The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Head Twister (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

khuber
View Profile
Regular user
SLC Utah
125 Posts

Profile of khuber
Has anybody seen used or purchased and used the Head Twister that Magician's Gallery is selling for $99 (normally $150). They have a special for anyone who is purchasing for the first time, you get half off your order, Therefore the Head Twister would only be $75. Is it worth it or is it a trick that's the pits.
Any feedback would be helpful Smile
metalmagic
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of metalmagic
I bought that head twister a little while ago and it is pretty decent. It's not the same as the ones that sell for like $400 but it's definitely worth the money.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I can’t speak to the exact model that you are looking at but can speak to the illusion (illusionette?) in general.

“Rubberneck” (or “The Head Twister” as it has come to be known) was invented by Joe Karson in the 1940’s. His original version came with a phonograph motor that twisted the inner box and it stood on four legs, although he sold plans that included the motor-less and leg-less version. Joe included the plans in at least two different illusion books that he published and sold in the mid and late 40’s.

He sold the manufacturing rights to the Abbott’s Magic Manufacturing Company (Abbott’s Magic). Abbott refined the box by removing the legs, using a hand crank, and removing the legs. Abbott’s is still selling it in their catalogue. Further they are the only manufacture that legally makes and sells this illusion. All others are pure rip-offs.

The problem is that almost anyone that has a little carpentry skills can make a passable version of this illusion. Honestly it is simply an open box inside an open box. I actually saw a magician use a version that was made with reinforced cardboard. His wooden version had been destroyed in transit so he salvaged what he could and taped together a workable cardboard version.

The Illusion can play very funny. It can be used in a one-person show. Basically the magician places it on his/her own head and has an audience member turn the crank (or builds a motor on it as in the original Karson version!).

I have used it as a “Chiropractor in a Box”. I have a wig inside that I put over my face at the end. It appears that my head is backwards in the opening of the box. Box is lifted off and for a second it appears that my head is on backwards! I immediately grasp the wig and rotate it to the back (normal position) and it appears that I have rotated my head back forward (wig comes off under the cover of a towel wiping the sweat away). Don’t laugh it works!

$75.00 for this illusion is probably worth it, even if cheaply made. I would expect to pay over $200.00 for a well built, nicely painted, good noisemaker, plywood version (Hey! That describes the model I have!!!).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
khuber
View Profile
Regular user
SLC Utah
125 Posts

Profile of khuber
Thanks Harry, that helps. I'll probably end up getting the one you talked about. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Head Twister (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL