The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Fire (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The Los Angeles area is a mess right now with at least two major freeways closed due to the poor visibility of smoke and ash. There is a big fire to the north and another to the east.

I live to the south of Los Angeles, and there is no fire here, but look up in the sky and a huge dark cloud is there for all to see. It just started to "snow" ashes here.

Breathing will be a real job for the next few days.

Prayers to all those affected.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You ever driven through smoke? I tried once near Sacramento and figured "little fire, won't be bad" and I hit that smoke and saw nothing, I was terrified I was going to hit a car in front of me or get hit so I slowed down gradually and got out. Scariest moment I ever had driving. Hang tough and quit building houses in overgrown areas you rich people!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I've never driven through smoke that thick, but I have driven across the desert during a wind storm. In a desert, a wind storm becomes a sand storm, and the visibility is very similar to what you describe. The car in front of me was alternately visible, and then not. Scary as heck.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I live in an area with dust storms. We have an old lake bed with, I think, alkali, and if the wind picks up the dust there you are right, it is like smoke but nothing like that smoke I drove through, I couldn't even see the hood. What I really hate, and the SF guys can vouch for this, is the fog in particular up around what is called Skyline South of the city. I am a wussy I guess but I hate fog....
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
I live in Buena Park, six miles from the nearest OC fire, and our evening air is thick with smoke and ashes (think of that scene from 'Schindler's List' and you've got the right idea).

Could be worse -- there's a Café member I know who lives MUCH closer to the flames. Bill, you doing okay out there? Bill... ?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-11-15 19:53, Cliffg37 wrote:
I've never driven through smoke that thick, but I have driven across the desert during a wind storm. In a desert, a wind storm becomes a sand storm, and the visibility is very similar to what you describe. The car in front of me was alternately visible, and then not. Scary as heck.

I remember driving through some blizzard "whiteouts" back when I was driving my old Rambler bomb, and my windshield wipers were busted. Nothing but pure white in every direction.

Man, I was scared ****less! it's a miracle from above that I got out alive!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Good things the fire hit now so they will be primed for mud slides later on while people build on the same land so they can burn again in a couple years.

I drove in one hard snow, don't know if it was white out but I was the only idiot on the road. I had no choice, my dog was injured and the emergency vet was 50 miles away.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I drove through the hypnotic maze of a blizzard after a magic performance in Northern Michigan. I thought I was the only car on the road for well over a half hour. Then I was passed by an unmarked, grey green truck, hauling a - -, loaded with long tubes marked radioactive.
POOF!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-11-16 18:49, kregg wrote:
I drove through the hypnotic maze of a blizzard after a magic performance in Northern Michigan. I thought I was the only car on the road for well over a half hour. Then I was passed by an unmarked, grey green truck, hauling a - -, loaded with long tubes marked radioactive.

Holy crap!!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Since snow is the topic I didn't see snow until I was in my 20s. I got caught in a storm at night and, I swear, I thought it was ash from a fire because it looked like ash and I'm an idiot. I never heard of or seen a snow plow and had one chase me down the highway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Fire (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL