The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Puppet making (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sier5
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of sier5
Hi, I'm interested in making soft puppets, but all I can find are insruction for hard puppets. Can any one point me in the right direction.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
You want the Verna Finley tapes/DVDs - they even come with a pattern. Verna was one of the top puppet makers around. You can sometimes find the tapes or DVDs on eBay.
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
I found some very interesting sites online with both printed and video instruction when I was researching this a couple of months ago. The two best I found were a video tutorial on the MAKEzine Blog (called Foam Puppet Making, in two parts, embedded right on the site), and a nice page of instructions and materials/tools needed at Puppetbuilder.com, a site run by Nick Barrone. These should give you a pretty good idea on how to start.

Bear in mind that making a "good" puppet is not an easy task, and will take time and practice, like anything else. I chose to put my time and effort back into my show and routines, and decided to leave the puppet building to guys like Wanlu, Steve Axtell, and Puppets 4 Jesus, three of the best and most reliable sources I have found.

Good luck !

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Tom,

Do you know how to contact Verna ? I found out she was supposedly right up the road from me, in southwest Florida, less than one hour away. I tried to email her several times, but they all bounced back. I could not find a phone number or anything else on her. Is she still with us ?

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1252 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
It’s very difficult to reach Verna and her videos.

So, I suggest you to go to puppetsandstuff.com and puppetmakers.org to learn about soft puppets
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Verna's videos are available, a quick search found:
https://sslserver.com/kingdom-karactors.com/newstuff.html

I am in no way associated with the site so I can't vouch for them, but I remember seeing them on another site too. You may want to check with Lee Cornell at Ventriloquism101. He may know how to get them.

I have no idea how to contact Verna. She retired from making puppets as far as I know. Sorry Mark!
Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Thanks Tom ! That looks like an interesting site.

I did some more research and found that there is a person named Bill Scott in Pennsylvania who is authorized by Verna to sell copies of the videos that include the plans for both human and animal characters. You can get the recordings in either DVD or VHS format, and the price for video and plans together is $50.00, ($10 less than the site you gave the link to).

I emailed Bill, and he said he only charges what it costs him to make the copies, no profit for him. The price includes the US postage. He said he will make the copies and send them on demand, or in other words, when someone sends him a check or money order, he makes them and sends them out. He does not keep any "in stock".

His address :

William Scott
1042 Warren Road
West Chester, PA

Hope this helps those that are interested....

:bigsmile:

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
I should have said "Patterns" instead of "plans" in the last post !

They are on 11" x 17" paper.

Gotta get my terminology straight !

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Mark,
I remember hearing about him. I bought the two VHS tapes Verna put out with the intention of making my own puppet, and never opened them. (No time.) I ended up selling them on eBay for $25. I understand they are great, but it will take time and a learning curve to create your own pieces.

Now I've got to dig out the Mike Brose kits I bought and figure out when to make them...
Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

sier5
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of sier5
I was actually just thinking about making them for fun. I would still buy the puppets I would perform with.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
From time to time, there are Finley videos in Ebay.

You can also check out YouTube for other puppet making videos... Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Dr. Zenitram
View Profile
Regular user
New York
156 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zenitram
Quote:
On 2008-11-16 08:19, sier5 wrote:
I was actually just thinking about making them for fun. I would still buy the puppets I would perform with.

These are awesome for soft puppets: http://www.projectpuppet.com/
The patterns are great for beginners and teach a lot of foundation.

I made my first one last month, you could have a nice puppet in about 3-4 evenings of work.
Will you, won't you, ESP with me?
BScott8870
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
230 Posts

Profile of BScott8870
Wanlu,

I used my Bob Tomato and Larry Cucumber puppets for the first time in Bible class yesterday. The kids really loved them!

Our lesson was GOD MADE YOU SPECIAL and really dove tailed perfectly into using these two characters. I will try and send pictures soon. Our digital camera broke a few weeks back. I am sending to the repair soon.

THANKS again for a job well done! I will be in touch in the spring about more custom puppets once I have a little more money!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Puppet making (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL