The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Apple MacBook (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Ray
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ray
Hello everyone! I'm going to get an Apple MacBook but I'm not sure wether to take the black one or the white one..? Any opinions? Thank's!
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Black one has more stuff. Like memory and a DVD burner.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Apple refreshed their Macbook line recently. The white Macbooks are the older model, and the black ones are the newer with faster processors, better graphic cards, etc. One thing to take note of: Apple ditched Firewire on the new models. Firewire is still available on the white Macbook and on the Macbook Pro's. So, if you have Firewire peripherals be aware that they will not connect to the new black Macbooks.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
The Apple black Macbook that I looked at recently model MB404LL/A 13.3-inch Laptop (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive) has one Firewire 400 build in...
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
In Apples current laptop lineup, firewire is ONLY available on the MacBook Pro.
There is NO FireWire connection on the standard MacBooks, nor is there any way to create one with any sort of adaptor.

And if you go MacBook Pro, you'll only be getting FireWire 800, not FireWire 400.
There is an adaptor cable/dongle to get 400 into an 800 slot though, it's just an extra item to have to carry around.

Apple is taking a lot of heat for leaving FireWire off the MacBook, and if they take enough of that heat, they may just put it back in the next MacBook release.

From a money perspective, the jump from the standard MacBook to the MacBook Pro (and FireWire) is going to be at least $700.00.

I'm a Mac fan all the way back to System 6, and I have to say I think Apple totally blew it on this issue. There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of folks who use FireWire for additional hard drive storage, getting video from their CamCorder to their computer, working with almost ANY semi-pro or pro audio interface, etc.

Perhaps the strangest thing about it though is that FireWire is an apple creation.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
As a rule of thumb for buying computers, I say buy the computer with the best capabilities you can afford. Any computer you buy is eventually going to be considered obsolete by newer models eventually, but getting models with the best capabilities you can will allow your computer to stay current longer.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Apple MacBook MB466LL/A has no FireWire port;
Apple MacBook MB404LL/A Black has one FireWire 400;
Apple MacBook Pro MB133LL/A has one FireWire 400 and one Firewire 800.

The price difference is about $600 beteen a Pro and MacBook.
Apple must hear enough of "no FirWire no sale" that the new Black comes w/ one. The only difference is it's w/out the beautiful, sleek, sturdy aluminum unibody casing.
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Yup, the White and Black models are the older ones. There is no longer any "current" Black model.

The Aluminum are the "most" current, as far as guts and case design.

They kept the White plastic model, and did give it a bit of a spec bump. It does offer standard FireWire 400.

But, if you buy a black model, it will be an "older" one. If you buy a White one directly from Apple, it will be a newer one. If you buy a white one from a 3rd party vendor, it could be older or newer. Be sure of what you're getting. Aluminum are the newest.

Newest doesn't necessarily mean best for your needs though. It's pretty easy to look at the specs on the Apple site, or another store, and see what features each model offers for the price. Find yourself the best combo of price/features based on what you need.

The lack of FireWire may not be a big deal if you don't already own FireWire hard drives, or do any importing of movies from tape-based camcorders.

However, if you do own those drives, or you do want to import footage from a tape-based camera (Digital8, MiniDV, HDV, etc) then you'll need FireWire.

The list goes on...

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Mr. Ray
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ray
Thank's everybody!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Yeah, the Aluminum is a piece of amazing machine; but with all the reviews I read, the screen/display is a piece of crap.
What a shame.. I almost order it online..
But I have iPod Touch and the screen is perfect!
Whom do I believe? I guess I've to stop by a Real Store to see for myself.
The deliberation continues in my quest of a new laptop.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I wouldn't say that the screen in the new 13" aluminum Macbook is "crap". It's not as good as some of the screens in other Mac machines (not as wide of a viewing angle, etc), but I believe that most people sitting directly in front of it wouldn't have anything but a pleasant experience.

With that said, I feel that anyone should get hands-on with any piece of expensive equipment they plan to buy, regardless of brand. Don't take anyone's word on the Internet for anything, definitely go check stuff out with your own eyes and hands. That helps curb buyer's remorse a great deal.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Yep, the new models are aluminum, not black. They have black trim, which is what I was thinking about. As for Firewire, I agree, I'm bummed that they are phasing it out because I do own Firewire peripherals. However, Silverking, I doubt they will bring it back. The nitial reviews for USB 3.0 seem really positive, and it seems like Firewire is truly on the way out.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2008-11-22 19:59, bugjack wrote:
Silverking, I doubt they will bring it back. The nitial reviews for USB 3.0 seem really positive, and it seems like Firewire is truly on the way out.

Actually, I think you're probably right when you say they won't bring it back (to the lower end laptops) but I'm not sure it's on the way out just yet for higher end Mac laptops.

There's an entire industry (professional audio) built around FireWire as a means of moving signal around that can't respond quickly enough to FireWire disappearing any time soon.
The huge pro audio sellers like MOTU, RME, and others are all FireWire based, and still offering only FireWire and USB-2 protocols.

Everything does eventually disappear, so FireWire will undoubtedly be replaced at some point......but it's still far too mainstream to go anywhere yet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Apple MacBook (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL