, he had a really great time. As a performer he may have been better off to head home early and practice his double lift in his bedroom, but life isn't worth much if that's the only value it has.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Just don't do what I once did. I got the date wrong and suddenly realized I had a show across town and about 10 minutes to get there. I grabbed my stuff, threw it into the car, called my assistant to meet me there, and rushed across town, arriving about 6 min late. I came rushing in as my assistant was unloading and doing the set ups, waited until the lady addressing the group had a pause, barged in interrupting her, and appologized for being late and proceeded to do my show. It was very well received. I thanked all, appologized again and left. After getting home I realized I had the date wrong, the gig was the next night. I still have no clue of what lady's club I gave the free show to.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Kune
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Kune
LOL, that sounds like the type of thing I could easily end up doing. I wonder if they're still trying to figure out who it was that hired the magician to perform Smile
ryansmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Reading, PA
147 Posts

Profile of ryansmagic
Kune: Good points and I agree

Father: That's a funny story, could have happened to anyone.

I like to give people value for their money. Most of the time when the show is done I pack up and more on, but I will always stop to talk to people who are intrested in magic and answer their questions. This usually turns into a close up trick or two. When I get a booking that included balloons I try to get an idea of how many people will be there and base my price on how long I think I will be there. I try not to gigs that are for 1 hour or 2 hours (unless it's a fiar type of event where there are endless people). If there is a set number of people I will stay as long as it takes to make sure everyone gets at leaset 1 balloon.
Ryan Parsons
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Ryan:

IMHO you done good! No one wants to feel "taken" but never walk away from a good time! If you love your craft (art, etc.) there will be times when sharing it is "the bomb". Go with it! Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I do a lot of womens clubs events -usually 50-100 people all ages mainly the over 60 s -At least 25-30 a year of these clubs alone!

I agree you have a blast-they love the magic, the jokes & you feel very comfortable on stage-the format usually goes like this--

they always want around 35-45 mins-I do 35 max usualy less & finish with them in Hysterics having a good time, I never really do close up afterwards unless a very special reason to do so- don't over do too much of the good guy routine-Having a professional act that is tested & works helps a lot!!-Politeness is the key!

I quickly pack up -have a juice,even a nibble- speak to the person that hired me-I don't fish for comments on the show but listen if people mention having a enjoyable time & as long as the person hiring is Happy -thats where the bookings come from for future events for me anyway

-I get many comments wishing they could have watched for an hr they were having so much fun-Always leave them wanting more is my motto!!

They are such a nice group to deal with but usually 10 mins & I leave -I could stay for hours-I never over book shows & rush to do another on same days -usually will be later at night for extra shows

I think Ryan had a great experience & will be well equipped & may recognise the similar formula at these events-for the many bookings he may get from now on-Well done -enjoy the day!!!! Sounds like a neat show you did!!!

They are a great & appreciative audience to work for

Well done

-Brent
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
"scram after the gig"?!?!?! Stay around if you can, mingle and have fun. Bill Malone mentions in his DVDs that if you stick around, it's a perfect chance for them to get to know you, like you, and sell your next show! Spending that extra time isn't a chore, it's an opportunity to get more gigs! You would have left, so be it, but he stayed and got at least 2 more shows. Good lesson here!
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
I always stick around. Have always gotten morf business that way.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I remember an anecdote about Howard THURSTON when he was breaking in. (around 1900?)--No! I wasn't there!

He got a call from a "high society" woman (of wealth!). The woman was haughty and talked "down" to Thurston, as though she was hiring a "gypsy" to perform for her dinner guests. They agreed on a price. (perhaps $100.00) Then the woman finished up with, "Now Mr. Thurston,when the program is over, you are not to mingle with the guests!" Thurston replied,"In that case, the fee is only $75.00."

I'm inclined to both agree and disagree with some of the comments above. I have worked parties of the type that Ryan mentioned. (I remember arriving at a very wealthy home just north of Chicago for a Christmas party. A three piece "band" was playing in the family room. In taking off my overcoat, I dropped my gloves and they fell to the floor and "got lost" in the carpet!

I agree mostly with Ryan, Brent, Herr Tabor and Atom. While there probably isn't any "right or wrong" way to handle the situation, my general rule is "play it by ear". A little socializing will often lead to other bookings--and that's how I make my living! (Mostly, I played schools and colleges, but off season, I would often spend time in Chicago where I picked up lucrative casual dates.)Fortunately, I never had an incident like Howard Thurston!

That little "extra" could easily lead to a "little extra" added to my fee by a pleased client (as well as referrals).

NATE LEIPZIGS "policy" is still good. "Watch the ladies! At the first sign that they've seen enough, quit!"

I'm getting out of here before this turns into a book!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
Quote:
On 2012-09-16 13:06, Herr Brian Tabor wrote:
"scram after the gig"?!?!?! Stay around if you can, mingle and have fun. Bill Malone mentions in his DVDs that if you stick around, it's a perfect chance for them to get to know you, like you, and sell your next show! Spending that extra time isn't a chore, it's an opportunity to get more gigs! You would have left, so be it, but he stayed and got at least 2 more shows. Good lesson here!

I'm glad someone mentioned Bill's DVDS! If someone didn't I was going to.
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » The Women's Club (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL