The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Thread theory for worm workers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
Kinda hard to do Svengali WITHOUT the DL. However, since I follow Don’s method of pitching, I never really give that away. Frankly, I think they are MORE confused after I “show them how it works”. As for “fumbling” the DL, I guess I USED to, but recently I probably have had no more problems than an average pitchman, usually only when my cards are dirty.

My purpose is telling the story of the “Magic Mouse” guy was to get opinions about being up higher than normal and away from the people. It worked for the MM guy but all the people I’ve seen doing the worm are very near the people, as you suggest. The MM guy did NOT give away the secret but I can see the advantage of giving it away by having a kid play with it a little. I can also see the advantage of NOT giving it away. I guess I’ll just have to make up my mind before I do it—or try it both ways to see.

Jon
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2008-11-27 01:40, JoeJoe wrote: The "transparent nylon" that was recommended is dark and does NOT reflect light. . . . I don't care how many different threads you use, how small thin invisible black or flat they are ... you simply will not find anything better than the dark transparent nylon.

Ah ha!! Now this is a horse of a different color, as they say. The monofil leader that comes packed with my Magic Worms is clear. When you said "fishing line," I just assumed that you were talking about the same thing; now, it's obvious that you were not.

I have never seen a dark thin fish line, all the stuff I saw in K-Mart is clear. But it sounds like it might be very good for this application. Can you provide a source? SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
While waiting for my better half in K-Mart today, I decided to wander over to the sporting goods department and the fishing stuff.

Lo and behold, I saw a package of 6-lb. "Trilene" brand monofilament fishing line. It's .009 in diameter, in "low-vis green," which is actually more of a smoke or light greyish color.

So for $7, I bought a 300-yard box of the stuff, and will play around with it to see how it works out. At least it should be less reflective than the clear monofil line. BTW, I also noticed that the same brand and line diameter came in "clear" and "fluorescent blue," which is probably great for fishing, but not so good for magic worms. SETH
sideshowsam
View Profile
New user
I see you staring at my
86 Posts

Profile of sideshowsam
We ll gents I think I have found the Ultimate Worm Thread - Steve Fearson's Vectra Thread - http://vectraline.com/ - check it out and let me know what you think. Fearson say's it is SUBSTANTIALLY stronger than Kevlar - in fact it can be difficult to cut. Claims to be able to support 1/4 pound and levitate a deck of cards...

./sd
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Please let us know how the Fearson IT works out in the worm department! SETH
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
For the Worm I think the best thread is something I stumbled upon about 7 years ago. The thread I use is less than .001" thick and is very strong. In fact I measured it against Fearson's Vectra thread and it is 50% stronger than Vectra!

While not quite as invisible as Fearson's Vectra it is close enough especially for the Worm.

I have a small cache of this thread I have horded for years and may be willing to share some with a select few.

Cheers!

** Bill **
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Some interesting thread posts here!

Alhthough I have never been able to obtain a satisfactory sample of the stuff, it is my understanding that Kevlar IT comes from something called "Kevlar Tow." This is a twisted, stranded rope that is used for high-strength applications like parachute cords, sailboat sails, towing things and outer space missions. It comes in all sorts of sizes and thicknesses, so the trick would be to get some where the thickness of individual strands is strong enough for IT purposes, but still invisible at close range.

Since I don't need a zillion feet of the stuff, I just buy from James George at the Sorcery Shop. I'm still working off of the 40' piece I bought three years ago, and will likely be doing so for a very long time to come (each four-foot piece of that has about 100 strands in it.) SETH
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
The Kevlar thread James George sells is good but the Vectra thread is 30% stronger and slightly more invisible.

My thread is twice (i.e 100%) stronger than the Kevlar thread.

Cheers!

** Bill **
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
Bill,
I'd be more than happy to review a sample for you! ;-)
sideshowsam
View Profile
New user
I see you staring at my
86 Posts

Profile of sideshowsam
Bill do you know the name of this miracle thread or are you getting ready to market it as bill's super thread...?

I'd also be willing to try some out
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
No I won't be marketing the thread, but I would be willing to share some.

Cheers!

** Bill **
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
Bill was kind enough to share some of his thread with me and I like it!

I have put it to the test with the Squirmle and have been able to do maneuvers that have broken both Kevlar and Spectra thread.

Bill's thread is slightly thicker (thus slightly more visible), than wolly nylon, Kevlar, and Spectra threads; but I'm happy to trade off a little extra thickness for the additional strength.

I give Bill's thread a "thumbs up"!
sideshowsam
View Profile
New user
I see you staring at my
86 Posts

Profile of sideshowsam
I got some of Bill's super thread and that stuff is great - I've got a two year old who is fascinated with squirmles and she usually finds a way to grab the squirmle and break the thread off - this time the squirmles nose broke off - great stuff Bill - are you sure you can't find out what it's called?

have a great day today everyone.

./sam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Thread theory for worm workers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL